• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "I have IPv6 thread"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aftermath

As this is an enthusiast site I expect that lots of us have IPv6 already.
The idea is to build a list of what works if some one later has an issue with an equivalent config perhaps they can find the person whom can help.

Lets have a list to of:
location/country
ISP we use
Block given
Type of service; IPv6 native, dual stack, IPv6 over v4(6to4/tunnel), 6rd tunnel.
router
firewall; you need one if your PCs have global routable IP addresses no NAP/PAT exists on IPV6
problems
optional:
additional info, for example, network description.

OK:

UK
Zen (currently beta option on request)
/48 (65536/64)
dual stack; static IPv4 + Delegated Prefix : (2a02:8011:1005::/48)
Cisco 867VAE-k9
Cisco ZBF + pfSense, for proxy/filter and snort.
Quagga OSPFd does not support IPv6 so I have had to configure static routes on my access router, firewall and my switch.

Network
Currently running two IPv6 subnets for machines, using 4 of my /64 total Router-Firewall-Switch(L3)-2xnetwoks

As an enthusiast (read: network engineer) I don't have v6 addresses yet, nor do I see using them anytime in the next five years at least.

if i see ipv6 in 10 years il be amazed. rural america ftw!

Had 6rd on AT&T DSL. Not sure what their U-Verse is, since there appear to be no available-for-purchase-by-end-user modems that support the bonded VDSL lines it uses. Time Warner Cable in Austin area is dual stack. My rented servers out of Germany (Hetzner.de), New York, Chicago, and Dallas have all included a /64 at no extra cost, so every subdomain gets its own IP. Makes reverse DNS really easy :)

Had 6rd on AT&T DSL. Not sure what their U-Verse is, since there appear to be no available-for-purchase-by-end-user modems that support the bonded VDSL lines it uses. Time Warner Cable in Austin area is dual stack. My rented servers out of Germany (Hetzner.de), New York, Chicago, and Dallas have all included a /64 at no extra cost, so every subdomain gets its own IP. Makes reverse DNS really easy :)

Are they using Multi-Link Point-to-Point Protocal (MPPP)? commercially we used to have that on 4 E1 (2Mb/S) lines before we got some fiber. Cisco routers support that. If they are using some garbage type of VPN to bond xDSL I've only found that to sux.
If its somne type of vpn look for FireBricks routers. perhaps you cna find them in the states

For home, over here in the UK ADSL/SDSL 2Mb/s lines used to support that and then BT broke it. There was some loop hole that some of the v1 D-slams just resembled automatically. Had 2x 512K back in the day.

I've been paying a fortune for 2 Mb for the last 15 years here in the UK and the only person in the village I live able to use BBC iPlayer.
Now I have 30 for the same price + IPv6.

I guess I'm the only person using IPv6 in a commercial setting also.

More money for me then :p !

As an enthusiast (read: network engineer) I don't have v6 addresses yet, nor do I see using them anytime in the next five years at least.

EarthDog
I've got to ask:
Why is that worth a 'thanks'.
It is not in anyway helpful:
  • In fact its backwards looking: IPv4 is exhausted IPv6; Does not introduce everything it could/should have but InterNet of Things (INoT) will push what we have to braking point.
  • Does not impart knowledge: That's an opinion.
  • And transpires that, regarding later posts, is simply because the 'geographical challenged' ISP he is with was issued more IPv4 addresses than it could ever bring to market due to commercial posturing.

If anything it is simply opinion and as such not worth a 'thanks'.

That it's self could bring in to question the whole 'thanks' thing. Is it as useful as a FB like?

A Thanks would be something that you would want to link to later; Something that can be used to educate Noobs.
It would Ideally be a post that would include sufficient information that it could be reproduced and verified. Something that would stand up to "scientific method."

If you're still with me:
For example:
Here in the UK as per my location and (very old) avatar the UK is legalizing the mass surveillance that it is able to carry out.
The larger ISPs and phone operators will soon be keeping records of what everyone does also under the "Investigatory Powers Act"
One of the issues raised by the Science and Technology Committee on Tuesday 10 November 2015 was the issue of NAT. (1)
In fact one of the committee raised the point that it would be much harder for the tracking to work without implementation of IPv6.

The reason behind this is as follows:

Take a University with ~25,000 students.
Sufficient logging exists to know who internal has used an IP at a time. They can tell where and who was logged in where and when. At lease my old Uni could in 2004. Yes it was a Russel Group one.
The IP Bill with IPv4 Cops/Spooks can see a Gateway IP.
Nothing more.

IPv6 Allows the Cops/Spooks to see the IP that the "Co-operating" mail operator had connected to the mail server when the person was doing "Bad Things(tm)" They can go to the Operator and find out the users details.

The example used in The Committee meeting was of the Houses of Parliament and the limitation of only being able to reduce the prep to the few thousand behind their 2 IPs.

It goes to reason that the GVMNT / UK-PLC will leverage ISPs to migrate, at minimum dual stack.

You will find your using IPv6 on your phone, at home and, more slowly, even in the office within the next 5 years.

Guaranteed.

References
1 http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/34da6c14-73c4-45c0-bc56-c8596fd14117

Consider both you're selves informed.

Are they using Multi-Link Point-to-Point Protocal (MPPP)? commercially we used to have that on 4 E1 (2Mb/S) lines before we got some fiber. Cisco routers support that. If they are using some garbage type of VPN to bond xDSL I've only found that to sux.

From the converter box in the garage, it is physically two phone lines that go through an adapter to combine the lines onto a cat-5 cable which goes into the modem, and the modem shows it as two distinct 10Mb VDSL lines. If there were available hardware to replace the AT&T-provided stuff, I'd do so right away, but I couldn't find any. The TV box they provide uses "MOCA", too, and has no separate ethernet port or wifi capability, so I can't even bridge in my own router. Then there's the silly data cap (though for the past several months there has been absoutely no way to get to the data usage meter page on their site, either). Give me TWC where I can use my own modem and router and have no stupid data caps any day...

EarthDog
I've got to ask:
Why is that worth a 'thanks'.
It is not in anyway helpful:
  • In fact its backwards looking: IPv4 is exhausted IPv6; Does not introduce everything it could/should have but InterNet of Things (INoT) will push what we have to braking point.
  • Does not impart knowledge: That's an opinion.
  • And transpires that, regarding later posts, is simply because the 'geographical challenged' ISP he is with was issued more IPv4 addresses than it could ever bring to market due to commercial posturing.

Consider both you're selves informed.

No. It's only now exhausted via ARIN. IoT. Great. More buzz words.

It actually does.

Irrelevant. And since when is VM in London geographically challenged.

And I was well informed before your post.

Last edited:
Back