• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Motherboard? (Mini-ITX build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

So my friend's MSI GT60 laptop has gone bad. Processor and Ram should still be good though. He offered to sell it to me for $150 and i was hoping to salvage the CPU and RAM to build a mini-ITX living room HT/Gaming PC. The CPU it has is an i7-3610qm and 12gb of RAM. Good start right? Upon inspection of motherboards though, it seems finding properly compatible sockets for the 45w TDP of that CPU is a little vague. Ive found a few motherboards though and would like a little guidance into picking the right one.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/QM67/X9SCV-QV4.cfm
This one specifies "Socket G2 (rPGA 988B) up to 45W, Intel® 2nd Generation Core i7/i5/i3, Celeron processor B800 series supported, up to 35W with Intel® 3rd Generation Processors."
Well the i7-3610qm is a 3rd gen processor...and that description states for 3rd gen it only supports 35w? Or will it still work? I can't seem to find a specific supported CPU list for this mobo.

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard_view.asp?productid=996&proname=NF9G-QM77
Now i see this one is a QM77 chipset as opposed to supermicro's QM67 chipset, and it specifies in the CPU support list it supports other 3rd gen 45w TDP i7 CPUs, but not the 3610qm specifically. However, if it supports other 3rd gen i7-36xxQM 45w CPUs, the 3610qm should be good to go yes? This one seems like the one to go with upon further inspection.

That is all i could seem to find that is viable to use for that socket. Maybe you guys are aware of something else that i am not. Also, would a nicer cooler be recommended over the packaged one with the mobo? Any recommendations there? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Back