• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX - Do NOT want OC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheAlmightyOS

I am having an unusual problem. My motherboard (Asus Sabertooth 990FX) is overclocking my CPU and I don't want it to. All I have is the stock air cooling in a Antec 1200 case and the room that it is in averages 80-85'F (lots of computers back there.)

Can someone help me set my CPU to stock values? CPU-Z screenshots attached
cpuz_tab1.PNG
cpuz_tab3.PNG

What's wrong with a free 300Mhz overclock???

Anyways, check the BIOS for any "auto overclock" or "Auto OC" options. Make sure the RAM is set manually to the sticker's timings, 9-9-9-24 or whatever they are. Auto tuner comes to mind here, make sure it's off/disabled.

EDIT: Ninja'd by everyone!!!! :sn:

Clear the CMOS and then load default settings, that should take care of it.

If it was that simple I would not be here. Although not mentioned in my first post, I have set the board back to defaults multiple ways. Cleared CMOS, reloaded default settings, flashed the BIOS... It automatically goes back to overclocking my cpu

What's wrong with a free 300Mhz overclock???

I know, Right? once I get adequate cooling I will return to these settings. But for now I need to scale it back. The pc is shutting down due to temp panic when I play games and other cpu intensive tasks

If it was that simple I would not be here. Although not mentioned in my first post, I have set the board back to defaults multiple ways. Cleared CMOS, reloaded default settings, flashed the BIOS... It automatically goes back to overclocking my cpu
Ok, well if that has already been done, Atmins suggestion of setting the FSB to 200 Mhz is where I would start. the next thing I would look for is SP suggestion, see if the Overclock tuner is on. This isn't the first time I've seen Asus boards set the FSB to 216, it actually happens to me on both my Sabertooth and M5A99X Evo boards. Though, usually it only happens when I have my Fx chips installed, I don't recall seeing it happen with a Phenom or Thuban. After you set the FSB to 200 post up a Cpu-Z memory and Spd tab so we can make sure the Ram timings and Mhz are set correctly.

Mine does the same thing upon a BIOS reset - Sounds like it's getting reset each time you reboot or turn it off.
Check the CMOS battery and be sure the CMOS clear jumper is in the correct place.

I find it interesting that my rev.1 Sabertooth does NOT set the FSB to 216 on anything, including the FX's. Yet this is at least the third thread I've seen this in now.
Maybe the rev.2 boards have a bios issue? I'd like to know if it's one particular bios or all of them.

I know, Right? once I get adequate cooling I will return to these settings. But for now I need to scale it back. The pc is shutting down due to temp panic when I play games and other cpu intensive tasks
Maybe I missed it, but, the voltage doesn't change when it does this, does it? If it's still stock voltage, the overclocking really won't affect temps much. It's voltage that would increase the heat output. ;)

Didn't look. Thanks.
I still find it interesting though. Mine has never done it.
That's an old bios though. Update it.

No problem!

Didn't know it was an old BIOS though, good idea to update for sure.

I find it interesting that my rev.1 Sabertooth does NOT set the FSB to 216 on anything, including the FX's. Yet this is at least the third thread I've seen this in now.
Maybe the rev.2 boards have a bios issue? I'd like to know if it's one particular bios or all of them.
My Sabertooth on BIOS 813 did it, as well as my M5A99X Evo BIOS 1604. I do not recall my CHV doing it.

Maybe I missed it, but, the voltage doesn't change when it does this, does it? If it's still stock voltage, the overclocking really won't affect temps much. It's voltage that would increase the heat output. ;)
If it's on Auto the board may be raising it 1.488 sure doesn't look like stock.

My Sabertooth on BIOS 813 did it, as well as my M5A99X Evo BIOS 1604. I do not recall my CHV doing it.

If it's on Auto the board may be raising it 1.488 sure doesn't look like stock. not for a phenom2 anyway. That is HI Vcore.

My CHV Z and non-Z neither do it no matter what bios. In fact I normally run a very early one even with FX processor.

RGone...

wow. Lot's of activity in here. So I set my FFB to 200 instead of 216 as suggested. It dropped my core voltage down and in turn heat generated has gone down. Mission Accomplished! Thank you everyone!
cpuz_tab1_after.PNG

Wow, almost 0.1V dropped, auto vCore makes me sad :(

Glad you got it all sorted out though!

Back