• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vengeance PRO memory question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

divinecsgo

Registered
Hello!

This is my first build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NM24cf
All the parts have already arrived except the case which will arrive on Wednesday.

Everything was fine untill this started to bother me: The Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Will I be able to run this ram on this pc, with this motherboard? How does it affect everything in the system? Is it bad that voltage is 1.65v instead of 1.5v recommended? What do I've to do to make it safe for my parts? It's my first build, and I don't want it to fail, also hard earned money would be a waste then. All the help is greatly appreciated. If you can - elaborate more, as I'm a complete potato at this and would love to learn some new things. Thank you!

The RAM is perfectly safe for your system, even at 1.65V.
You have a nice build list there, enjoy it :)

And feel free to post some pics once you're done!!

I definitely will. It will take me some time though, as I haven't done anything like this before except in college with an old pc. Did that in 30 minutes in college, but here I will be more careful. Going to run this at a stock cooler for now, however in couple weeks I will be getting a liquid cooler. Is it safe to run this rig at stock cooler for couple weeks? Sorry to bother, thank you!

Stock cooler is fine for stock...and even a bit of an overclock. They don't make coolers that do not work (though they are a bear to install properly).

I'm not planning on overclocking it for a while, but maybe in the future (that's why K processor). Thank you for kind answers, guys!

I definitely will. It will take me some time though, as I haven't done anything like this before except in college with an old pc. Did that in 30 minutes in college, but here I will be more careful. Going to run this at a stock cooler for now, however in couple weeks I will be getting a liquid cooler. Is it safe to run this rig at stock cooler for couple weeks? Sorry to bother, thank you!

Some of us play with a new build for a couple weeks to familiarize with a new OS and
BIOS (I only build new every 5 - 6 years) before overclocking and installing programs.
That way when you bork it attempting overclocks, and you surely will, you may corrupt
your OS and may have to reinstall it.

Since I'll have another computer for the Internet I'll work on a valid and safe overclock
before I install other programs or access the Internet with a new build.

Many of our members do this in their sleep and don't need much familiarization with
any of this but for a first time builder or one who builds infrequently it's learning
everything all over again. You really can't hurt anything as long as you're able to
reinstall your OS and start again if necessary. Been there a few times!

Also, question about OS.

I've got original OS on this pc (that I have right now), but I didn't buy it, it came with the pc already preinstalled. Is there any way I could get windows out of this pc to install on the new SSD that I got for my new pc without buying OS? I have the cd-key (when I press Windows+Pause), but I don't have a disk or something.

What I would do is reinstall 8.1 onto the new machine, activate it, then upgrade to 10.

Back