• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

one computer out of 3 cannot access internet. Even after reformat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daterxies

Registered
I ran out of all ideas i tried everything, basically even the wireless thing shows i have internet (sometimes no internet) but my signal strength is always 100%. my ps3, wii, and 2 other computers run perfectly fine on the net.

I had enough so i even ended up REFORMATTING my hard drive... expecting this to fix the problem... but for whatever reason it didnt.
i even switched out my NIC card to another pci slot... this time the network card was found instantly and windows installed it (after reformat windows 7 didnt recognize it)

i am gonna post my ipconfig and i noticed it shows network adapter #2 (is that anything significant? i never seen that before)

also notice my ping to my router.

-----------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Josh>ping 192.168.1.5

Pinging 192.168.1.5 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.5: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Josh>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Josh-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : wi.rr.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection
2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : wi.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-9C-A5-73-47
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4164:ca3:855a:e715%21(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.105(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:44:34 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:59:39 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
DHCP Server
. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 352331164
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-0C-94-52-6C-F0-49-54-9E-4C

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E
Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-F0-49-54-9E-4C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{1C15EB15-4762-4785-B405-0D6631476EB6}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.wi.rr.com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : wi.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e74:2cca:261c:b77f:97bd(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cca:261c:b77f:97bd%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Josh>

This doesn't look good at all:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
It would help if you listed all the components installed in your system. But at first glance, it appears that your best bet would be to try to replace your NIC.

The fact that Windows didn't recognize your NIC until you moved it to a different slot smacks of a motherboard problem (PCI controller, perhaps).

The "network adapter #2" is probably due to the fact that you reinstalled your network card in a different slot and Windows sees it as a new adapter. You should be able to delete the original network adapter in your network properties dialog.

This doesn't look good at all:

It would help if you listed all the components installed in your system. But at first glance, it appears that your best bet would be to try to replace your NIC.

The fact that Windows didn't recognize your NIC until you moved it to a different slot smacks of a motherboard problem (PCI controller, perhaps).

The "network adapter #2" is probably due to the fact that you reinstalled your network card in a different slot and Windows sees it as a new adapter. You should be able to delete the original network adapter in your network properties dialog.

Well the wireless network is linksys wrt120n, but sense other comps work guessing thats not the problem

the nic is linksys pci g card. The odd part is that it worked just fine up untill a day ago. The computer is only about a week old, including the nic... maybe its just a faulty card?

I even bought the wireless n router because i freaked out and figured it was that before checking if other comps worked or not lol. Is the 20 bucks extra worth it for the n card you think?

I am reformatting one more time with the nic in the new slot because i got some error that something digital thing couldnt get verified and tried uninstalling the drivers to the card etc and then it wouldnt let me reinstall it.

I would say its a driver problem with the card or just a bad card altogether.

that could be your culprit. Just test it out by switching off the monitor and seeing if the internet starts to work again. Most monitors are in the mhz range but I think some of the newer ones are using the 2.4GHz range. If your baby monitor is on the same desk or close to the desk that your computer is on I would bet that this would be the issue and would explain why your adapter shows good reception to the wifi point. You can also check this using some wifi tools out there that give you signal to noise information. You normally want your noise level to be around the -90dBm range or lower for best stability and speed and have at least -70 dBm of signal strength a good SNR would be around 50 or better ( the lower the ratio the slower or more unstable the link becomes) however use the SNR value in conjunction with your signal strength value

You guys are taking this too far. I doubt it's the signal being interrupted.

You should plug it directly into the router via ethernet to rule out the wireless being trouble.

What you should do is setting up your IP address manually.

Pick an IP address outside the DHCP range (find that in LAN settings in router). Then get the default gateway. Lastly get the DNS from the status page of your router's configuration. Type all the info in.

If it still doesn't work then change your DNS addresses to:

This is google's public DNS, so if there's any troubles with your ISP's one then google's one should work.

I agree that you should try a wired connection if possible but you don't seem to have any problem getting an ip address via dhcp and if your other computers have net access then its not going to be a dns issue with the dns you currently use so I would just let your router do the configuration work. However if dhcp fails to give you an ip address then try the aforementioned processes of selecting a static ip.
I would personally start with simply switching off the baby monitor first to see if that fixes seeing as how thats the most effortless thing to test.

with wireless, the simplest solutions first.

get rid of possible interferance, which is usually switching it to a different channel (1, 6, or 11, i normally set mine to 11) and/or turning off anything also using that spectrum to see if it is interfering, which is usually cordless phones, baby monitors, certain types of lightbulbs, etc...

You guys are taking this too far. I doubt it's the signal being interrupted.

You should plug it directly into the router via ethernet to rule out the wireless being trouble.

^^^^^^THIS

Always, always, ALWAYS start with the simplest solution.

I recently got Clear Wireless Internet.

Plugged up the modem: IMMEDIATELY gave me a full signal. Yet I was getting no internet. Checked the router... everything said I *should* have internet access... yet no device in my network had it.

First thing I thought of: It had to be on their end. (The documentation my modem shipped with was WRONG.

Called them: Seems you're supposed to go to "home.clear.com" the first time around to set things up. (The modem also came with the incorrect default password... they're batting a thousand!) No way of knowing this from what they sent you.

I would go a step further in this case and bypass the router altogether and plug the computer directly to the modem.

Also, if you have a "G" wireless nic in the computer and you have an "n" router, then there's a good chance they won't connect (especially on a linksys) unless you HAVE dual-band mode and unless it's properly enabled.

Light bulbs, that is something I wouldn't think of.

you'd be surprised. Certain types of lightbulbs put off radio interference... though weak... that can interfere. In some cases, especially with certain types of outside lights like streetlights, if they are close enough to where the wireless router is, when they kick on, it's enough of a radio spectrum surge to temporarily knock out the wireless service for a few seconds till the router/card resync.

Back