• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thinking of a 380

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Currently using a gtx 760 but wanting to upgrade ~200 range. I know the 280/290s were good cards from what I heard. Been with nvidia for a decade, but seems amd might have some good upgrades in my price range. Looking at vs the 960 at the moment. But im flexible.

Current PC in sig. Looking into games like Fallout, Wildstar and such. I know currently can handle it on about med/high settings, but just looking for better.

So how good is the 380? any recommendations?

The R9 380 which is basically a R9 280 with more Vram, will be an improvement over the GTX 760 but not a drastic improvement, all depending on the game. Where it will be a big improvement is in the Vram if you went with a 4gb version. The newer titles coming out today are using more and more Vram so it will definitely help in that area. See here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1332

The R9 380 which is basically a R9 280 with more Vram, will be an improvement over the GTX 760 but not a drastic improvement, all depending on the game. Where it will be a big improvement is in the Vram if you went with a 4gb version. The newer titles coming out today are using more and more Vram so it will definitely help in that area. See here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1332

dont know if that will be good enough then. Hoping for a drastic improvement at least. Want to be able to run Fallout 4 with ENB mods and such, and the 760 is already just in the middle road for about 30 fps on it.

I always just get average, usually the middle road of nvidia after they gone down in price. So I want my next investment to last at least.

what about the 390?

Why do people keep messing this up? :p

Its not a 280, its the 285+, a totally different architecture (this one is actually "new" tonga vs pitcairn). TDP is still a touch high at 190, but its not over the top ridiculous.

The 390 IS a direct rebadge of the 290... sort of ... 8gb of vram (cool, but completely overkill for 1080p), they apparently overclock like mad, and clock for clock they appear to be faster (why? ripping my hair out on that one).

If youre looking for longevity... Id suggest getting the 390 over the 380.

so got the 390. I was tempted to get the gtx 970, but..price was just too much.

trying to find compairsons from kombuster against the 760 I upgraded from.

running a lot cooler than the 760 for sure. only hit 61º stock vs 85º on the 760

only results I could find were on lake of titan..and not in a good way

760 results ~ 180 fps...390...110fps

Last edited:
I wonder if your CPU is holding you back? You should definitely be getting better FPS with the 390...... ?!! I used to have an FX 6300 and it did well but I now have an 8350 and it does perform better as it should.

you need to check your graphics settings, that 390 should be holding a 2 gig 760 by the nose and kicking it in the pants.

and tell us a little about your driver choice and a bit about your psu please.
did you remove the 760 driver, and how did you do it.

I wonder if your CPU is holding you back? You should definitely be getting better FPS with the 390...... ?!! I used to have an FX 6300 and it did well but I now have an 8350 and it does perform better as it should.

thats what I original thought..but I hit 100% GPU usage.

you need to check your graphics settings, that 390 should be holding a 2 gig 760 by the nose and kicking it in the pants.

and tell us a little about your driver choice and a bit about your psu please.
did you remove the 760 driver, and how did you do it.

I used the display driver remover tool. Uninstalled drivers before putting in new card. Then just installed the latest amd drivers.

Seems weird. I did put witcher 3 on ultra settings with hair works and was able to get ~40 fps. Yet even with lower settings, my frame rate never improves. I am not locked to framerate either, i did check. checked ingame settings from locking frame rate and the catalyst control panel.

I do seem to benchmark pretty well though, in the top 70%

So I can get better quality graphics, but no game actually is getting an improvement in framerate with lower settings..which is why im confused. Ive tested it with Wildstar, FF14, Witcher 3, Watchdogs, Tera, Skyrim+mods, dark souls 2. Wildstar just seems to hate everything amd so, ill just blame that on them. But yeah, I can run higher quality and achieve the same/decent FR, but I can't seem to have an actual good 60FPS on any game I play..on any setting.

Im using a Thermaltake bronze series 650w.

Sounds like your cpu is too weak. I don't experience your problems in witcher 3. In fact, I can run several ultra settings and see 60 fps most of the times in 1080p.
I went from a 7970Ghz card and certainly noticed improvement in all my games.
Low or high settings with the same fps usually points to the cpu.

Sounds like your cpu is too weak. I don't experience your problems in witcher 3. In fact, I can run several ultra settings and see 60 fps most of the times in 1080p.
I went from a 7970Ghz card and certainly noticed improvement in all my games.
Low or high settings with the same fps usually points to the cpu.

thats what some people say, but then others say different, so I dont know

Because it uses 100% of the gpu, others with same build, and even weaker cpu get better results.

And I couldn't run ultra before, at all, so it did improve. All signs which show it isn't the cpu, and then some that do, so..yeah..i have no idea. maybe.

I mean, even skyrim, which my cpu without a doubt can handle, gets only 30 fps on medium settings.

And I couldn't run ultra before, at all, so it did improve.
So you raised up the settings? It would make sense then, wouldn't it? If you wanted to know how your GPU did compared to your old one, you would have to test it at the same settings. It makes sense that if you turned settings up, FPS would be lower...

So you raised up the settings? It would make sense then, wouldn't it? If you wanted to know how your GPU did compared to your old one, you would have to test it at the same settings. It makes sense that if you turned settings up, FPS would be lower...

yeah, I originally didn't think there was an improvement..simply because every game I play..didnt show an improvement on the same settings. Still dont.

So I can definitively play at higher settings, but when trying to find a spot I can play at 60fps..it doesn't happen under any settings..under anygame.

Probably the CPU holding you back as others have said unfortunately. I ran Witcher 3 with a 290 at mixed all-high and ultra settings and got minimum 60FPS.. but that's with an overclocked 2600K.

Back