• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New video editing machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gotcha. Yea, that makes sense. If you go with the 4790K, OP, all you need is a board which will support it. It boosts pretty high on it's own, so you don't need an "overclocking-friendly" mobo. Just google whichever board you do go with regarding ram speeds. My experience was with the Asrock H97 Pro4. Could only get it to boot with RAM whose default (and XMP profile) was CAS9/1600Mhz. Higher speed was a no-go (I tried 1866 and 2133). Lower latency also a no-go (tried C7/1600). YMMV with other H97 boards, just something to keep in mind.

This is typical, only the Z boards allow for RAM overclocking (which is anything over 1600MHz 9-9-9 according to Intel)

I have considered AMD option before, and after some reading on the internet i decided to stay with Intel 4790K. I want to take that CPU as a good basis for a serious machine that will be built in some steps.

You can use the PSU you have. I would look to replace it ASAP(!!) though. Do you have a model number for it? It's likely not a very good unit and the last thing you want is for it to fail and kill another, much-more-expensive component.
total: 60,240 RSD (re-using HDD, case, PSU :(, no GPU, and using the stock Intel CPU cooler)
That's over-budget by a bit, but it might be the best you can do, while keeping the 4790K.
Thing is that i need this machine built asap, and thats why i want to use some parts from my old comp. First thing that will come after CPU, MB, and RAM is PSU. It is basically matter od days, maybe one-two weeks from buying base components to upgrading PSU. GPU later...

PSU model it is Chieftec GPS 400AA-101

I am currently using ASUS N750JV laptop with i7 4700HQ, and i am quite happy with it. Thats one more reason i vote for Intel. One more is i need a reliable, stable machine, with no or little OC.

Last edited:
As long as you're okay with going over your budget, then the i7 is the way I'd go.

I really like the idea of i7, and i will go with it. Budget i specified it budget of this moment and will go up in very near future. Probably the Z97 chipset as well. You suggested that stock cooler will do fine, but currently im using Hyper TX3 EVO which i will transfer to the new machine, so i am safe there :)

- - - Updated - - -

Friend... scrap that psu...

I understand PSU importance, and will definitely try to get good one as well in the first round of components. Can you please suggest me two (low cost but good-safe) options for use with CPUs GPU, and second for a "real" GPU?

The seasonic I linked above is the cheapest I'd trust from that site.

I'll look again for a unit which would also support a GPU (430w would limit your GPU options).

Edit:
That Seasonic 430w would be my pick for now. Aren't many other brands I would trust available through that retailer and the next step up from Seasonic (the 520w) is a good deal more money. I'd go with the 430w until you know which GPU you'll be adding (some require far less power than others).

Last edited:
In my signature is a link to known good psus... check that out and find one available to you in your budget range.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, soon i will post my exact build, but it definitely is going to be i7 system.

Hello again, still building best solution for me :)

Is this PSU worth anything: COOLERMASTER Elite Power 600W RS600-ACAB-M4 ?

or

I just found M12II SS-850AM 850 W 80+ bronze for 90$ (used)

Last edited:
Ok, so here is my definitive component choice, i managed to stretch the budget for some amount:

CPU: I7 4790K - 310 euro
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H - 97 euro
HyperX 16GB FURY DDR3 1866MHz CL10 KIT HX318C10FK2/16 - 90 euro
M12II SS-850AM 850 W 80+ bronze - 80 euro

Please give me any thoughts on component choice. Thanks!

Looks fine to me, just know that you don't need nearly 850W.

Sure, i know, its just that i found decent PSU for a price i can afford, used tho, but still under warranty. I am planing a decent GPU in near future so it will be OK. Still overkill, but OK :)

Back