• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG FNG- First post and build log thread- Custom Parvum/SLI/Water Cooled PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DSC_0040_zpsiitaislp.jpg

DSC_0041_zpsjxpl2qpy.jpg

DSC_0042_zpsjnly2zez.jpg

DSC_0043_zpsk4yq7p7b.jpg

DSC_0044_zps9cln2uwa.jpg

DSC_0045_zpsfkfcbqz2.jpg

DSC_0046_zpszha6dnwv.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_0047_zpsetryllmf.jpg

DSC_0048_zpsc8lnedwq.jpg

DSC_0049_zps5ufp7weq.jpg

I'm guessing most of that is the second build, right?

I'd keep a socket cover on though, don't want to bend pins.

So a little back story to the mess. This build has been in the works for about two months or so. The plan and design has changed a few times. It just keeps evolving is what I like to say. It has now turned into two builds, one for myself and another for the wife. So I will see how I try to split this up in the OP and going forward so everything doesn't turn into too much of a big mess lol.

Today I sold my SL 4.7 i7 6700K. Yesterday I sold my Galax GTX 980 Ti HOF. I came across @ATMINSIDE and bought his GTX 980 KPE, his 4790K, and his ASRock OC mobo. Basically my GPU paid for that, which is a good start to a build huh..... :clap:

So I was planning on selling my ITX mobo (skylake) and the ram and getting the wife a Xeon 1231 v3 or an i5 4690K.........

But after a lot of back and forth I decided even though it will be overkill for her use we have it, why lose money on it to spend the same or more for previous gen stuff. So today I noticed the other Skylake CPU's are trickling out, and I am thinking of keeping the mobo because it's got the features I want and it's here and works great and slapping an i3 CPU in it. I scored for her last night from Newegg an MSI GTX 750 Ti 2GB Gaming GPU, and I ordered the EK block for it from their website which was on sale for $41. The GPU cost me $83 shipped after a $50 gift card they gave me because of a free item from a previous order not being in stock still to date. So I am really happy about that GPU score. I was originally thinking of getting her a GTX 970 but that deal intrigued me a lot.

I have a bunch of water cooling stuff on hand for the smaller build for her. Some of it will be used for her build and some might not we will see, but the parts on hand will be used. She will have dual 240 slim rads and an EK supremacy EVO. The white top in the picture which I had just recently ordered will come off in favor of a non CSQ acetal one to match the GPU block. Most likely a small res/d5 combo for her as well. The Corsair fans here will go on those rads. The motherboard is a Gigabyte G1 Z170N- Gaming 5 and the RAM is the G. Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz 16GB (2 X 8GB). I am planning soft tubing for both builds, this is my first ever PC build so want to make life a little easier. Her PC will go in the living room as an HTPC for her to share with my daughters, since mommy's Xmas gift to daddy is a new man cave for his PC....... :clap: Figured I would cut down the tab on my over the top build plan from before and get both of us setup right.

So where does this leave my build ........ lol......
Well I have a Parvum case already paid for with some custom touches but due to the change in directions currently rethinking case selection and specs to best suit my needs with a reasonable ETA. I have no doubt they are going to get busy when the new line launches soon.......they'r swamped as is. So from Mr. ATM I am getting the 4790K, the mobo before mentioned, and his GTX 980 KE. I plan to get a second GTX 980 KPE most likely from the B stock, and run both of them in single slot dress up with the acetal/nickel EK blocks. I have a D5 PWM Xtop acetal pump pictured before for my build, I need to get RAM and a PSU because the wife will stay with the 650 EVGA, and I will need rads, fans, CPU block, GPU blocks, etc etc.

Colors for both not 100% decided yet. I will also be getting custom sleeved cables made to length to clean both builds up, not just extensions. And my case will have a nice custom surprise from Parvum :clap:

Ok, sorry for the long and unorganized rant, I am just trying to organize my thoughts and both of these builds and share in the process. The wife's PC will most likely get done first as I anticipate my case taking longer. Her's won't be quite so customized but still nice.

Stay Tuned.........

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing most of that is the second build, right?

I'd keep a socket cover on though, don't want to bend pins.

Yup you see why I decided to just get the i3, makes life a lot easier. This build will basically be done save for cables and a few parts just need to pay Parvum for the second case.

But I could use the payment already made for hers since we are still working mine out, we will see.

Last edited:
Mocked up PC Part Picker links, minus the water cooling parts and fans obviously:

His:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=Vz4frH

Hers:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=jv8cCJ

I was able to pay for and add the EK Supemacy EVO in acetal + nickel for my build, and a spare acetal top for my wife's build. The i3 is my next mission for the build as then I can at least have a working air cooled test bench (rigged case lol) and I can play around with the 750 Ti and the 980 KPE :D

My wife's build went through some transformation today but hardware wise (not including WC gear) it's pretty much all ordered/bought/traded for. I think this CPU setup will complement the 750 Ti better than something from skylake for the wife's facebook box....... she doesn't game, do video editing, etc.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=jv8cCJ

The PSU it total overkill now and not enough juice for my build, so do I leave it as is, or try to swap it for something more in line with the build (lower watts)

There's been a couple of minor changes to mine and I have given Parvum final specs so they can move forward with a rendering and we can get my case done. Finally decided on a color theme.......

I should have some more parts arriving next week.

Water block for the 750Ti came in and it's such a work of art as are all of EK's pieces.

I also made another change to my build. I will be going X99, it's what I always wanted and I know I will kill myself later for not doing it. So have a mobo and 4790K to sell lol.......

Stay tuned!

A few pics. The wife's MSI 750Ti OC edition came in as well as the EK block for it. I also received the Acetal top for her EK supremacy EVO to swap the white top out. This was my first water block install and I cannot for the life of me see how anyone could say this is difficult.....

IMG-20151124-WA0030_zpsmoj8uivp.jpeg

IMG-20151124-WA0035_zps55bu7ocy.jpeg

IMG-20151124-WA0037_zps6ihv6voh.jpeg

Depending on how the GPU performs you might want something on the VRM to assist cooling.

My orange EKWB badges came in, a little preview of things to come:
DSC_0060_zpsxennhbla.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A fellow forum member on OCN (Mads1) was kind enough to work up renderings of a case for me to send to Parvum. I emailed them yesterday with the hopes they will accept. I absolutely love this design:

droidfront_zpsxydxplt1.jpg

droidiopanel_zpsittqxhvd.jpeg

droidfrontwindow_zps5yh3lxnj.jpg

droidback_zps27qna4lw.jpg

All feedback is welcomed from other forum members :D

Back