• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with q9300 p43

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hprodigy

First of all greatings to all
I am new member, dont know much about oc, but trying to find the answers.
I have q9300 never clocked, worked on some hp cheep board.
Now i got for 20E this board
GA-EP43-DS3
it says it has
fsb1600 (O.C.)/1333/1066/800 MHz
-my question is what are my options and which ddr2 ram is suitable
1066 or 800

thanx.

You want to get the fastest DDR2 RAM you can find but set the RAM speed to a lower speed in bios than the RAM is rated for to give some headroom. For instance, if you can get 1066 DDR2 then set the RAM speed in bios to 800. Then start increasing the FSB in small increments, like 5 mhz. As you raise the FSB, the RAM frequency will get faster and will be moving toward the RAM's rated speed. You will probably also need to increase the CPU core voltage at some point in order to keep the cores stable since you are making them run faster than they are rated for. Stress test for stability of the overclock with IntelBurnTest. You also need to monitor the temp of the CPU as overclocking makes it run hotter. Watch the TJ Max temp as you overclock and run the stress tests. RealTemp is a good program for this. If your overclock is not stable then you will fail the stress test which could mean anything from having IntelBurnTest throw up a failure message to a blue screen.

What are you using to cool the CPU? Stock Intel cooler or an aftermarket unit that affords better cooling? That is a quad core chip and will start to heat up quickly as you overclock.

EP43 platform isn't the greatest for overclocking so you may not get very far... You would want the 1600Mhz ram so you have headroom to overclock.

Here is a link to an overclocking guide. :)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...lock-C2Q-(Quads)-and-C2D-(Duals)-A-Guide-v1-1
That's a DDR2 board, ED.

I'd say DDR2-1066 or bust.

Or DDR2-800 at the very least (of decent quality, preferably).

The board probably won't overclock very far though, being that it has no heatsinks on the VRM's and only a passive heatsink on the Northbridge chipset.

That's a DDR2 board, ED.

I'd say DDR2-1066 or bust.

Or DDR2-800 at the very least (of decent quality, preferably).

The board probably won't overclock very far though, being that it has no heatsinks on the VRM's and only a passive heatsink on the Northbridge chipset.

Do you think i cant oc. my cpu on this mbo over 3ghz? i now have only 4gb ddr2 800 some normal memory without heatthing on it .. micron i think..

Set your memory speed to 666 and start increasing the FSB in small increments while monitoring temps. Max core temps should be in the 55-60c range and max CPU (motherboard socket area) in the 60-65c range under full load like Prime85 blend test for instance. Monitor temps with HWMonitor non pro version. If temps permit, add .025 to core voltage when you can no longer run Prime for 20 minutes without blue screen, lockup or any of the Prime95 worker threads quits. Try to increase the FSB to the point where you once again have your memory at 800 mhz. You can reduce the CPU core multiplier if necessary to help with that.

You want to get the fastest DDR2 RAM you can find but set the RAM speed to a lower speed in bios than the RAM is rated for to give some headroom. For instance, if you can get 1066 DDR2 then set the RAM speed in bios to 800. Then start increasing the FSB in small increments, like 5 mhz. As you raise the FSB, the RAM frequency will get faster and will be moving toward the RAM's rated speed. You will probably also need to increase the CPU core voltage at some point in order to keep the cores stable since you are making them run faster than they are rated for. Stress test for stability of the overclock with IntelBurnTest. You also need to monitor the temp of the CPU as overclocking makes it run hotter. Watch the TJ Max temp as you overclock and run the stress tests. RealTemp is a good program for this. If your overclock is not stable then you will fail the stress test which could mean anything from having IntelBurnTest throw up a failure message to a blue screen.

What are you using to cool the CPU? Stock Intel cooler or an aftermarket unit that affords better cooling? That is a quad core chip and will start to heat up quickly as you overclock.

hi.
i got 8gb ocz platinum 1066 ram
and i have zalman ...5x performa cooler on my q9300...
What memory multiplayer do i have to chose to get 800mhz ?
and than i go to increse fsb 5hz by 5..
Do i have to change anything else in bios or just leave it on auto default?
thanx

Back