• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, the heck is this 3 pin for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm with Silver and want to find out as I also have the R2 with the 3 pins. I also have to take Scotty's advice and not F*&^ with it because the board is still in good shape :)

HUM...........
The readers wait for an answer.

I'm not certain anymore but I think someone asked ASUS that question a couple years ago and it was used for testing at the factory IIRC or diagnostics of some sort. It's definitely NOT a fan header

Has anyone reached out to ASUS?

In my limited spare time, have phoned Asus about this particular jumper. I have to call back between certain times in the AM tomorrow pacific time and ask to speak to a Lvl 2 technician. I have a funny feeling a Lvl 2 technician will have no idea exactly what the pin is intended for.

It is unusual that a jumper is physically soldered to a motherboard with no description either on the board or in the service manual.

Johan, the thread from "a couple years ago" has no mention exactly what the jumper is intended for besides the fact was determined by you and Rgone it is indeed "NOT" a fan header.

If time is on my side and memory serves me well enough, I'll call Asus back and try and track down a Lvl 2 technician or higher level of technician to find an answer to the mysterious 3 pin unmarked jumper on the infamous Asus Sabortooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard.

Can the pins be visually traced on the PCB to see where they go ? Or traced with a VOM ?

Not sure how much that could help. I'm by far no electrical engineer, however there may be one person at OverClock.Net that could answer this question.... Goes by the name The Stilt. He's very well knowledgeable to hardware and and electronics. He probably knows exactly what the three pins are for. Perhaps I could shoot him a quick PM.....

Inquire with Stilt and I quote -

Hi,

It´s the programming / external control interface for the digital VRM controller.

Usually ASUS doesn´t install the jumper headers to keep users accidentally plugging in a jumper in it.
If a jumper is plugged in, it will most likely fry the VRM controller, so don´t do that.

Yea, The Stilt has a vast knowledge base. I left OCN a couple of years ago, when I found you guys :) I still have an account there but don't use it. I left because you guys were 1) easier to talk to and 2) were more willing to help out a newbie :thup:

Yea, The Stilt has a vast knowledge base. I left OCN a couple of years ago, when I found you guys :) I still have an account there but don't use it. I left because you guys were 1) easier to talk to and 2) were more willing to help out a newbie :thup:

Some of them guys are really cool. However I do know that there are a few there that do not like my presence and have had my posts not only bashed by a user but also removed while defending myself. Also had a talkin to for using abbreviation such as WTF, which doesn't always mean what it looks like. It's pretty uptight there so I for one need to really watch my P's and Q's there while it seems I'm under close watch for no apparent reasoning. I generally try to help with meaningful information and watch other users abuse the rules while I'm forced to strictly abide by them.

However, there are some really good guys there and I don't let the above type bother me too much as I've talked to a couple of mods in PM explaining myself, but rules are rules and must be followed. And honestly I don't mind setting good examples and sharing my valuable secrets and information there.

I've been regg'ed there for quite some time but spend little time posting there as it's not on my favorite list, But I've been trying to participate a little more often now a days as there is plenty of good reading material there, plus I like to get the Intel Junkies all messed up by saying little comments like AMD is just better than Intel. LOL.

Some of them guys are really cool. However I do know that there are a few there that do not like my presence and have had my posts not only bashed by a user but also removed while defending myself. Also had a talkin to for using abbreviation such as WTF, which doesn't always mean what it looks like. It's pretty uptight there so I for one need to really watch my P's and Q's there while it seems I'm under close watch for no apparent reasoning. I generally try to help with meaningful information and watch other users abuse the rules while I'm forced to strictly abide by them.

However, there are some really good guys there and I don't let the above type bother me too much as I've talked to a couple of mods in PM explaining myself, but rules are rules and must be followed. And honestly I don't mind setting good examples and sharing my valuable secrets and information there.

I've been regg'ed there for quite some time but spend little time posting there as it's not on my favorite list, But I've been trying to participate a little more often now a days as there is plenty of good reading material there, plus I like to get the Intel Junkies all messed up by saying little comments like AMD is just better than Intel. LOL.

I get the same deal there.
"Loved by thousands, hated by millions". :attn:

Bitemarks and Bloodstains has a hardon for me. :p

Back