• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft looking at AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's the most realistic thing I could imagine happening. Although it is still weird to imagine a (generally) software company buying up a hardware company. But they take in all the patents, and the cost of the xbox one goes down (for them anyway)

yeah, i think it could be really good for AMD.
and the fact that MS would make money off every PS4 sold would make me chuckle a bit.

If it could only mean that AMD would put out some stuff that would wipe the floor with Intel and NVidia I'm all for it until it starts to increase in price and does worse than the competitions offerings. I can't see Microsoft doing this, it would alienate a larger percentage of it's market share cause people would think the OS would be geared more for AMD tech or so I could see the pandemonium already, "oh noze, my Intel platform will be beat by a less expensive AMD counterpart cause the OS is made for them" type scenario, :rofl:

Shall see what happens in the future.

Ha what if they stopped using the Intel compiler and coded Windows "tweaked" for AMD.

I bet the patent thing is what MS is after, they've already done that with Android and make money off every Android that's bought.

Don't forget the server market. AMD is still big in those fields, while Microsoft is hurting. Most servers sport a 'nix or other OS, and Microsoft wants to cut into that market as much as possible.

I always thought the server market was dominated by Intel, although I do see a lot of inexpensive AMD used servers up for sale on EBay all the time so maybe not as dominated as I once thought.

I wouldn't mind seeing how an operating system tweaked for an AMD would operate, could be a beautiful thing.

Back