• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to get rid of my corsair gs800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valgua

Registered
Hi!

I am going to upgrade to skylake and I am considering to change my psu. It is a Corsair GS800. My reasons to change it have nothing to do with its power. 800 w are more than I need. However, my psu is now four years old and it was not a top of the line unit to begin with. Simply put, I am afraid that it will let me down sooner rather than later and drag my new hardware with it. I was therefore considering to buy a Evga Supernova G2 850, which has a really good reputations. Am I being too cautious?

No idea what you are powering with it, but you say its way more than you need... so I think you are being too cautious, yes. GS800 wasn't best line, but, it should still be fine only being 4 years old.

If you do insist to buy something now, first list your specs so we can accurately help, but second, Go with EVGA GS650. there is no need to spend the extra $20 IMO.

The psu will be powering an Asus Pro Gaming Motherboard, an i7 CPU, 16 gb DDR4, 500 gb SSD, a 2tb HDD and an MSI Nvidia 970.

How long is the life expectancy of a PSU?

Depends on the PSU and its internals, but, you have a PSU that, if something happens, the likely hood of it taking out other components is quite slim. You just passed its warranty period (3 years).

The psu will be powering an Asus Pro Gaming Motherboard, an i7 CPU, 16 gb DDR4, 500 gb SSD, a 2tb HDD and an MSI Nvidia 970.

How long is the life expectancy of a PSU?
If you do get a new Psu, with the build posted above you could run it on a 500w Psu, 650w if you want a little headroom to play it safe. Anything higher is overkill and a waste.

the problem with the 500watt units is not weather it will run his system, it's the gpu connectors he needs to make sure of.
I have one that only has a single 6 pin.

Stuff happens.

It is indeed better to get a PSU with 2 6+2 pin PCIe. Its not like that is a huge risk though.

it's only a real issue when you push things beyond the limits or cheap out (like I had done) on the back bone stuff.
as I replace my psu's I am going to the top shelf evga stuff, getting them from oklahomawolf so I know it's been gone through by someone that knows more than I do about them.

Good plan. Current PSU is from him also and it's fantastic. Way, way, overkill for my needs, but I like that it gets ~91% efficiency while running mostly-fanless in my system.

Back