• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im Back, i7 920 on Water @ 4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tornadomaniac

Just wanted to tell everyone hey and show off my revamped old pC

Been over 6 years since ive been on here
had to make new profile

Soon to come Dual Intel Xeon 5500 series on liquid/peltier cooling for a F@H Rig

h4fl6m.png

With Idle temps at 44-48
CPU-Z Stress Test yields 66-67

Ordered new MB to push further.

Any guesses to why im getting blue screen over 4.2ghz with vcore of 1.440

I've got the same good ole dinosaur. I've got a 5820K sitting right beside me, ready to be installed when my new motherboard comes in later in the week. My 920 has been running great at 3.8 for over six years now on a 120 true. It'll hit temps that high at full load. I've had it over 4 but on only for a few minutes before it would take a nose dive. You're running water, so you might be fine.

I've had it folding at 100% made some vcore adjustments and have it peaking at 77c
It's a great proc but not smashing benchmarks like I want. I'm going to get a 4820k and push it to the limit with a rampage black edition. Going to use a chilled liquid cooling setup with a couple tec or possibly single stage phase change

5 years ago I was holding top 20 records with the 920 and some old school graphics in 3 way sli

Generally, that is where they topped out from 24/7...4.2 ghz or so. Not sure I would have put any more money into that platform for a couple hundred mhz though..

Im thinking of moving to the 2011 socket just for the higher memory throughput and get a 4820k think that might get some top ranks
There's no way I can justify buying 4 Titan z's to knock on K|ngp|n's and others with 4 $1500+ GPU's door
But CPU benchmarks I can come close
Anyone have any ideas on a liquid helium pot as it is dif than ln2 or think stick with the good ole stuff

Cold bugs dude.. ypu won't reach -120v on most modern intel cpus so what is more than -194 going to do? ;)

Can't run 4 titan z in the first place....

Get 5960x and x99 if you want to attack modern gpu benchmarks. 5930k for budget oriented multi gpu runs on 3d vantage and up

Last edited:
Anyone attempt to the break the 8.9ghz mark on a older chip
It'll have to have heavy mb mods and volt mods

Anyone attempt to the break the 8.9ghz mark on a older chip
It'll have to have heavy mb mods and volt mods

Well, most Intel are lucky to break 6GHz with sub-zero cooling last I checked, so 8GHz is a bridge too far and asking too much. Only AMD can break the 8GHz barrier so far.

I'm just looking at all my options for getting some records or at least top 5's

What's your opinion of the 4820k or 5820k

I like your zeal, but it is likely going to take a bit more than just a single chip to reach those goals, friend. What are your goals though? LIke I said, you are all over the map... You talk about multi GPU configs and beating Vince in one post, then talking about a 9 ghz barrier, then want hex cores again. That cannot all be done on a single CPU. What are your goals? Records at what? Top 5's in what?

Believe me i know I can't Vince I don't have the money for multi GPU's like I was saying but I would like to post some good numbers in 3dmark on single GPU and the highest freq stable 24/7 on 2011 or 2011v3 platform
The goal is to be able to overclock with extreme cooling every now and then and post some good benchmarks
And secondary goal is to have a decent mild overclocked 24/7 on water for folding as I have family that benefits from our work I know it won't change the world but it's a good cause

Basically, any Futuremark GPU benchmark from Vantage/11/Fire Strike benefits from a lot of cores as there is a physics test that uses the CPU. If you were to go multiple GPUs, grab a 5930K instead of a 5820. But I wouldn't go 4930K.

Back