• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD GPU plans for 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most (all?) of the cheaper 4K TVs are unacceptable for use as monitors as they do not display text well. Input lag and actual 4K refresh rate is also a problem with most of them.

Also, how close do you sit. 40" is pretty huge for a desk display IMO :shrug:

Well , I was actually looking at 4k TV prices on newegg , and a 40" , 4k TV (120 Hz refresh) isn't all that bad. Especially considering the prices of decent monitors. That was why I asked about the 8 GB vs. (almost) 4 GB. My current monitor has small gouge right in the center , and I've already re capped the power supply board , so it will (hopefully) be replaced soon.

I doubt the 4k 120hz refresh is actually 120hz, it is either interpolated or is 120hz at 1080p. Most TVs don't actually have a real refresh rate of 120/240hz.

R9 390 is HDMI 1.4a. Frontpage Review Link:

"The MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G supports a maximum of three displays through two DL DVI-D outputs, HDMI (v 1.4a), and Displayport (v 1.2). Board power sits at 275W and is delivered through a 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe connector to the card. Max Resolution: 4096×2160 @24 Hz (1.4a)

Of course if you have a 4K TV that supports DVI-D (dual) or Display Port that would be 60Hz.

As you mentioned you'll dig into to this some more.:D

My friend setup looks fine, he has a 65" 4K TV 240Hz and he runs dual 290X CF on it seems to look pretty cool.

I was going to use HDMI to the TV. I would probably be sitting approx. 8' back. I haven't looked at the response times (hard to find it for most). I am seeing a lot of fine print issues , like 120 Hz (4k@30 Hz). So the card decision got harder because it looks like I'm going 1080p. LOL

My friend setup looks fine, he has a 65" 4K TV 240Hz and he runs dual 290X CF on it seems to look pretty cool.

It may look cool but the chances of it being an actual 240 htz refresh rate is almost zero and 290X's running any modern game anywhere near 120 fps at 4K is not happening.

Back