• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a Ryzen 5 desktop on a budget, questions on M.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

I want to build 1, maybe 2 desktops for the kids. This will be for school, video chats, video editing, and some games that I speculate would need to handle up to 4K, single monitor. I want to future proof for awhile and I don’t need to OC.

Was looking at either a 2600X or 3600X, I don’t believe I need a X570 but probably the 550 is better for future proofing, not sure.

As far as the M.2, I like the option even though regular SSD is fast. That being said, I’ve researched and watched a lot of videos, but not sure if I can run a graphics card and share lanes with a M.2, while getting 60 FPS @4k. If so, can I do this with the GPU on 8 lanes?

My thoughts are an a B550 Aorus Pro, 2600X, 16GB RAM, Two 2.5" SSD or 1 2.5” SSD/1 M.2 with a black magnetic drive as backup.

My concerns are, I assume I will need 6 SATA ports, and will I need a 2080 to achieve any reasonable 4K frame rate? Can I make this happen with a 1080Ti?

Is there a better motherboard option for running M.2

With a case, I would like to stay under $1K if possible, $800 would be great.

All input and criticism greatly appreciated.

Back