• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best $2,000 gaming build to be used with 34" UltraWide Curved Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nice build!! would this be overkill ?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kkMtyc
with those 2 velociraptors i'll fly to the moon hahaha

Haha I hope you're trolling now

I own a raptor drive (15k, not 10k to boot), and its... not even close to an SSD still haha. Dont waste your money.

Funny you bring up that sabertooth, I just bought a mark 1. The mark S is literally just a paint job, and the feature set on the sabertooth is lacking for z97 compared to the board I showed you.

the black/white motif is killer though.

edit: I chose the 850w gpu specifically for potential for SLI in the future. A 500-600W psu would be more than plenty for that build. No real reason to get a 750, as its too far over to be used, but not far enough to allow for an upgrade in the future.

yeah i dont know what i was trying to do there lol. for the hdd would you go seagate barracuda 2tb or caviar blue 1tb ?

yeah i dont know what i was trying to do there lol. for the hdd would you go seagate barracuda 2tb or caviar blue 1tb ?

2tb for sure. Its a negligable amount more than the 1tb for this level of build. That said, you can get a 1tb now, and add a larger HDD later if you need it, thats always relatively simple to do.

ill stick with The 2tb. however, I read somewhere that the seagate tends to die quickly.

A bit dated, but, it is the best we have really...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...013-Edition)?highlight=hardware+failure+rates

BoB said:
I chose the 850w gpu specifically for potential for SLI in the future. A 500-600W psu would be more than plenty for that build. No real reason to get a 750, as its too far over to be used, but not far enough to allow for an upgrade in the future.
If I can run an overclocked Hex core and a 295x2 on a 750W PSU, he can run 2 980ti's and a quad on a quality PSU. Now, if he bios mods the cards to break their limit, I would go with higher. But yeah, that system wont hit 600W when gaming. Stress testing is when you may break 700W. ;)

Last edited:
ill go with 850 as well. Will overclock probably..because why not. and Also who knows what the future brings :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't even know anymore. *kills himself*

I think the 850W G2 Supernova is only $10 more, so... have at it... without killing yourself. :p

I think the 850W G2 Supernova is only $10 more, so... have at it... without killing yourself. :p

Well 150 for the CPU overclocked seems reasonable, and 300w for overclocked 980's doesnt seem outlandish either. You must be AWFULLY close with the 5820k and a 295x2 on a 750!

CADAM -> hold off for a few weeks before you buy anything though.

According to the Kill A Watt, I sniff 600W (at the wall mind you) with the cards overclocked too. That is 4.5Ghz on the CPU @ 1.27v and 975/1500 on the GPUs gaming. So with 90% efficiency that is around 540W actual use.

Now, when I pour on the voltage in the 295x2 (power limit not low like NVIDIA) and push the clocks to its limits, and clock the 5820K to 4.8Ghz or so, I have pulled over 850W at the wall and went past the spec of this PSU. BUt that was overclocking to the limits and benchmarking. Not exactly realistic.

But NVIDIA, particularly reference models have low power limits... typically only a few/several percent. The aftermarket may reach higher than that but not by much, it depends on the card.

what features does the sabertooth lack compared to the one you showed me? (I saved your build). also.. gaze at this please ?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PureBlackFire/saved/fpbrxr

I thought this was a perfect build. until I read what you said about the mobo and now I'm having doubts again hahaha. yeah, the color is sweet..meh..also, I stuck with the phantecks cpu cooler because ..well.. it's white. read that the noctua is quieter though..

I'm about to give up on the color scheme and build me a skittle themed pc hahaha

oh, why hold off for a few weeks? [my half finished fl studio projects are waiting for me in my iMac *throws up* and I have a few deadlines for some labels which is why I need to get going with this] .. But if the said wait is worth it, I guess I can figure something out

the mark s and mark 1 are completely identical. Its literally just a "special edition" with a different color. If you're decent with spraying a rattle can, you can achieve the same effect for 4$.

I bought a mark 1 that was... not the right price. Only reason I bought it. The extreme 6 or OC formula are much better buys for the money than the sabertooth.

Since we have time to kill, I'd like to address that monitor. While it'd probably be amazing for gaming, I personally find multiple monitors to be better for productivity than a single huge monitor. ESPECIALLY with FL studio, I can run an entirely different program on one window and fill fl studio on another. Shrinking and sizing is just a pain and I find it detracts from the experience. Food for thought.

AMD's new GPUs should be out in the next couple of weeks, and they might cause price drops on other GPUs.

ah I see.. well for me waiting means losing money at the moment. planning on having a final build to order Monday.

Back