• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer is being weird, laggspikes & freezes in multiple games, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so i ran prime95 on my pc this night to see if it would do anything, i ran small FFTs with 8 torture test threds to run and i didnt pop any errors up... should i change the number to make it run for longer or? my pc rebooted because of auto update on it <.< and if it is enough can i then start to suspect that its my motherboard that is the issue? the test ran from 23:44:14 to 03:29:42.. i will try and set it to run another test with auto-update off so it doesn't reboot to install updates ^^ but since all self-tests passed should it try and see if i can find another old motherboard online ? so i dont have to buy all new cpu and all that stuff. i have found 1366 socket motherboards on amazon that goes between 240$ and 380$(new-only been tested to see if it was working it says) i know it is quite alot for an older motherboard but its alot cheaper then going out to buy mobo,cpu,ram and in this case psu since it is a new setup

Have you tried re-installing Windows 10 yet?

You ran prime FFT for about 4 hours without any issues. It does seem there is an issue with the Pci-e area of the motherboard.

As far as spending $240+ on another motherboard that is up to you. If it were my money I'd grab a I5 4690k and a Z97 motherboard for around $300 and sell the I7 960 for around $60-$80 from what I see on Ebay. Something like this would work, you can still use the DDR3 ram you have and the Psu will be fine, albeit overkill for the setup.

yea tried reinstalling windows again nothing changed, yea seems like it would be better to that instead of just spending a load on a realy old motherboard... btw i would allso need new ram since the old 1366 socket i got is running triple channel but again.. no money but i would prolly choose what you said.. new mobo and cpu

but my ram is triple channel? i can't use triple channel to the full potent if its a duel channel motherboard? or am i missing something?

The ram isn't triple channel the motherboard was, the set of ram you have is just a matching set of 4g sticks. The Z97 boards are dual channel so if you put 2 sticks in the correct slots it will be dual channel.

actually last question since you are so smart :p as far as i know every psu is compatiable with every cpu(sounds weird read on :p) so long that there is enough watt output to run it... here is the question now.. i was browsing psu's and looking at a 1000watt from corsair that said compatiable with 4.gen and nothing else about other generations... shouldn't i be able to use it for a 5.gen as well? like i7-5820k? (gonna save up and buy new 2011-v3 mobo and that cpu with new ddr4 ram and maybe a psu depending on income the next few months)

I have the same Silent pro 1000w unit and it works just fine on my I7 6700k/Msi Z170 setup, it will be fine.

okey since as far as i know there shouldn't be an issue but was just weird it said that it was compatiable with 4.gen.. first time i have seen them write it like that.. seemed like they wrote it as it was only compatiable with 4.gen cpu :S so weird

hmm got a new error for this old case now... DPC_watchdog_violation, blue screen saying the computer is shutting down to not dmg my hardware so i guess that would explain abit... now the only issue is that from what i can tell it says i should buy a software program to fix it... called WinThruster... that program searched my pc and said there were 97 reg.database errors... aint good if that is true and would explain why i get those random lag spikes atleast from what they said on the website

http://www.solvusoft.com/da/errors/...ystem/bug-check-0x133-dpc-watchdog-violation/

It's malware buddy. They got you to download it. ;)
Watchdog errors are generally a fouled OS.
Wipe that drive and start from scratch.

Lets be more specific, where are we at here. Did you buy a new setup or are still running the old one?

Technically it's not, but there is no one click program that magically fixes your computer.....especially if they tell you you have to buy it.
Just wipe the drive and start with a clean system. You'll be better off.

hmm i did run a clean wipe when reinstalling win10 but it happend before i installed windows 10 as well when i was using win7 just didnt pop up with the error message

btw just incase you haven't read the hole thing i do not have a cd copy, the only thing i can do is use the software from win10 upgrade that does a clean install

Last edited:
Win10 is far from a perfect OS. It creates more problems than it's worth right now. IMO, it wasn't ready for release.

Last edited:
Back