• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seidon 240m pump connection/fan connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bion1985

Registered
So i recently assembled a new system. I'd like to make sure I have my water loop correctly connected to my motherboard. I currently have the pump plugged into the cpu header and the two fans are in the cpu opt header. I've read mixed views on what is correct some say to plug the pump directly into a chassis fan header. Thanks and any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The way you have it is fine unless it says other words in the product manual.

Thanks just trying to troubleshoot my load temp issue. When I run Intel burn test the temps in coretemp shoot up to nearly 100c almost instantly. I think my thermal compound is good (reapplied to be safe used pea method) I got the voltage set around 1.27 for the 4.6ghz clock. Now if I run a benchmark like 3dmark firestrike highest reported temp is 70c.

The way you have it set is probably quieter, i have mine set up the other way. Rad fans are on the cpu, and cpu opt, the pump is set on its own chassis fan channel. What i have noticed ia under loads the rad fans kick up before the pump does because of the way its connected. My load temps are about 63ish but you have to remember that that is electrical load, it does get that hot but it is mathmatically determined. The hotest ive seen my rad blow with a thermometer 30 to 35 c

Ok maybe I'll try swapping the pump to a 3 pin. Also what set up are you using for your fans? I currently have mine on top of the radiator pulling air from inside the case outward. I just want to make sure I have safe temps so no damage occurs. Ill have to try them again but I tried Intel burn and Aida64 and I think both shot me up to nearly 100c instantly. Is there a conflict with those 2 stress tests and the 4690 chips? I know I read somewhere that prime95 was no good to use on these chips unless you run v26.6 or earlier. I did a 3dmark firestrike right before I left for work and highest reported temp was 70c. Now I know firestrike likely don't do 100% load. Just seems like a massive jump from 70c to nearly 100c.

Ok maybe I'll try swapping the pump to a 3 pin. Also what set up are you using for your fans? I currently have mine on top of the radiator pulling air from inside the case outward. I just want to make sure I have safe temps so no damage occurs. Ill have to try them again but I tried Intel burn and Aida64 and I think both shot me up to nearly 100c instantly. Is there a conflict with those 2 stress tests and the 4690 chips? I know I read somewhere that prime95 was no good to use on these chips unless you run v26.6 or earlier. I did a 3dmark firestrike right before I left for work and highest reported temp was 70c. Now I know firestrike likely don't do 100% load. Just seems like a massive jump from 70c to nearly 100c.

All of my headers on my mobo are a 4pin, ive got a push pull setup as an exhaust. The fans on the inside of the case (pushing) are connected to cpu and cpu opt, the other 2 (pull) are set to their own chassis channel (3 i think) i have two headers per channel. And my 2 pin pump is set to chassis chan 2. I have the cooler master glacer v2 240l and i would recomend it if your worried about your loop. Its expandable for anything really.
*i edited it to read 2 pin pump, because it has only two pins but in a 4 pin fan header. It is a PWM pump*

Last edited:
Also I ran the Asus fan xpert auto tune to set fans not thinking about the cpu pump being on the cpu fan header. My pump is a 3 pin and is plugged into a 4 pin slot. Would the fan xpert cause a conflict with the pump flow possiblly causing me to run wamer than usual? Knlw its all about load temps mainly but figured I'd throw out the fact that my idle is around 30-32c.

All of the headers on most MBs are 3 or going towards 4 pin nowadays but only one is usually PWM. The pump might need a PWM signal if the pump wire has 4 different colored wires to it. If it has a blue wire at the edge of the pumps header, than it is PWM. Keep it at the CPU header and put the fans elsewhere or if the pump isn't PWM but the fans are than just set them up viseversa. Go into the BIOS and make sure to have the pump running at full speed at all times. Than you could test out the fan speed which is the best temp and audible for you BUT before you do that, have the pump run at full speed in the BIOS and set the rest of your system to default. Save your OC profile in the mean time. Test out your system in a stock configuration to iron things just in case. Make sure you can somewhat hear your pump and or feel the vibration. Touch the tubing etc. I wouldn't go over 85c in general but over a period of time at 90c-100c+, you're lessening your chips longevity. Need to know the temps at stock first and than go from there.

I do know for a fact the pump plug is only a 3 pin where the fans for the kit are a 4 pin connection. If I set the cpu fan speed to 100% and keep the pump plugged into the cpu fan header and the rad fans in the opt won't the rad fans run at 100% also?

I do know for a fact the pump plug is only a 3 pin where the fans for the kit are a 4 pin connection. If I set the cpu fan speed to 100% and keep the pump plugged into the cpu fan header and the rad fans in the opt won't the rad fans run at 100% also?
I also have an asus, new member i need to fill out my sig. The thing that i found is that if it runs at full rpm all the time you need to go into the bios, under tools, temp control, and change it to DC mode or PWM mode. The minimum speed really doesnt matter unless it doesnt see your cpu fan header at post. If thats the case, set a low rpm speed. With fan expert and the auto fan tuning ive had bugs where it forces my pump to run fast all the time and that was related to my pump not being set to the correct mode. If that happens message me and ill walk you through the fix. If im not mistaken your 3pin should be power ground and rpm so you really shouldnt have a problem.

Your rad fans may run at 100, they may not. It depends on settings, i had a push pull air cooler and i could set them within 20% of each other. I really like the way my loop is setup because sometimes all you need is more pump while the fans are on low, other times you need more fan with the pump low because mine is set as an exhaust. By having the fans independent of the pump i dont have always have to hear them. It also allows me to set the fans to mobo temp and pump to cpu temp. Their are quite a few different variables that you can tweak to perform better in terms of case and cpu temp by having them separate

Plug your fans to your CPU fan header and the pump to the Opt out header on the MB. Control it through the BIOS for the time being and FanXpert if you'd like. I would just live the fans at a certain speed and the pump at full blast through the BIOS but if you want to monitor it all through the software, you can do that as well.

As for the fans, in some cases, when there's no signal going to the fans, the fans tend to run at full speed.

+1 Tuk

After reading up on this MB, make sure you assign the right signal to the fans and pump. Pump is analog and fans are PWM.

Current setup is auto for fans on cpu, that's what fan xpert kept them at. I'm guessing it's because there is the PWM fans in the cpu fan header and the analog in the cpu opt header. I'd like to keep the pump connected to one of the cpu headers that way if it happens to fail I will get a warning. I'm also still a little confused as to how exactly place my rad fans for optimal cooling. Currently they are mounted to the top of the rad and are pulling air from inside the case to the outside. I have also considered setting the fans up to the bottom of the rad so they can push/blow air from inside the case through the rad and to the outside of the PC.

Pull or push doesn't make a ton of diff on the fans. I always liked pull better to spread the dead spot a bit in the middle of the fan. Also makes it easier to dust the rad. Kinda tough when the fans are in the way to blow the dust out.

So the way its currently set up with fans on top pulling air through the rad is likely just as good performance wise as having them under the rad blowing out? If that's the case I'll leave them pulling out since the dust cleaning will be much simpler.

Pulling air from the case to the outside is good but best at keeping the dust out. Having the fans blowing cooler air in from the outside is best for temps but not so great for dust unless you have a dust filter in place.

Back