• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Access Points

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrhos

Hi everyone. First post here, and I'm after some advice on wireless access points.

I'm moving into a new house soon, and have specified a lot of CAT6 cabling all over the place. All TVs, game consoles etc. will be wired up, and I have two runs to the ceiling in the family room and the upstairs landing ready for a couple of wireless access points. Ive got a POE switch (at) ready to power a couple of good, fast access points and have been looking at the offerings from Netgear, Zyxel and the like. I want the latest 1750mbps ac devices for futureproofing and getting the best possible speeds to ipads, iphones etc.

Heres my problem. After reading reviews and doing my research, it seems even the best SME access points costing £200+ don't achieve the real world speeds of the best consumer wireless routers. Has anyone got any recomendations for a good, fast access point that I can install? (There's no other power source on the ceiling, so I can't mount anything non-POE up there)

Any help or advice would be really helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

My problem with business class APs is their speed. They seem to trade throughput for advanced features that I won't need. I think the device I'm looking for may not exist.

Good idea about using a POE adapter to power a normal router. I didn't think of doing it that way around.

Back