• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790k 1.3V (Cpu Core Volatege) shown in red under BIOS settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diceberg

Registered
Hello everyone,
I bought my computer about a week ago(MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, i7 4790k CPU, 2x8 Kingston Savage Red memory, GALAX GTX970 HOF, Corsair +80 750w PSU ,Cooler Master Seidon 120V water cooler etc.) and tried overcolcking. It runs stable at 4.5 ghz max with 1.25 CPU core voltage. In that sense i think im a bit unlucky. However what seems more problematic is that when i try to set CPU core voltage to 1.3v and more, the setting turns out to red immediately. Considering my motherboard and CPU it shouldn't do that i think. Also when i run prime95 stability test in 4.4ghz 1.25V settings, temprature starts with 100C for all of four CPU's and wont go down. In AIDA64 stability test with same settings the temprature changes between 70 to 95 in general. I have no idea what may be the problem. Please help me with this issue

You have a bad mount or thermal paste application...temps should go up quick, but not instantly. If it was mounted right and the pump didn't work, it would still go up slower than instantly.

Do other temp programs show the same temps... like realtemp?

The fact that the CPU voltage value turns red in bios when you set it to 1.3 may not be anything to worry about per se. Those colors represent arbitrary voltage value warnings. It's just saying, "Hey dude, under normal circumstances your voltage is getting up there!" 1.3 vcore is not dangerously high when you have good cooling.

But the fact is you do not have good cooling cor that CPU at that level of overclock. Your cooler radiator is too small for 1.3 vcore and it may be too small for 1.25 vcore.

But I agree with ED, you do need to check your mount. Either the thermal paste is not spread properly or the mount has uneven pressure and causing the block to make poor contact with the CPU face. You should not be hitting 100c immediately when stress testing. Carefully remove the water block/pump and check the pattern of the thermal paste spread. If a significant portion of the CPU lid is not covered by paste then that would explain your instantly high temps.

- - - Updated - - -

The seidon 120v can handle that overclock/voltage... so can hyper 212 evo. ;)
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-...uid-CPU-Cooler-Review/Test-Setup-and-Temperat

The fact that the CPU voltage value turns red in bios when you set it to 1.3 may not be anything to worry about per se. Those colors represent arbitrary voltage value warnings. It's just saying, "Hey dude, under normal circumstances your voltage is getting up there!" 1.3 vcore is not dangerously high when you have good cooling.

But the fact is you do not have good cooling cor that CPU at that level of overclock. Your cooler radiator is too small for 1.3 vcore and it may be too small for 1.25 vcore.

But I agree with ED, you do need to check your mount. Either the thermal paste is not spread properly or the mount has uneven pressure and causing the block to make poor contact with the CPU face. You should not be hitting 100c immediately when stress testing. Carefully remove the water block/pump and check the pattern of the thermal paste spread. If a significant portion of the CPU lid is not covered by paste then that would explain your instantly high temps.

You have a bad mount or thermal paste application...temps should go up quick, but not instantly. If it was mounted right and the pump didn't work, it would still go up slower than instantly.

Do other temp programs show the same temps... like realtemp?

Considering what you said in general, I think i should check the condition of my cooler. However, given te fact that I'm really bad with montage issues, it will be better i return my whole case to the guys I bought the case from. By the way, as a customer, do i have enough reasons to return it back for re-checking the system? (Sorry if my english is bad I'm from Turkey)

mon·tage
mänˈtäZH/
noun
noun: montage

the process or technique of selecting, editing, and piecing together separate sections of film to form a continuous whole.
a sequence of film resulting from this.
plural noun: montages
"a dazzling montage of the movie's central banquet scene"
the technique of producing a new composite whole from fragments of pictures, text, or music.
"the play often verged on montage"

That's a word we don't run into often around here!

Not sure if you meant to use that word but other than that your English (in writing at least) is pretty good. I would not have suspected it not to be your native language.

I think one thing you need to do is return all settings to stock/auto values and then recheck temps. If the temps are still obviously too high then you have an argument with the sellers that is more easily defensible.

From what you have said I take it that you did not build this system and many not be comfortable with tinkering with the hardware yourself.

Hey buddy thanks for that correction, that montage explanation thing was very good:) Yes i meant what you guessed about it. I'm not good at mounting/unmounting the hardware. Now i will set my bios to default and run prime95 and see if problem still persists. Another thing i wanna ask. It seems my CPU best performs at 4.5ghz with Vcore set to 1.25 (skipping fine tuning, what i did was just to set the CPU ratio and core voltage). If i buy a Thermaltake 3.0 Ultimate, which operates with 3 radiators, what may be my next CPU target?

I have a 4790K on big cooling, I can clock it out of sight, but 4.6 works best all around.

From what you are able to get out of the CPU on 1.25 volts my guess is that you neither have a particularly good or particularly poor 4790k. Seems pretty average. With better cooling you might get 4.6-4.7 on up to 1.3 volts. I would not go higher than that voltage for 24/7 operation even if your temps are good.

The Thermaltake III Ultimate should do you for cooling just fine. But you had better do some measuring and make sure it will fit in your case. Not all that many cases have room for a three fan radiator (not a "three radiator" as you said). What is the make and model of your case?

I have a 4790K on big cooling, I can clock it out of sight, but 4.6 works best all around.

Thanks for your share i'll keep that in mind

- - - Updated - - -

From what you are able to get out of the CPU on 1.25 volts my guess is that you neither have a particularly good or particularly poor 4790k. Seems pretty average. With better cooling you might get 4.6-4.7 on up to 1.3 volts. I would not go higher than that voltage for 24/7 operation even if your temps are good.

The Thermaltake III Ultimate should do you for cooling just fine. But you had better do some measuring and make sure it will fit in your case. Not all that many cases have room for a three fan radiator (not a "three radiator" as you said). What is the make and model of your case?

I have Corsair 730T, a Full Tower case. Does that fit?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, now im running Prime95 test, CPU is passing the tests and temp is between 80-90. But I hear a really annoying and not so quite sound from the case

you should be hearing the fan at full scream, it's time for a bigger rad to get it quiet.

Why are we considering buying a new cooler? Something isn't right on those temps, but it isn't the radiator capacity. Did we see my link to that testing?

If I was this guy, I would take it back to the shop and ask them to reapply the thermal paste and ensure there was a good mount. At those voltages and speeds, he should be right in the ballpark of the temps in the review I linked. He is nearly 20C off with using LESS voltage.

I would make sure the pump is spinning properly...it may be plugged in to a header on your mobo, make sure that setting in the bios is at 100% if that is how it is setup.
I would reapply some decent thermal paste and remount the cooler...
Where are the fans located in your case and what direction are they moving the air?
What are your ambient temperatures (make sure the dude isn't sitting on the equator with 30C intake)?
If you can't do this testing, then take it back to where your bought it from and have them test it.

Its not a capacity issue out of the cooler.

Why are we considering buying a new cooler? Something isn't right on those temps, but it isn't the radiator capacity. Did we see my link to that testing?

If I was this guy, I would take it back to the shop and ask them to reapply the thermal paste and ensure there was a good mount. At those voltages and speeds, he should be right in the ballpark of the temps in the review I linked. He is nearly 20C off with using LESS voltage.

I would make sure the pump is spinning properly...it may be plugged in to a header on your mobo, make sure that setting in the bios is at 100% if that is how it is setup.
I would reapply some decent thermal paste and remount the cooler...
Where are the fans located in your case and what direction are they moving the air?
What are your ambient temperatures (make sure the dude isn't sitting on the equator with 30C intake)?
If you can't do this testing, then take it back to where your bought it from and have them test it.

Its not a capacity issue out of the cooler.

I have 3 case fans. 2 on the front and 1 on the top. The radiator is mounted to the back of the case. Don't know how to measure ambient temprature, but, from the top of the case the fan givinig me some cold air. Can i show the link you gave me to the guys i bought the case from as a proof that my cooler's condition is not good enough? I mean if they say overclocking is something extra and it depends on the CPU which is a random thing, what am I supposed to say?

I wanna add another information that may give clue about the issue. I watched a video in which a computer is built from the very beginning. There were all necessary parts of the computer at ready. From among parts, the mobo and CPU was same with mine. They mounted everything. Started the system. In the BIOS menu the frequency of ram was shown as 1333mhz by default. Only when they enabled OC genie, the frequency of ram become 1600mhz. However, in my BIOS the frequency of ram is 1600mhz by default. Can there be a difference of settings in terms of ram voltage in my BIOS which may affect the temprature in general?

It may depend on the speed of the RAM. If the RAM they were using in the video was the same as yours and the same motherboard one would expect the bios to assign the same default speed to the RAM. But RAM comes in many different speeds so we don't have enough info to really answer your question. Is the RAM rated for 1333? 1600? 1866? etc.

Ram is rated for 1600mhz (Kingston HyperX Savage Red 2x8gb)

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the BIOS issue, I think you don't see that red shown 1.3V thing as something important am i wrong?

No, I do not see that as significant. Overclockers are used to seeing bios values in "yellow" and "red" because we often significantly raise the settings above stock values. We "push the envelope" as they say. Core temps are more of a worry in the scenario you present.

I see. So i ran a Prime95 test for 1 hour. No problem except that there was an annoying sound coming out of the case while testing. In that case, what do you think, do i have an argument to return the case back for testing?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, i run prime95 at default system settings

With those high temps you may be getting thermal throttling when running Prime95. Have CPU-z open to the "CPU" tab and watch the CPU frequency value while you are stressing with Prime. If it goes up and down under load that means you are getting thermal throttling. The annoying sound your hear may be the thermal alarm on the motherboard alerting you to the fact that your are exceeding safe temps.

Until you get your cooling issue resolved, you are playing Russian roulette by stress testing your rig. You're going to fry something if you keep it up.

Back