• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Newegg Hurt a Long Time Customer – Lost Overnight Package Pre-Order GTA5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Most of you longtime forum guys know me, and know how serious I am about PC’s and hardware. I have been doing this my whole life, and for at least the past 10 years, chose Newegg as my sole supplier of hardware, games, software, etc. I have actually totaled up my total expenditures with them over the last 7 years to equal exactly 36,090.14. To me, just by sheer volume of purchases, and timeframe of being a customer (10 years) that would make me a very loyal Newegg customer, IMO. With very few complaints coming from me at all. Why did I spend the day totaling up my lifetime newegg orders? Because I am extremely frustrated with how customer service handled an issue the last 3 days and I want to prove a point. Here is a break down of what happened:

1.) Waited 5 years for Grand Theft Auto 5 to be released like the geek that I am.
I placed my pre-order about 2 weeks ago and chose Newegg.com as the supplier since they offered guaranteed Launch Day 9/17 delivery with rush/overnight selected as delivery option. Meanwhile, could have chosen Amazon, Gamestop, Microcenter, and 50 other online retailers but I took my business to “The Egg” as usual.
My total cost was 59.99 for GTA5 plus 22.50 for overnight shipping with rush order.

2.) On 9/16 Newegg did the proper job and rush shipped my package on 9/16 at 7:45 in the AM EST. Meaning they packaged and handed it off to UPS first thing in the morning which showed a definite ship date of 9/17 (Launch Day). Woo hoo I was extremely excited knowing it was shipped and I would be able to play it on Launch Day as ordered. I actually took off from work the whole day, and cancelled plans with my girl, hoping to be playing GTA5 and the whole day. What a mistake that was. 

3.) On 9/17 Launch Day came………. and went………
I waited patiently from 12pm until 7pm at night. The package never showed up. I checked tracking it says it never left the Newegg UPS Deposit Warehouse in Edison, NJ. I guess the UPS facility is built into the Newegg building, so tracking still currently shows an initial origin scan, but after that, no new scans. Meaning they scanned it in, and its magically gone. So last night (launch night), I spent an hour on the phone with UPS as well as Newegg. First UPS told me Newegg had to facilitate an investigation so to call them. So I call NEwegg, and now newegg tells me I need to initiate a trace and investigation with UPS first. Back and forth BS. The newegg rep, Brittany, was extremely rude to me telling me its my responsibility now, since Newegg handed the package off to UPS, it has nothing to do with them anymore and hinting I am being dishonest about my conversation with UPS. Pretty much she stated, Newegg did the job and shipped the package, now it’s a waiting game which takes up to 10 days before we find out the next step. Would I like a refund or replacement after the 10 day investigation is up? But no refunds on overnight shipping, plus a minimum 7 to 10 day wait on refund or replacement. At this point I was very very mad. Especially after the fact that I pre-ordered GTA5 with Newegg using the Launch Day Overnight package so that I would have the game on launch day.

So, after much arguing and me blowing my stack over the phone, they offered a 5 dollar gift card, get this, to be spent on future purchases for newegg merchandise, but they insisted they could not refund the shipping, since it is the carriers fault. Man was I furious at this point, I insisted for them to look at my account to see what a loyal customer I have been over the last 10 years, never a complaint from me, all I wanted was my money back and shipping refunded. That’s all I requested. Its just a frickin video game, **** happens, lost packages happen, and I understand this. (even though they left me stranded on launch day without GTA5 while the rest of the world that pre-ordered was blowing up **** in the los santos streets while I was scratching my ***) I was still willing to overlook this HUGE mis-understanding and problem if they would simply refund my shipping and original order charges and let me go on with my day so I can go to gamestop and pick up a local copy somewhere. That’s all I ask, Newegg. This whole experience has left a huge sour taste in my mouth.

So, I call back again later. And the Newegg customer support so far has started a claim, refunded me the 22.50 overnight shipping charges that I paid for. (but said she worked her butt off, they didn’t want to refund me, but she got her supervisor to do it THIS ONE TIME, WOW) But, they are making me wait an additonal 7 to 10 days in order to get my money refunded. To me, this is unacceptable. I shouldn’t be the one waiting and dealing with UPS, I am the loyal customer. I should be refunded immediately, and Newegg should deal with UPS. I have pre-ordered over 2 weeks ago, and I placed an order with your company, I never received the product. Why is it my responsibility now to wait until you and UPS solve the problem? I am requesting a full refund asap. I cannot wait any longer. I checked Amazon.com store policy and if UPS loses the shipment, Amazon sends you a next day product replacement free of charge. Read example here:
http://consumerist.com/2008/01/03/u...azon-sends-you-a-new-one-via-private-courier/

Newegg instead, insults the customer with rude remarks and makes them wait 10 days for any resolution.

As promised, a list of my last 10 years of purchases from Newegg, hoping that someone at Upper Management reads this.

Loyal Newegg Customer Sales Report
Dominick “” “””””””
2003 through 2013
10 Year Customer

Invoice Amount
158020435 97.99
158020415 1597.98
171628096 21.83
173731317 304.98
72351800 79.02
68786737 99.99
87201249 551.28
156657058 1060.50
156658358 99.98
89952318 903.70
78609256 56.99
76803893 681.99
28255036 1997.98
32023215 44.66
32023195 301.64
89566382 924.29
85724426 239.98
72825783 1847.72
73112434 40.98
80682085 1649.99
75307094 23.24
60994546 60.34
60994526 533.14
64614608 588.22
64615088 1173.98
61698206 534.98
67245386 78.85
74481428 332.73
74586028 222.61
54125305 184.23
75586208 1243.40
78928427 586.62
54658585 672.25
62918491 101.91
62918471 568.66
64553392 99.52
64553372 540.47
58293554 2054.32
67736831 593.33
42753481 540.12
81830306 880.12
28062443 554.99
40613083 757.10
41189463 159.99
40943744 169.95
40361082 159.99
41474804 117.99
44706604 127.84
41365487 23.98
46606863 162.81
47296083 279.99
50723886 899.93
51560807 632.99
51676067 70.12
51853748 42.92
52521968 256.08
54334647 524.00
54336367 274.34
53797946 35.30
53808466 447.97
55465907 11.90
41654653 227.46
56604907 87.87
57153927 687.42
55625726 816.72
57882307 188.23
57159528 394.71
59636208 618.13
61315727 606.12
60403588 405.84
58861946 40.63
26025983 1940.45
26056543 11.98
3913745 80.99
LIFETIME PURCHASES =36,090.14

**UPDATE 9-19-13**

Newegg eventually handled itself in an exemplary manner last night. I want to thank 2 awesome newegg representatives for really being what a true CS should be. Natalie Romero and Freddy Angel. I highly recommend any OCF members to contact either of these two with any issues.

I ended up posting on the newegg Facebook page and got an immediate email and call. They immediately agreed with me and said. "They would have been pissed off also if they pre ordered a game and took off work expecting the guaranteed gta 5 launch day delivery and ups lost the package , and newegg refused to refund the shipping charge, and was nasty on the phone" they wanted to apologize for the employee that was rude and also for not immediately refunding the shipping charge. They agreed that the shipping charge and an apology "should have been the minimum at first that they should have done" and they are sending this to upper management to work on this never happening to another customer again in the future on future guaranteed launch day game pre orders.

Check this out guys. By the time our conversation was finished they said a replacement copy of GTA5 was already on its way and if the other copy was ever found or received in the future after 2 weeks just throw it out or refuse the package from ups because they are going to consider it lost anyway.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Could Newegg actually really care about the customer after all? I immediately told them thank you anyway but I already ordered a digital copy because I assumed I wouldn't be getting my new copy for 2 weeks after the investigation on the lost package. You won't believe what they said next.

We just voided the replacement. And we went ahead and refunded the shipping on the entire original order. We don't feel you should have to wait for us to work with UPS the next 2 weeks when you were promised the game yesterday on launch day. "So because of your difficulty and the rude initial treatment by denying shipping refund they refunded me everything immediately.

And it gets better. They told me to keep the original 22.50 extra refund and take another 20 dollar gift card for new eggs apology. I told them it was not necessary, all I wanted was my refund but they insisted.

Do you know what that means guys? They essentially bought me a free copy of gta5.

They refunded my original 79.50.
They refunded 22.50 extra
They refunded a 20. 00 gift card.

That means they have me 42.50 for free for the inconvenience.

I can't believe it. I am literally in shock.

Kudos to newegg. I retract my statement about losing a customer. I just hope they improve the initial conversation and shipping refunds with others in the same position as me.

Thank you Newegg!

Last edited:
I have only had one lost package, it happened on an amazon order, the delivery status remained as shipping label printed or created or whatever the first step is for over a day, I called them, they cancelled the order and overnighted the replacement. Of course I have also never had a problem with the egg so...

Maybe somebody in the shipping process wanted to play RLT* GTA :) But, why should you get special treatment? I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands of people who have spent as much or more than you at NewEgg, and if UPS does have the package and ends up getting it to you, you expect it free? Refunding the shipping makes sense. Refunding the product before they find out what happened to it does not.

*Real Life Theft

Last edited:
Petey, you hit the nail on the head my friend. I'm sure that's exactly what happened. Some ups employee got a launch day treat.

I got grand theft packaged. Lol

I got grand theft packaged. Lol

22260_212894334979_7245144_n.jpg

Maybe somebody in the shipping process wanted to play RLT* GTA :) But, why should you get special treatment? I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands of people who have spent as much or more than you at NewEgg, and if UPS does have the package and ends up getting it to you, you expect it free? Refunding the shipping makes sense. Refunding the product before they find out what happened to it does not.

*Real Life Theft
If you pay for one day don't you expect to get it in one day?

Doesn't matter if it was ups... its like selling something say like on the fourms who's going to have to pay up if the item doesn't make it to the buyer?

Customers service ppl dont wanna get a call from me lol

ive had newegg refund me the 2day from shoprunner cuz it didnt make it in 2day you never come between a man and his hardware lmao...

Then I expect a refund on shipping, not the actual item ordered. Expecting the seller to give you an item for free because the shipper screwed up is just a bit greedy.

Not for nothing but it sounds like an honest mistake occurred and you severely overreacted. I completely understand your frustration as anyone in your shoes would be and are not out of line to want to say something but to throw your weight in orders around and screaming at them is no way to resolve the issue.

if it hasn't made it in more then one day im sure its not going to make it at all.. I never had a package from ups get lost... it would be greedy if he got it and didn't let them know he got it or refused the package

Doesn't matter if it was ups... its like selling something say like on the fourms who's going to have to pay up if the item doesn't make it to the buyer?

Customers service ppl dont wanna get a call from me lol

ive had newegg refund me the 2day from shoprunner cuz it didnt make it in 2day you never come between a man and his hardware lmao...

Exactly . Petey, I disagree whole heartedly with your response.

If I had placed my order on Amazon and ups lost my shipment. Amazon doesn't play these games. They ship you a free overnight item replacement or refund of your item. If you original item does turn up not missing they give you 7 days to ship back to them and pay for return shipping.

I was expecting similar service from newegg. Instead newegg refused to refund my shipping charge and made me wait up to 10 days for either a refund or replacement. How can you do that to a customer? IMO that is not customer service. That is slapping your customer in your face while protecting you business. Newegg and ups do enough business together to afford to overnight me another copy of GTA5. Trust me. I am nobody special. Just a consumer that never got what I paid for.

I pre ordered this 2 weeks prior to ship date. And now because of either newegg or ups mistake I have to suffer and wait another 2 weeks? Hell no! That ain't right! They are lucky I wasn't meaner to them on the phone.

I guarantee to you guys thinking this is no big deal, if this happened to you and you didn't get your hardware and/ or they held your money for an additional 2 weeks you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

I can't wait until it happens to you.

To complain about a vendor issue is one thing but to become bitter when people voice opinions on the matter that don't agree with yours, isn't the green light to say "I cant wait until it happens to you." This is a forum and not a support group, people will feel similarly OR differently from how you do.

As a side note, the fact that you have spent X dollars with Newegg should not and will never make you any more or less important of a customer to them than the next. Also the fact that their policies aren't exactly like another companies is merely a deciding factor in where you make your purchases for said items and nothing more.

To complain about a vendor issue is one thing but to become bitter when people voice opinions on the matter that don't agree with yours, isn't the green light to say "I cant wait until it happens to you." This is a forum and not a support group, people will feel similarly OR differently from how you do.

As a side note, the fact that you have spent X dollars with Newegg should not and will never make you any more or less important of a customer to them than the next. Also the fact that their policies aren't exactly like another companies is merely a deciding factor in where you make your purchases for said items and nothing more.

Don't twist my words . I didn't actually mean I can't wait until it happens to you. I meant , you wouldn't be saying the same thing if it happened to you.

The only reason I listed my lifetime amount spent was to show newegg support that they are going to lose my future business over a 22.50 shipping charge. (Ie: I spent almost 40k with you over the years, and never complained about anything. Yet you would stiff me for 22 dollars?) I am wrong for being upset at the way I was treated by Brittany at Newegg? I am wrong for voicing my experience? Do you get my frustration now? I meant no ill will or derogatory remarks towards you at all my friend. I am sorry if that is what you perceived.

I am a longtime senior member on OCF and you can message any admin , mod or other senior that knows me. I have never ever complained about something like this before in my life. I have never ever made a complaint thread. I have always praised newegg to be honest. I am an honest person that lets very little bother me, and believe me I would never ever post anything like this unless I had a real good reason to do so.

I don't see why you're mad at Newegg. They refunded your shipping costs for the 1-day shipment.

UPS lost the package, not Newegg.

I don't see why you're mad at Newegg. They refunded your shipping costs for the 1-day shipment.

UPS lost the package, not Newegg.

Did you not read the entire post? They denied my refund on the shipping and offered me a 5 dollar gift card. It was not until I yelled and pleaded with CSRs and supervisors before they refunded my 1 day shipping. I don't think they handled it properly. Any real retailer would have immediately apologized and shipped my out a same day replacement - amazons policy

Guys. Quite frankly, I am dumbfounded by the negative feedback here. If you do a google search on this issue, a retailer screwing you on the shipping refund and not immediately shipping you a replacement is not the norm.

Initially denying a shipping refund, and Making the customer wait an additional 2 weeks for a refund or product replacement is unacceptable.

I encourage anyone to read this:
http://consumerist.com/2008/01/03/u...azon-sends-you-a-new-one-via-private-courier/

That is how a retailer is supposed to take care of a customer.

But I am out of this thread. I have had enough stress because of this already. Newegg has lost a long time customer because of this. I am leaving this thread because it's obvious that people have extremely heated opinions on this. I don't have time or anymore anxiety to give out on this issue.

I feel after pre ordering a game an expecting launch day shipment. Them denying me shipping refund and holding my money for up to 2 weeks from now is unacceptable . I own a business and would never do something like this to my customers.

If there are any updates on the issue I will update the main OP.

Last edited:
Dominick32 - Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Newegg did shaft you. It is hard to conceive that a CSR who should be looking at the amount of money you have spent on the egg. One would think that they would then bend over backwards to help you. Maybe it really truly is UPS not Newegg who mucked this up. Again the benefit of the doubt should go to you.

I had an issue with Newegg six years ago. After I posted on resellerratings did they then contact me and try to make it right. IIRC I called and spoke to someone three maybe four times. They finally agreed to give me an in store credit. I waited to last month to use it. At first the egg didn't want me to exercise it. (think futures contracts) then after I asked the kindly gentleman on the phone he asked his other supervisor (more senior, maybe) and she/he authorized the credit. Talk about customer service - mind you it had been six years since it was originally issued. The CSR even waited on the phone as I quickly placed my order. It did take 3 or 4 days for the credit to be issued.

In your case 10 days does seem a bit much. Maybe this is how long it takes for them to communicate with UPS? Still 7 to 10 days to get your 59.99 back is bordering on absurd.

When I was married a few years back - Amazon screwed up a Christmas order royally. We ordered 2 and a half weeks before Christmas. Some of the items came after Christmas. It wasn't a shipping error either. More like a processing error.

If you like send me a PM and I'll send you the email address of the CSR rep. Maybe he can help you.:thup:

Don't twist my words . I didn't actually mean I can't wait until it happens to you. I meant , you wouldn't be saying the same thing if it happened to you.

The only reason I listed my lifetime amount spent was to show newegg support that they are going to lose my future business over a 22.50 shipping charge. (Ie: I spent almost 40k with you over the years, and never complained about anything. Yet you would stiff me for 22 dollars?) I am wrong for being upset at the way I was treated by Brittany at Newegg? I am wrong for voicing my experience? Do you get my frustration now? I meant no ill will or derogatory remarks towards you at all my friend. I am sorry if that is what you perceived.

I am a longtime senior member on OCF and you can message any admin , mod or other senior that knows me. I have never ever complained about something like this before in my life. I have never ever made a complaint thread. I have always praised newegg to be honest. I am an honest person that lets very little bother me, and believe me I would never ever post anything like this unless I had a real good reason to do so.

No no it's nothing like that, I'm simply trying to put it into perspective. Basically what I wanted to get across is that in the future, its best to leave emotions out of it because chances are the person that screws up your order and the person that handles your complaint wont be the same person. I didnt mean any disrespect to you or anyone for that matter, just wanting to speak up for the other side of things.

Back