• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blew the processor. System upgrade time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gargant

Hey Overclockers,

It's been a long time since I last posted, so I guess I'll say hello again. Just looking at some thoughts for a system upgrade. Limit is $500 CDN. I want 16gb of ram and a hefty processor that I can comfortably overclock a little. This pointed me toward an fx-8320 on a new AM3+ motherboard. Looks good to me. How about my overclocking crew?

PwTbU9I.png

Shipping included, it comes to $502.61 Canadian on Newegg.ca; whew!

Thanks,
-Gargant

Mostly gaming; anywhere from Metro LL to cs:go and everything in-between. Also used for school, so just the basic assortment of programs as well. PSU is pushing 4 years now I believe. I play to upgrade the PSU and GPU next; to an 750-800w and a gtx 970/80.

Last edited:
Also thinking of going to a micro-ATX board as Id probably never need to crossfire/SLI. That would save me ~$30/40 so I could grab the 8350 instead.

There is no such thing as comfortably overclocking a FX processor.
The board you linked is inadequate. Also, no mATX board is adequate to OC a FX.

Ive been told to look into a sabertooth, but thats a touch out of my current price range

Ive been told to look into a sabertooth, but thats a touch out of my current price range
Fx 8xxx/9xxx chips require nothing less then a top notch motherboard and really good cooling to OC. This board will likely get you to near 4.5 Ghz but I doubt the CM 212 will.

Looks like a nice board. Im also considering the ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 (link at bottom). On a good sale with a good rebate and a bigger board than what I had in mind earlier.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157394&_ga=1.239377732.631831661.1422320230
Not high end enough to OC a Fx 8xxx chip.

$25 over, but immensely better for gaming:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/YgqXMp
I agree with Atmin, much better build.

But does the Intel chipset warrant the extra $100 incost when it only gives a slight edge when gaming? I've never had any experience with intel vs amd, only from what I've read.

Last edited:
To even get close to the peformance of the i5 in gaming you'd need a top notch board, liquid cooling and a bit of luck with the FX to run at a minimum IMO of 4.7G. Don't get me wrong, I'm an AMD fan it's just that the FX isn't the best /economical choice at present for gaming. So sure it might be a bit costlier off the get go with the intel but you don't need a 200$ board and minimum $150 in cooling. Plus there are far less headaches with heat.

After owning both an 8320 that I could run at 5.0 ghz all day and a stock i7... there's no "slight edge". Its a huge edge in visceral Performance. It's hard to quantify "feel", as the fps numbers are typically pretty ok with an 8320. The games "feel" better and much more smooth. Might be a frame time variance or some other obscure thing, but if you can hack the intel, definitely go intel.

Windows processes are also much more smooth on the intel. The only difference I've seen is unzipping seems slower and probably is.

Go with the Intel package Atminside suggests. Yes, the Intel Cpu is more expensive but you essentially make up for that extra cost with the savings you experience with being able to go with an much less expensive motherboard and cooling solution. Plus, Intels are much less complicated to overclock. And I speak as one who up until the last year was a dedicated AMD fanboy. AMD has fallen way behind in per core performance and that is what counts in gaming.

It's very much worth it.
To get close with AMD you need a $200 board and $100+ of cooling.

It's very much worth it.
To get close with AMD you need a $200 board and $100+ of cooling.

Alright, you guys have swayed my decision. Got a good price on the 4690k in town as well. Anyone have any any expierence with the asrock z97 anniversary? Slightly different than the pro4 that was recommended by Atminside. Just not sure if it can handle overclocking the chip. Im not looking at anything extreme. I'm going to get a self contained dual rad setup to cool it before anything anyway.

The biggest differences with the Anni versus the Pro4 linked, are that the Pro4 has slightly better audio, and is microATX vs ATX. They will both essentially get you the same clocks, and aren't much different other than that.

The biggest differences with the Anni versus the Pro4 linked, are that the Pro4 has slightly better audio, and is microATX vs ATX. They will both essentially get you the same clocks, and aren't much different other than that.

Bingo

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Final build is gonna be the i5-4690k on the anniv board as I can save $40 with it. If the sound is really that bad I'll buy a used card for it later. Ill have to order the ram because the local shop is overpricing it.

Always positive results from the Overclockers community! Now...time to look into the benching team...

Alright, you guys have swayed my decision. Got a good price on the 4690k in town as well. Anyone have any any expierence with the asrock z97 anniversary? Slightly different than the pro4 that was recommended by Atminside. Just not sure if it can handle overclocking the chip. Im not looking at anything extreme. I'm going to get a self contained dual rad setup to cool it before anything anyway.
I feel you made a good decision here gargant, I love my AMD chips but I will always look for the best possible setup for a uses needs. A lot of people do not realize how demanding these Fx chips are on the components surrounding them. When it comes to a total system build you usually do not save all that much when going AMD over Intel these days. Then you have performance, which in most instances AMD just falls flat on their faces.

Back