• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the point of a blazing fast m.2 drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediman

Being a nerd I appreciate the accomplishment of these new blazing fast M.2 drives and want one because of their speed, but my enthusiasm is tempered by being unable to find a situation in which I would derive any real world benefit over having a "good old" SATA 3 SDD. It seems as thought load time changes from quintupling throughput speeds are on the order 1%. I would guess they are still too slow to be used in say a simulation as an alternative to RAM. What use does the average Joe, the Pro-sumer, or the enthusiast have for these devices? Where do they actually benefit workflow/computer use? New skylake mobo's seem to want to put 12 of them on each mobo eating up all the PCI-E lanes, but what good are they doing?

Some people utilize the full speed of SSD's and can benefit from the added speed.
That said, 99% of people are just fine with SATA III for now.

Also revel in the form factor. An m.2 has a very small footprint and should be a good choice for tablets, lappies, and yet-to-be introduced hardware.

Also revel in the form factor. An m.2 has a very small footprint and should be a good choice for tablets, lappies, and yet-to-be introduced hardware.

Also mITX and other SFF desktops. (Think Intel NUC also)

2-3 minute bare metal installation times, and hard drive speeds approaching that of your memory. I can think of many many benefits.
I'm referring to NVMe ssd's in particular.

2-3 minute bare metal installation times, and hard drive speeds approaching that of your memory. I can think of many many benefits.

Still nowhere near DDR3/DDR4 speeds at all.

Even so can you imagine how fast you could encode video, or do cad work. It is the future to be sure and worth every penny in my eyes. I haven't ripped a dvd in a long while because I don't like the wait time.
To be sure, speed is dependent on all the hardware, not just the disk and memory. But it could get very interesting. I definitely do not want a 200+ watt processor. At least not the ones intel is putting out atm.

Last edited:
Even so can you imagine how fast you could encode video, or do cad work. It is the future to be sure and worth every penny in my eyes. I haven't ripped a dvd in a long while because I don't like the wait time.
To be sure, speed is dependent on all the hardware, not just the disk and memory. But it could get very interesting. I definitely do not want a 200+ watt processor. At least not the ones intel is putting out atm.

Video encoding is CPU dependent.
CAD work is CPU and GPU dependent.
DVD rips are ODD dependent.

The only software I've seen with non-negligible benefits these days are systems running large virtual machines.

Thanks for knowing your stuff ATM. Seems like form factor is the only benefit to the average user and even say someone working on large data set simulations or something of the like would still do all they could to avoid writing to disk, but if you have to then 4 times faster is better than not 4 times faster, though still terrible compared to RAM.

Well 2 GiB/sec is hardly in the same league as the 12 GiB/sec or more found in high end DDR2/DDR3 modules. The latency of NAND parts is also in u-secs, not nano-secs. Then there's the fact SSD's commonly use DDR2/DDR3/DDR4 as cache!

- - - Updated - - -

This thread read my mind as I was thinking of posting a similar thread.

Do M.2 SSD's have more application in the enterprise IT world? I'd
guess you could stuff a lot of M.2 SSD's in a 1U or 2U enclosure.

I've been reading of throttling problems w/the Samsung M.2 PCIe
parts.

Do the M.2 SATA III parts suffer from the same throttling problems
as the PCIe parts?

Ok, thanks guys, I was off a little. Ok a lot. HD's are most definitely not as fast as cpu/gpu or ram. So, when you need to move or access the created data, I believe therein lies the benefit. NVMe blows away current hd speeds for the most part. $380 isn't all that bad imho to remove some slight bottlenecking.

My mobo has uefi v2.3.1 (im pretty sure). I'm gonna give the Intel750 nvme drive a go with windows 7 and a usb flash with the intel drivers on it and hope it boots correctly. If not I'll try using windows 8.1 though it really depends on being able to boot to uefi, no legacy at all.

Last edited:
What about a very fast file server? Of course, you'll need at least 10G Ethernet to take advantage of it...

I couldn't even think a good file server would be the right choice. I could only imagine heavy database or workstation usage. I guess if you had to write/read from a network share then that would be beneficial, but you would also need them on your end otherwise you are stuck with your side being the bottleneck (excluding migrating data on the same drive)

Would be better off having additional RAM and making a RAM disk as it is significantly faster than nvme/m2

we're building another monster cfd rig for my new shop in the next state up, it's still spinners, ssd's , vast quantities of ram and a number of the new quadros, just like the system here only much more............

For consumers there is nothing much but speeding up the load times on the machine. Workstations the same, if you are a developer and run VMs on your machine you would definitely want an fast SSD. But where NVMe drives shine is in server applications. For example L2ARC or a ZIL on a ZFS filesystem, if you have a database you can put the most access partition on the SSD. For a PHP or other framework site you can use it as cache storage.

I couldn't even think a good file server would be the right choice. I could only imagine heavy database or workstation usage. I guess if you had to write/read from a network share then that would be beneficial, but you would also need them on your end otherwise you are stuck with your side being the bottleneck (excluding migrating data on the same drive)
What about one to many? A good use case could be one server booting dozens or even hundreds of clients over the network. DIY supercomputer setups come to mind...

Back