• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Randomly Resetting and Then Failing to POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

So basically, long story short, my computer has been abruptly resetting itself seemingly once a day (it's done it twice in the past two days) when it's idling. When it tries to POST again after it resets, it POSTs, resets, POSTs, resets, and never really seems to get out of that little perpetual rut until I manually shut it off. So it never really makes it back to the Windows screen, it just stays frozen at a black screen as I listen to it POST every few seconds.

After letting it stay off, unplugging it, plugging it back in and then turning it on, it sometimes WILL actually make it to the desktop, but then it will reset itself again within a minute or so and get back into its little endless POSTing attempt. Looking at the Event Viewer, it's saying it is Critical and it is Event 41, which doesn't really give me much information.

I think this is RAM issue because sometimes I'll get lucky if I go in and take out some sticks. Before this weird reset issue was happening, once at least every other day as I turned on the computer in the morning, the fans and LEDs would go on, it would wait about 2 seconds, and then turn off. About 2 seconds later it would turn itself on again, and then it would just stay on without POSTing. In order to fix this, I would have to turn it off, unplug it, turn off the PSU, and then plug it back in, turn it back on, then hit the power switch on the PC and THEN it would POST.

Originally I thought this was a PSU issue, back when I had a Thermaltake 650w about a month ago, it was doing this whole "reset abruptly" issue and then perpetually attempt to POST but keep resetting. I got a Corsair 750w, and though it never had the issue for weeks, it finally started doing it again, and that's worrisome considering it's a whole new PSU now. I'm hoping that for the love of god it's not a motherboard or SSD problem, but...

Sometimes I'll get RAM errors on the motherboard's POST code, one time I got a "RAM is not plugged in" error when pulling out certain sticks.

My temperatures are fine. What is causing this to happen? Currently I am on this desktop with my BIOS reset to "optimized defaults" just in case I screwed anything up. For one thing, when I use the AI Suite 3 software, I can see that it says my RAM clock speed is 1327MHz, even though it's supposed to be 1333MHz and even the BIOS and basically every other program I use to see it says that. Could this be causing something weird to happen?

Here's the specs:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Hero
CPU - Intel i7 4771 @ 3.5GHz
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw Series 4GB 1333MHz x4 (16GB total)
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
PSU - Corsair CX Series CX750M 750w
Optical Drive - DVD Multi Recorder

It started doing this ever since I moved my desk over to another outlet, and this outlet is connected to the "light" switch which turns it on and off, however only one of the ports in the pair is affected by the switch. So I have the surge protector plugged into the port that is not connected to the switch. But, if it could possibly be causing an issue... I got an extension cord and have the PC plugged into that, and the extension cord is getting its power from a different outlet. I'll report back if any more resets happen...

As long as the outlet isn't blatantly wired wrong, it won't make a difference.

I also have a case with buttons that have a tendency to do stuff similarly bad on my Asus P2B-F motherboard. Sometimes, pressing the power button makes it turn off, but then back on and may cause the system to just sit there or the BIOS falsely reporting a keyboard error.

Last edited:
For the past 5 days or so, since I started using a different outlet, it has been working fine and never has reset again. I also have the BIOS settings back to what I had them set to previously. I'll update if it resets, though.

I was having this exact same problem for the past couple weeks. It was a combination of things.

1) My power cord was not tight to the PSU.
2) My ATX cable was not tight to the mobo.
3) I had a bad ram stick.

I removed a stick tightened everything up and it has been working great ever since.

Back