• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Desktop (low cost or free!) Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I recently got an old laptop working again (had a screen, keyboard, hard drive, etc. that was FUBAR), without fixing the screen (didn't bother as it's not really "fast" enough for use.) I have this computer sitting under my desk, connected to my LAN...and upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 Home.

I want to avoid having to plug in a monitor to do things with it, so I started looking around for free/low cost remote desktop software to avoid having to pay $99 to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I have tried:
- Splashtop
--- Was already using this to connect my iPad to my PC...works great for that, but I can't get a stable connection between PCs. No help from their tech support

- Teamviewer
--- This works OK, but the server on the laptop uses a lot of CPU resources, and the update rate is slow (as compared to the remote desktop in Windows 10)
--- Only allows me to run at the resolution of the laptop (doesn't scale like remote desktop in Windows 10)...annoying but not a showstopper

I am currently using Teamviewer and was wondering if there is anything better?

Thanks!

I'll check out a couple of those.

I avoided the Chrome Remote Desktop as you can only do through the Chrome browser window.

Thanks.

Does Windows 10 Home not include RDP?

Otherwise, I've always used TightVNC. Works well for me.

Does Windows 10 Home not include RDP?

Windows 10 Home has the client side for RDP, not the server side.

The machine I want to connect to only has Windows 10 Home.

I'll check out TightVNC

Plus one on teamviewer, get the teamviewer host installation, it runs as soon as the machine turns on.

I'm using Teamviewer now.

Pros:
- It's free
- It works
- Autostart of server on reboot

Cons:
- Will only let me connect at current resolution of remote computer
- Update rate is "clunky"
- Consumes more processor power than Windows RDP
- I have to type in a flipping long number instead of the computer name...only 1 time though

But hey...it's free!

(Splashtop is still not working...WTF?)

Not sure at what point you have to enter the number. I recall linking the machine to my account during the host install by logging into my tw account.

Not sure at what point you have to enter the number.

TeamViewer.png

Like I said...I only had to do it one time.

The software works. Other than not being able to change the resolution of the screen I am happy with it (and the price was right!)

That's fine, what he's saying is if you open the 'computers & contacts' side panel and you login with a team viewer account (assuming you have one) on both machines it shows up and allows you to just double click and remote control. It's what I use for my headless htpc vm, macbook, and relatives machines for easy support :)

Back