• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NotDoge

Registered
I need a reservoir that doesn't have to sit in a OD bay because the NZXT Noctis 450 does not have ANY OD bays.
So, does anyone have any suggestions? also i can upgrade to the NZXT Phantom 630 but would rather not to , because looks > convenience, also it costs more. Here is also a Video of the NZXT Noctis 450 (13:04s) and what is also has to offer
p.s i forgot to mention that the Noctis 450 has a storage compartment / Future rat nest of wires ready to be used

Check out the huge water cooling sticky, particularly the beginners guide... It should help you properly size the amount of radiator needed (I wouldn't go less than 4x120mm in total rad size if you are overclocking that 8350) as well as get a lot of the basics under your belt you may/may not have.

Check out the huge water cooling sticky, particularly the beginners guide... It should help you properly size the amount of radiator needed (I wouldn't go less than 4x120mm in total rad size if you are overclocking that 8350) as well as get a lot of the basics under your belt you may/may not have.

maybe some minor overclocking for right now, and when i get everything set-up i should go for some of the bigger jumps, but i will check out your other advice !!! also i don't think i can fit more than 3x120 mm, but i think i can if i remove the storage bays on the Noctic, and for the past hour i think i have the bear necessities to find my self around this maze of parts , thanks alot for your help !

If you are not a fan of overclocking, why are you going to pay for the extra expense of water? Just get an AIO cooler for the CPU and call it a day. ;)

If you are not a fan of overclocking, why are you going to pay for the extra expense of water? Just get an AIO cooler for the CPU and call it a day. ;)

lol i edited the post, also i like for my computer for extended periods of time :) also some people have had hot gpu's and i dont want to overheat my new computer

If you can't fit more than 3x120mm worth of radiator, you will need a push pull configuration and those fans may be pretty loud. With the 8350 and the 970, you are looking at dissipating at least 290W of heat. When you overclock, that value will go up.

I like PC's for extended periods of time as well, however, you don't need custom water to insure that happens. If you want it, you want it!! :)

If you can't fit more than 3x120mm worth of radiator, you will need a push pull configuration and those fans may be pretty loud. With the 8350 and the 970, you are looking at dissipating at least 290W of heat. When you overclock, that value will go up.

I like PC's for extended periods of time as well, however, you don't need custom water to insure that happens. If you want it, you want it!! :)

lol , then do you have any case recommendations ? i know the Phantom 820 is pretty huge

I like the Corsair Carbide Air 540 personally... You can fit a 3x120mm up front and 2x120mm up top.

lol it looks like that thing was made for water cooling

:thup: Make sure you take a look at all the H20 friendly cases out there. Many friendlier designs than in the past. Take your time. No need to rush. Its a fun hobby and addicting. :D

Corsair is another great company with many H20 friendly cases.

:thup: Make sure you take a look at all the H20 friendly cases out there. Many friendlier designs than in the past. Take your time. No need to rush. Its a fun hobby and addicting. :D

Corsair is another great company with many H20 friendly cases.

maybe something below 100$ but i can go more if the standard for water cooling case is more than that, but if you can find a really pleasing aesthetic looking case than the cost doesn't matter ill pay for it ! these box looking cases are fine but i would like something a little bit more pleasing to the eye :) but ill take a look that the h20 cases

The case you picked, to me, is hideous, LOL...

As you can see, case aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. So what looks good to me (that air 540) may not look good to others. But I am also likely a bit older than most here and the fancy plastic 'bling' just doesn't fit my living space or what I think looks good (Im pretty much past all the neon lights and such).

Honestly, if you want a aesthetically pleasing water cooling friendly case, I think anywhere from $150-$200 can get it done. Have a look at the Corsair 750D. The cheapest case from them that will fit 120.5 of rad surface has been already stated, the Corsair Air 540. That is a cube size case but if you want a full size tower, that would be the 750D.

Honestly, if you want a aesthetically pleasing water cooling friendly case, I think anywhere from $150-$200 can get it done. Have a look at the Corsair 750D. The cheapest case from them that will fit 120.5 of rad surface has been already stated, the Corsair Air 540. That is a cube size case but if you want a full size tower, that would be the 750D.

i like the way corsair does things with space and dedicates a whole page to watercooling cases , but i really like the alien/futuristic look that the NZXT phantom series has. maybe ill make an exception for the next 5-15 years of me having this computer

- - - Updated - - -

do i really need a huge water cooling case , when im just cooling a gtx 970 + 8350, im probably going to OC the cpu by a few ghz, and just lower it to my needs

i like the way corsair does things with space and dedicates a whole page to watercooling cases , but i really like the alien/futuristic look that the NZXT phantom series has. maybe ill make an exception for the next 5-15 years of me having this computer

- - - Updated - - -

do i really need a huge water cooling case , when im just cooling a gtx 970 + 8350, im probably going to OC the cpu by a few ghz, and just lower it to my needs

just looked at the dimensions of the Obsidian Series 750D and the NZXT Noctis , they both very similar dimensions and the noctin is semi-modular , which support 3x120mm just like the obsidian series, im starting to wonder if this could be a "case" (insert meme here) of bias , or if both of you are trying to steer me into the right direction with an objective stand point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, I kind of answered that already, no? Since you will really need at least 4x120mm worth of radiator, but better to have 5x120mm, you need a case that will support it. You keep mentioning 3x120mm... while that will work, you will need a push/pull fan configuration for best results because 3x120mm worth of rad wouldn't be great at dissipating 300W loads...

... check out that beginners guide my friend. :)

I mean, I kind of answered that already, no? Since you will really need at least 4x120mm worth of radiator, but better to have 5x120mm, you need a case that will support it. You keep mentioning 3x120mm... while that will work, you will need a push/pull fan configuration for best results because 3x120mm worth of rad wouldn't be great at dissipating 300W loads...

... check out that beginners guide my friend. :)

okay so i finally caved in and read some of the "water cooling for beginners" and from that i actually discovered that the NZXT Noctin can house up to two(2) 3x120mm radiators (with a little modding of course) and i dont think ill be using the push pull just because i looked up some videos of it , and its a bit too noisy for my liking. and i was thinking that maybe one radiator could be used for cooling the cpu and the other to cool the heated water from the gpu and take the newly cooled water to cool the cpu. PLEASE TELL ME THAT IT WILL WORK , IM BEGGING!! I LOVE THIS CASE

Read it all. Twice perhaps. LOL... you likely wouldn't be asking half these questions as you would have a fundamental understanding of how a water loop works.

But to answer the question... temperatures inside a properly flowing and radded (enough radiator) do not vary by more than 1-2C. So it is not like the difference versus intake and exit of the water of a radiator is huge. What that tells you is that LOOP ORDER DOESN"T MATTER (you need the res/Tline before the pump though).

Read it all. Twice perhaps. LOL... you likely wouldn't be asking half these questions as you would have a fundamental understanding of how a water loop works.

But to answer the question... temperatures inside a properly flowing and radded (enough radiator) do not vary by more than 1-2C. So it is not like the difference versus intake and exit of the water of a radiator is huge. What that tells you is that LOOP ORDER DOESN"T MATTER (you need the res/Tline before the pump though).

sicne the guide is so fundamentally important , I GUESS i have to read all of it... ill never get this hour of reading back LOL

Back