• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best $2,000 gaming build to be used with 34" UltraWide Curved Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cadam

Registered
Hey guys, could you please tell me which is a better $2,000 gaming build? (To be used with a 34” UltraWide Cured Monitor) (3440x1440)

These are options i found on the web:
1. http://techbuyersguru.com/2000build.php
2. http://choosemypc.net/build/?budget=2000&oc=true&options=od [Set to $2000, Overclock: yes, +Optical Drive]

I could sway away from these options if needed. This PC would also be intensively used for Music Production [FL Studio] which requires a really good CPU + RAM

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U14S
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H Black RAM: Patriot 2x8GB DDR3-2133
SSD: Crucial MX200 500GB
HARD DRIVE: Toshiba 4TB 7200RPM
GRAPHICS CARD: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB
CASE: Corsair Carbide Air 540 Black
POWER SUPPLY: EVGA Supernova G2 850W
OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung 24x DVD Burner
or
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core CPU
COOLER: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X [x2]
CASE: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower
POWER SUPPLY: Antec HCG M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX
OPTICAL DRIVE: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer
or
CPU: Intel Core I7 4790k
CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro h80i
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240gb
HARD DRIVE: 1tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
GRAPHICS CARD: Evga Gtx 980 Superclocked
CASE: Corsair Carbide 500r Gaming Case
POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR HX Series HX850

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:
Go with a 980Ti instead of two 980s.
Get 4 sticks of RAM on the X99 system and a SeaSonic G550 PSU then you'll be set.

What is the best gaming/music production computer i can build for $2000?

I would like to get the best specs i possibly can for this much. For this PC I would use a 34" UltraWide Monitor (3440x1440) which is not included in my budget. This PC would also be used for music production [FL Studio] which is very CPU + RAM hungry. HDMI motherboard is preferred.. Thanks all in advance.

You don't need x99 for fl studio or any vsts that come with it. You're actually better off getting 16gb ram and a 4790.

Unless you're planning on doing illegal stuff, take your budget and apply it to vsts you're gonna use.

You don't need x99 for fl studio or any vsts that come with it. You're actually better off getting 16gb ram and a 4790.

Unless you're planning on doing illegal stuff, take your budget and apply it to vsts you're gonna use.

I already have all the 3rd party vst plugins from my old system :) ..so this budget is strictly for hardware. My old system [21 inch iMac which ran both osx and win7] would have such a difficult time playing complex projects - i don't want this ever happening again. Being creative sucks when your system doesn't allow you 'freedom'.

I know the feeling... ok so vsts are good. Do you have a good midi/input controller keyboard?
Only reason I ask is 2000 is vastly above a system you will even begin to use. 5820k setup and a 980ti is only around 1300-1500$ really. You don't need 32 gb either, 16 is more than plenty.

I know the feeling... ok so vsts are good. Do you have a good midi/input controller keyboard?
Only reason I ask is 2000 is vastly above a system you will even begin to use. 5820k setup and a 980ti is only around 1300-1500$ really. You don't need 32 gb either, 16 is more than plenty.

Yeah, I have 2 midi controllers/m-audio profire 610 audio interface [i need a new USB one - but they're only about $150] - 2 Yamaha HS50m Monitors + Woofer..etc. I assumed that with the $2000 system i'd also be able to play every game that i think of on ultra settings/flawlessly.

How does this sound?

COOLER: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GRAPHICS CARD: GeForce GTX 980ti 6GB
CASE: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower
OPTICAL DRIVE: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer

Pretty much what anyone here could suggest.

That 980ti is a freaking beast. Push comes to shove, you can add another one down the road. I'd go with at least a 2tb hdd and a 512gb ssd for this budget as well. That phantecks is good, but not better than a d15 that costs the same. Make sure it's on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you REALLY need a dvd player haha

Pretty much what anyone here could suggest.

That 980ti is a freaking beast. Push comes to shove, you can add another one down the road. I'd go with at least a 2tb hdd and a 512gb ssd for this budget as well. That phantecks is good, but not better than a d15 that costs the same. Make sure it's on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you REALLY need a dvd player haha

COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive [NEED 512GB]
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM ------ maybe Toshiba 4TB 7200RPM?
GRAPHICS CARD: GeForce GTX 980ti 6GB
CASE: Something White.

I updated the Cooler.
Can you please update this ^ with the [2tb hdd and a 512gb ssd] you mentioned? because i'm retarded. Feels like i'm close to my setup! About to head to newegg [yay]

You don't "need" bigger drives. It's just for a build of this budget and caliber, it's best if you make it last as long as possible. A 2tb drive costs around 70$ now vs the 50$ for the 1tb. Things like that.

I'm on my phone, and others have more experience with x99 so I'd wait for them to chime in. For this setup you really don't need super extreme overclocking so yiu can save some money on the motherboard. I'd go ahead and get an extreme 4 over the 3 because they are almost the same price.

You don't "need" bigger drives. It's just for a build of this budget and caliber, it's best if you make it last as long as possible. A 2tb drive costs around 70$ now vs the 50$ for the 1tb. Things like that.

I'm on my phone, and others have more experience with x99 so I'd wait for them to chime in. For this setup you really don't need super extreme overclocking so yiu can save some money on the motherboard. I'd go ahead and get an extreme 4 over the 3 because they are almost the same price.

i think i have it !

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7nX7FT

right on the money :)

For what it's worth... you and I have very similar interests. A z97 build will suit your interests and last you quite a long time AND be much cheaper. I've been kicking around for an x99 build for a few months, but you're still paying through the nose for a motherboard and ddr4 compared to z97. The performance gains are there for sure, but I can't say they will be a night and day difference. I settled on z97 for $/performance ratio, as the x99 isn't quite there yet for me. Just some food for thought...

- - - Updated - - -

does this seem better for me ? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zmmzdC
maybe the gtx 980ti instead of the 2 970

Haha you ninja'd my suggestion with your own build :)

I'd still go with the 980ti for that monitor. 3.5gb won't last long on that resolution.

yeah I'm gonna get the 980TI. about the z97 and x99, I'm still undecided. money isn't really an issue so I wouldn't mind the extra for the x99. but if the difference is slight...meh. will come to a decision this weekend :) I do appreciate your input throughout this headf*ucking amount of information lol

yeah I'm gonna get the 980TI. about the z97 and x99, I'm still undecided. money isn't really an issue so I wouldn't mind the extra for the x99. but if the difference is slight...meh. will come to a decision this weekend :) I do appreciate your input throughout this headf*ucking amount of information lol

Its not really about an absolute dollar amount for me. x99 is CLEARLY a superior chip set. However, unless you go with a 1000$ chip, youre upgrading potential gets pretty limited. They have some xeons that'll work, but those are ridiculous money.

For sound work, 8 threads is PLENTY. a 4790k with decent ram and a quality ssd will absolutely burn through any issues youre having now. Id say it boils down to a "just because you can doesnt mean you should" kinda thing. That said, the x99 would last you a bit longer with 4 extra threads, but that wont matter for FL studio. They only relatively recently became multi threaded, but I dont see the benefit of running of running 12 vs 8 threads. For games, the 4790k still puts out amazing fps numbers, so I'd rely on it providing a solid 2-3 years (if not more, look at those "ancient" i7 2600k's! Still putting out respectable performance and thats almost a 5 year old chip)

That said, its up to you.

Heres a cool build. You dont need anywhere near an 850w psu. I chose that for in the off chance you do want to SLI in the future, and it wasn't a whole lot of extra money

Back