• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with D5 Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sito85

Hi everyone,

I have been having issues with my EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM and was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to do.

I am running a single pump, dual 360 radiator + 120 radiator, CPU + GPU water cooled system. 20200816_144100.jpg It has been running fine for 3 years and during that time I have purged, cleaned and replaced the coolant 3-4 times.

A couple of months ago I started having issues during boot. I was getting the "no CPU fan connected" message on startup, however, the pump was running fine. A simple reset would fix that issue and the system would start just fine. That only lasted for a month or so and then I noticed that the pump wasn't starting at all.

I read online that it could be gunk on the D5 pump so I opened it up and cleaned thoroughly, although it wasn't dirty at all. I also checked for friction marks on the impeller and the reservoir housing but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Cleaning it seemed to fix the problem for a week or so but today the error just popped up again and I worry that the pump won't run at all in a couple of weeks.

I have considered replacing the pump only since the reservoir is fine. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of the system, in case it helps:

It seems the pump is dying, its not gonna be the res since it worked fine for 3 years. Have you checked the ball bearing underneath the impeller assembly?

Heyy godevskii, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I checked it and everything looked fine. However, I have also read that replacing the o-ring could help. Since o-rings are inexpensive, I will try that and see if it fixes the problem.

I'd guess the pump is going bad too. Make sure the signal line/the connector is on or maybe switch headers on the mobo (disable cpu fan message) and molex too,, otherwise, get another. :)

Hi maxfly,
Yes, the CPU_FAN is where the pump connects to the motherboard.

Last edited:
Do what @EarthDog said, check the molex connection to make sure that it delivers clean 12v power, and check the 4 pin connector for the pwm signal you can also try to connect to a different port, if all that is OK then the culprit must be the pump.

I checked the molex as suggested and it outputs 12v.
I have it set at full speed (4750 RPM) and has been working fine. I will leave it as is for now and change the o-ring when it starts failing again. Just FYI, this model uses a NBR 60x3 mm o-ring, in case someone reads this and has the same problem.

I would also recommend running a fan monitoring sevice ( I sure Asus has one). This will tell you the RPM's of the pump during use. Does it run full out in use or does it fluctuate? The O-Ring would be a possible cause if the coolant level was slowly doing down or you had a leak around the base of the Res. The D5's that I found online, have a 2yr warranty. Getting a Full 3yrs of constant use out of it is great :) I know having to buy a new one ($75~$100) kind of sucks but it is the engine that drives your cooling system. Unless you have changed the coolant recently, I would also recommend new coolant with your new pump.

Hi MaddMutt,

I have a desktop widget running all the time that gives me RPM, temps, usage, etc. It fluctuates from 4753-4856 RPM. Not sure if that's a lot.
So far I haven't seen any leaks of fluid level going down in the reservoir. I have read that the o-ring could flatten over time and when you tighten the pump against the reservoir, usually after flushing/cleaning, you inadvertently tighten it harder than what it was and it ends up rubbing against the reservoir housing. I didn't find any rubbing marks when I inspected it but I wouldn't disregard that option due to the age of the loop.

As you suggested, I am planning on doing a full flush and cleaning of the system and waterblocks when replacing the o-ring.

Also, I am running 2x 360 rads + 1x 120 rad on that one pump. Do you think that is too much for a single pump to run through? There are also 5x 90° fittings along the loop. To be honest, adding the 120mm rad didn't really help with temps so I've been considering removing it for a while.

Pump used is: Ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-sleeved-pump

Thanks again for all your answers,

The D5 is capable of handling that amount of rads with no problem, mine is handling the exact same amount and so far is still strong, almost 8 years of high use now.

Hey godevskii, have you ever replaced the o-ring? What are your thoughts on running it at 100% constantly?

The 1st 5 years no, but about +/-3 years ago i changed reservoir and it came with a new o-ring so i used the new o-ring despite not having any problems with the old one. As for the speed i've always maintained the pump on max speed (about 4800 rpm).

I read once that running a pump at 100% for long periods of time was not a good idea. I am glad to hear there isn't any concerns with doing so.

I will change the o-ring as soon as I receive it just to be safe.

I dont think there is any harm...but there is little point in running these at full tilt in most loops in the first place. ;)

Hi EarthDog,

I totally agree with you. I usually run it at 30-40% but since I have been having the problems outlined above, I decided to run it at 100% to make sure it doesn't get stuck duting booting.

I appreciate everyone's answers to my thread.

Back