• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router constantly loses internet connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

Router: Buffalo N300 Gigabit DD-WRT
Wireless enabled with several WEP2 connections

For the last couple years, I've had issues with this router. At first I called the ISP when the problem happened, and connecting directly to the modem fixed the problem. I tried changing many settings on the router and the frequency of issues has diminished a little, but are still there. I'm not sure if I just have a bad router or if my ISP simply doesn't like a router connected? Searching all over google leads me to WIFI specific issues, which are usually interference related. It could be possible that somehow a problem with wifi connection could cause the router to freeze, but that's not what is talked about online.

I've ran out of places to look, so I hope someone has had a similar issue here and knows how to fix it..

Thanks

Sounds like the router just sucks to me.
I had a similar issue with TWC. Bought my own router and modem, haven't had a problem in the last 4 years.

Diaz,

How close is your wifi router to your computer?

I ask because I was having similar issues with a non-wifi Motorola 6120 modem and Linksys router that was 25'-30'
away via cable length from my computers from my son's old bedroom two floors up. When he moved out I moved the
cable wiring / connections down to my basement shop within 6' of my computers and the problem disappeared.

Last edited:
Diaz,

How close is your wifi router to your computer?

I ask because I was having similar issues with a non-wifi Motorola 6120 modem and Linksys router that was 25'-30'
away via cable length from my computers from my son's old bedroom two floors up. When he moved out I moved the
cable wiring / connections down to my basement shop within 6' of my computers and the problem disappeared.

Thanks for quick responses. My router is in the basement, I have a wired PC about 25 feet cable length to the first level, then several wireless connections on the first and second floors.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the router just sucks to me.
I had a similar issue with TWC. Bought my own router and modem, haven't had a problem in the last 4 years.

Yeah I was hoping this wouldn't be the case. It is my own router, but I just thought I was done with router issues when I got this one.

I would rather something under $100.. this is quite the limo in terms of wireless lol.

Check out the TPLink Archer C7, that's what I use.

I have a 50ft Gigabit run to a 4-port switch for my One/TV/HTPC, all those devices work fine along with my server/desktop/bench on the main router.
Then having a phone, laptop, Chromecast, and tablet on wireless.

Have you checked out the possibility that there are interference issues or ip address conflicts (particularly if being used as a second access point)?

Like wagex, I have found TP-Link products to be reliable and very reasonably priced.

Ill relate my recent experience in the event that someone does a google search and winds up in this thread.

I had intermittent connection loss even though the router lights indicated it was getting signal. Sometimes I couldnt even get a signal back and went from port to port same problem. At first i thought it mustve been the cable contacted the company and they sent out a replacement. Then i figured out even though the connector was held in place it wasnt going deep enough to make proper contact and to ensure that Id have to prop the slack of the cable against the wall to hold tension in the socket. As it turned it the issue was specific to this model of router that verizon was using their ports were out of spec, upgraded to their next highest model problem solved.

TLDR check for out of spec connector/port, damaged cable

Ill relate my recent experience in the event that someone does a google search and winds up in this thread.

I had intermittent connection loss even though the router lights indicated it was getting signal. Sometimes I couldnt even get a signal back and went from port to port same problem. At first i thought it mustve been the cable contacted the company and they sent out a replacement. Then i figured out even though the connector was held in place it wasnt going deep enough to make proper contact and to ensure that Id have to prop the slack of the cable against the wall to hold tension in the socket. As it turned it the issue was specific to this model of router that verizon was using their ports were out of spec, upgraded to their next highest model problem solved.

TLDR check for out of spec connector/port, damaged cable

Wow, that's.... wow.
Glad you figured it out in your case, definitely good info here.

Update:

I moved my router on the middle floor and re-installed the firmware. There was also a "Movie Engine" switch and I turned that off. Since then, I haven't had a single connection issue for over a week.

Back