• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Considering Breakup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Considering they just laid out their roadmap with some potentially serious improvements, I would be shocked if this actually occurred.

This part summed it up for me,
(Reuters) - Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices Inc is at the initial stage of reviewing whether to split itself in two or spin off a business, seeking to reverse its fortunes and take on rival Intel Corp, according to three people familiar with the matter.

It makes sense that they want to launch something in defense of Wintel, AMD, at least as far as their mainstream chips competing against the i5/i7 have simply not been what they hoped. Perhaps whatever direction they push towards will lean towards an assault on Intel's chips and do what they did with their AthlonXP, Athlon64, and X2's against the Pentium 4 flooded market.

I'm kind of excited for this, AMD has been rather dull (at least on the cpu side) aside from their fantastic APUs IMO. Of course there was talk a few months back about Samsung purchasing AMD as well, and with deeper pockets like that they could do more R&D on a scale similar to Intel or NV! THE POSSIBILITIES! lol, all hail our Samsung overlords.

Better to have plans then get stuck in a corner with no other options. I could see how this could be beneficial, pars of the company being dragged down by others, or open parts up to move more freely than to be in the shadow of other parts. I bet 3 people gonna be called to the principles office, not like it wouldn't be easy to figure out who leaked this, not the sort of thing you announce company wide on Friday; "Oh yeah, thought we would let you know this weekend we are deciding if we are gonna break the company up or do some sort of spin-off start-up, so don't make any future plans everyone, have a great weekend!"

AMD can't sell or spin off the CPU side or they'll lose the Intel licensing for x86 architecture. The only asset they can sell or spin for cash is the GPU side. This isn't a good thing, but a sign of desperation.

AMD can't sell or spin off the CPU side or they'll lose the Intel licensing for x86 architecture. The only asset they can sell or spin for cash is the GPU side. This isn't a good thing, but a sign of desperation.

I thought that was debunked a while back. Anyway I really doubt they would even talk of breaking the company apart if they lost that license as a result.

Fortunately or unfortunately, AMD's CPUs and GPUs suffer from the same problem, fabrication, both would be greatly enhanced with access to a 14 nm process.

I actually checked out AMD business plan. AMD needs to sell nothing until 2019. Literally, they are payed up for a crazy long time. They have no debts to anyone (which is amazing honestly).

Any split would be to allow a mega huge company to buy that particular section alone.

I am thinking that if AMD delivers an good, competitive product that sales will be very good. I think there is pent up demand amongst AMD loyalists, the oem's may get on board and if the price is good a large number of Intel guys switching platforms. The most important thing is to get some oem design wins. Ones with decent margins. A ZEN apu would make a great all around machine.

Does anybody know what percentage of the market enthusiasts make up? If they release any numbers to the amount of CPUs/video cards are sold directly to the end user, that would probably be a pretty good indicator.

Does anybody know what percentage of the market enthusiasts make up? If they release any numbers to the amount of CPUs/video cards are sold directly to the end user, that would probably be a pretty good indicator.
Wow Knufire what rock did you crawl out from under? Long time WB!

I would imagine way less than even a rounding error to be honest. Enthusiast carry some weight only because they can influence by word of mouth recommendations, web sites that my influence buyers, reviews and the likes.
It depends on how you define an enthusiast... Is it someone that builds their own PC? Someone that overclocks? Both? Only one of those? What makes an enthusiast?

EDIT: And holy cow welcome back Knufire!! Missed you here man!

I would imagine way less than even a rounding error to be honest. Enthusiast carry some weight only because they can influence by word of mouth recommendations, web sites that my influence buyers, reviews and the likes.

It's the image of the product that counts and helps drive sales, you are right on target with your statement concerning influence over the market in general. This is almost a marketing tool they can use to further the brand with reviews saying "How great these are" so the voice of the enthusiast does matter even if they won't openly admit it and all it takes are a few guys speaking out about it, showing what they did with these pieces.

It's like with DFI boards, the rep they have for performance drives demand for them and this equates to $$, plain and simple. Check fleabay and you'll see these boards are still popular and sell for a decent amount of money today.
I mean who woudn't at least consider getting one with such a rep behind it if they could?

This means this image or rep transfers over to the more mundane pieces they have and many will buy it because it's an X brand of hardware with a rep for quality and performance behind the name. Even if this isn't a consideration, the name itself is still out there and many will notice.

Last edited:
I thought that was debunked a while back. Anyway I really doubt they would even talk of breaking the company apart if they lost that license as a result.

HeHe :)
If you remember, NVidia had first talked about making their Denver SOC using the x86 Uarch. Intel was real quick to jump in and REMIND everyone that NVidia didn't have any x86 licenses.
AMD might not be punching toe to toe with Intel's CPU's BUT their graphic's division is what is bringing in their $$$$$

- - - Updated - - -

Fortunately or unfortunately, AMD's CPUs and GPUs suffer from the same problem, fabrication, both would be greatly enhanced with access to a 14 nm process.
As someone once said......There are no secrets @ TSMC..... Where BOTH NVidia and AMD have their graphics chips made.

Back