• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need me some new tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well later today I'm driving over to Lowes and get a sample piece of that tubing Robert posted about. As for the call to FCPU, Jack is correct. The number I called is still visible on their home page: (1-877-243-8266). Didn't quite catch the guy's name as his tone was quite low, but what he said to me was word for word.

I still have like 6ft of Home Depot tubing and it's rigid as hell, No flexability at all.
Before wasting time, effort, and money, You may want to have robert17...or 18..lol, answer my question about the p/n matching. As we should all know, not all tubing is created equal. So you may nkt get the same results from a different brand... which is why I asked him that question.

Just as with metal alloys, plastics have various 'alloying' elements, additives, that change the final product such that you wind up with a product that has a desired application behavior. In the case of tubing you can have some that is more or less rigid, flexible, greater resistance to breakdown when exposed to various chemicals, UV and heat resistance, and more. A fun one lately is resistance to lower temps. I received samples only a couple of weeks ago of some plastics that remain flexible to -40°F in application.

All that said, a part number is something that is assigned at various stages in the distribution process. Most often no two manufacturers use the same part numbering scheme, nor do any two or more distributors of the same product. I've seen instances where a distributor will use the same product number as the manufacturer when going to market but generally the distributor wants to lock-in their customers with an exclusive relationship and a unique product number and marketing name is a very good way of achieving this.

For instance: Bob makes a plastic tube and calls it 'Bob's Pretty Good Tube', part number BOB123. When Sally the distributor buys it from Bob she has had her marketing department prep up the sales force with literature and samples and has renamed it 'Sally's Really Remarkable Tube', part number XST9900 and the literature is printed with color glossy glam pics of the product in a really cool application scenario with XST9900 as a reference for the customer to use when calling in their order. The customer in turn puts 'Sally's Really Remarkable Tube' in their sales and purchasing module of their software with part number XST9900 as a pass-through linkage. The customer likes the product but can't get a Google hit on part number XST9900 anywhere but at Sally's. Lock-in has occured.

But when Bob sells BOB123 to Eric's Pretty Good Supply House, Eric sets it up in his system as ' Bob's Pretty Good Tube' and uses BOB123 as his product number as well. Bob partners up with Eric on a shared marketing and advertising plan and Eric get's a couple of extra points of discount in purchasing the product, both of them expecting the product recognition and dual marketing efforts to pay off big.

Sally doesn't care about any of that. She is promoting the product as a Sally's product, usually with an enhanced mark-up. Bob doesn't care. He may not sell Sally as many as he does to Eric, nor get his product recognized as Bob's out on the street, but he has several more customers like Sally and the ends justify keeping a high machine utilization and well fed employees. There are several more Erics as well.

Part numbers are what the need is at any level of manufacture, distribution and sales. I've literally seen one product with a dozen or more product numbers at the next stage of distribution. This is a very common marketing and sales tactic, one you are already familiar with but probably haven't thought too much about. Store brand cereals are re-branded products made by your more commonly recognized producers, just that the store isn't sharing in the marketing costs of the Name Brand product and can sell the exact same cereal under it's label at a discount to the consumer.

Robert, thanks? But that doesn't confirm it is the right tubing for the job.

is it the same thing? Or is it a cheap knock off that will spew plasticizer in his loop and cause, at best, maintenance sooner because of all the leaching? There is a reason those in the knkw suggest specific guidelines because it doesn't show that type of behavior. I tried that once and it leeched really quickly which is why I am asking. Again, there is a reason we suggest certain type tubing only. We are just asking for a confirmation it actually is the same exact stuff as you say. ;)

It seems I went through an exercise a couple of years ago on this same topic for someone else. I looked up the MSDS sheet on some tubing from one of the PC supply houses, Frozen or XSPC or other, don't remember exactly. Then got the same info from Home Depot on a similar product. They were a match chemically. I can do the same again. But so can anyone that wants to save a buck.

Going by a commercial supply house, whether it's home depot or a plumbing supply house, playing with various grades of hose, talking to a knowledgeable employee, and coming to your own conclusion may be the best route. Don't take my word for it.

Do as you please. It's your money.

Back