• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 970 SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I currently only have one card and am looking to get a second one. I will most likely be buying another Twin Frozr edition. Only problem, MSI currently has their regular 4G Gaming, along with the 100 Million Edition. There seem to be little to no changes besides for the fact that it is green and has a backplate. There was a video on youtube from a Russian reviewer who showed that the 100ME performed barely better because it OC'd higher.

For the same price do you guys think dealing with the green color is worth a backplate and maybe a few extras in the box? (Might look cool with green + red, idk) Also if you have any tips for SLI let me know!

I think the backplate might help a bit in SLI. 970s aren't that hot, though, so you might be better off just matching your current card.

We don't have to 'deal with it' Blue. This is really up to you since the price is the same.

My tips for SLI... only use it if you need it. With a 970, you should be fine at 2560x1440 even.

I'll say I was not happy with one 970 at 1440 and ended up grabbing a second. Largely depends on what you're playing

I have already purchased and installed my second 970 Twin Frozr regular. I love it as long as I can keep it using under 3.5gb

Yea, I didn't even bother to ask OP's res :chair:

Even if you're at 1440P, I agree with EarthDog, you'll be fine with the single 970 in most games. Occasionally you will have to turn a few things down. I suppose it depends on how much that bothers you. It doesn't bother me too much (I have a 970 @ 1440P). jaymz might be on the other side of the coin, however :thup:

Highest I can push. Ive got a 4k monitor

Can play MGSVTPP at 1440p high and it looks amazing

Then you're better off selling your 970 and investing into a 980ti if you can swing it, and an R9 390 if you can't. Dual 970s will still have trouble at 4K because they'll start to hit the memory cap at that resolution.

Yea, I didn't even bother to ask OP's res :chair:

Even if you're at 1440P, I agree with EarthDog, you'll be fine with the single 970 in most games. Occasionally you will have to turn a few things down. I suppose it depends on how much that bothers you. It doesn't bother me too much (I have a 970 @ 1440P). jaymz might be on the other side of the coin, however :thup:

When I payed for a new monitor and a 970 and had the same performance my 7970 had (@ 1680 × 1050) though at higher resolution I wasn't happy and 980ti's weren't out yet. I don't like having to turn down settings on brand new hardware, a year or two down the road doesn't bug me as much

Then you're better off selling your 970 and investing into a 980ti if you can swing it, and an R9 390 if you can't. Dual 970s will still have trouble at 4K because they'll start to hit the memory cap at that resolution.

I agree here, the 970s are already pushing vram limits at 1440

That should be a useful setup at 4K in a year or so. There are not many DX12 titles slated to come out soon (next 6 months or so). But for those titles, should be solid.

This also comes back to my other post about system ram. Since APU's can see great performance increases from faster system ram, would this also stand true for whenever the 970's would go above 3.5GBs?

If you guys have the same mind as I do, it makes sense. I might get a fast 2x4gb kit and sell my current 2x4 and 2x2

Not really, kind of like putting a header on a honda, is it faster sure. Will you feel it, no

This also comes back to my other post about system ram. Since APU's can see great performance increases from faster system ram, would this also stand true for whenever the 970's would go above 3.5GBs?

If you guys have the same mind as I do, it makes sense. I might get a fast 2x4gb kit and sell my current 2x4 and 2x2
Well, knowing the facts, it doesn't make sense.

As was said, it may be negligibly faster, but it won't be by much. It is NOT a an integrated GPU that relies SOLELY on system ram so it is a bit of a different beast. I would just stick with what you have. You really seem to want to throw money at things which will give no or negligible improvements dont ya? :)

LOL, there are a few of you... but the majority can be talked down off the ledge. Others are stubborn. But hey, it's not my money. We are here to lead the horse to water. Its up to you to drink it. :)

Speaking of spending money for no reason! Anyone else buy a console collectors edition of MGSV TPP just for the bionic arm? :D

Back