• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, the heck is this 3 pin for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Synn21588

Registered
Just above the digi+ EPU there is a 3 pin connector. Wtf is it for?? Can't find anything in the manual and there is no print on the board

FWIW, not all boards seem to have those pins soldered in.

My guess, based on limited info online about them, is that it is a form of voltage read point.

Seems my new Sabertooth has this 3 pin soldered in.
I quickly looked it up, ATM is right, has something to do with reading and setting voltages of the Digi+ EPU.

Wonder how one uses it though?

Seems my new Sabertooth has this 3 pin soldered in.
I quickly looked it up, ATM is right, has something to do with reading and setting voltages of the Digi+ EPU.

Wonder how one uses it though?

Unfortunately I have no idea on this :(

this header is drawn in every diagram of the board but is never noted......

They put that there so people will ask dumb questions :rofl::chair: JK
I don't have the R2 so I don't know anything about it.

This jumper in similar location on Crosshair F-Z is used for LN2 cold booting. It is not labeled on the motherboard and the book says it helps eliminate processor cold boot and works in conjunction with the Slow mode switch. When enabled, the slow mode helps prevent system from crashing and slows down the cpu, and the systems tuner will make adjustments. The foot note reads as follows, ensure to set the LN2 jumper to [enable] before using the slow mode switch.

However I am not aware of a slow mode switch on a sabortooth 990FX rev ?.?. It is possible it could be a LN2 jumper that enables slow mode which slows clock frequency to prevent post hangups.

Don't quote me on this.

One simple way to test if it's a readout is by simply using a multi-meter.

This jumper in similar location on Crosshair F-Z is used for LN2 cold booting. It is not labeled on the motherboard and the book says it helps eliminate processor cold boot and works in conjunction with the Slow mode switch. When enabled, the slow mode helps prevent system from crashing and slows down the cpu, and the systems tuner will make adjustments. The foot note reads as follows, ensure to set the LN2 jumper to [enable] before using the slow mode switch.

However I am not aware of a slow mode switch on a sabortooth 990FX rev ?.?. It is possible it could be a LN2 jumper that enables slow mode which slows clock frequency to prevent post hangups.

Don't quote me on this.

One simple way to test if it's a readout is by simply using a multi-meter.

Hmmm.....interesting.
Need to look at the R1 board.

Little nervous to check with a DMM, just got it installed and running...
Just measure across the pins or put a lead on a pin and the other lead to ground?

I find it somewhat unlikely to be a readout for voltage as you only need two points. A ground and a hot for DC current.

The Probelt for readings on CHFVZ is just next to the 24 pin EATXPWR plug on the right. And is as follows...

o - ground
0 - CPU
0 - CPU/NB
0 - VDDA
0 - DRAM
0 - NB
0 - HT
0 - SB
0 - ground

Typically a three pin header is for a fan, but without the tab it's a jumper of some sort.

ETXPWR is as follows

+3 Volts _o - o GND
+12 Volts o - o +5 Volts
+12 Volts o - o +5 Volts
+5 stndby o - o +5 Volts
Power OK o - o -5 Volts
Ground__ o - o Ground
+ 5 Volts o - o PSON#
Ground__ o - o Ground
+3 Volts_ o - o -12 Volts
+3 Volts_ o - o +3 Volts

Oh and EPU is software controlled. There are no known pins or jumpers to enable EPU on any board I've owned that I am fully aware of.

I use EPU quite often on my rig through AISuite and the driver needs to be installed for it to work. Never have I used a jumper for EPU.

On a note, EPU is quite interesting and still can be used in conjunction with manual overclocking. It typically locks Cpu frequency at 1400mhz and lowest P-state voltage. I've had mine set while low reference clocking as low as 1100mhz at .880v. What's neat about EPU is you can see your Reduced CO2 Emissions and current Cpu power in watts. I'm currently pulling while EPU active only 4.38W (basically idle) and my Reduced CO2 Emmision is climbing still because I just activated it reading 27.160mg. The reduced emission raises showing how much reduction there is vs actual Emission readout.

All on FTW basis of course.

Back