• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fury X CrossFire vs GTX 980 Ti SLI for 4K monitor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robned

Registered
In the process of buying a 4K monitor (42 inch Wasabi Mango - UHD420). It does 4K at 60 Hz on DP and HDMI 2.0. It has a Freesync window of 42-60 Hz.

The rig is intended for productivity and some gaming (a few hours a week - mainly FPS). I'm ok with 50-60 FPS if that is the tradeoff.

I've always been an Nvidia guy, never running SLI - but going for the top card. It appears that you need either CF or SLI to get games running in the 45-60 Hz window.

Question, from a non-AMD noob - is the Freesync worth the extra?
Should I opt for two Fury X and go into the dark? I understand you can't tweak the Fury X too much and there have been reports on pump noise.

Or should i go for the trusty Nvidia 980 Ti in SLI?

thanks!

If I was going to do the AMD route I would get cross fire R9 Nano's right now. Especially with the price drop. The Fury X's in my opinion are just not worth the premium. If you don't like what the nano offers then Fury Non X.

As for the NVIDIA side I have seen SLI 980 Ti's in 4K and it's great, but you could save some cash with SLI 980's and still get good performance. Depends on whether you need/want to spend what the SLI Ti setup will cost.

I decided to buy used and older myself and wait for what the next wave of GPU's brings and got 780 Ti's for SLI.

I was going to run non X fury cross fire but changed my build around.

Good luck. :thup:

Oh - so many options, so much head :bang headache...

I have to say I ruled out the Nano prematurely as I just looked at the form factor - thinking that is for a micro-build and no-way would it drive like a Fury X - 10-15% performance drop. After seeing the Nano, I don't think I can chose Fury X with extra power consumption and all the extra cabling for WC. Thanks for the heads-up!

The thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on AMD is that they don't do HDMI 2.0.

980 Ti still outperforms all AMD - and the only thing pulling me back from doing the 980 Ti in SLI is (besides the ugly money) - the fact that it doesn't do Freesync...

Since I'll be running a large enough monitor (42 inch) - would you say horisontal tear would be obvious and the Freesync is better as I will have a hard time reaching 60 Hz overall? I've never had this issue - so I don't know what to expect...

Freesync with Nano in crossfire or the better (and more expensive) 980 Ti in SLI.
Or just get another 780 (non TI) to match an older card... (even though it isn't that cheap) and wait out the market for next family hoping they will cater towards 4K better?

I decided to wait it out a bit and not pay the early price of admission. I'm glad you looked up the nano and for the reasons you stated to me it's a better choice right now especially with the price drops. If I was in your shoes I'd grab another 780 they can be found for good deals and SLI them and get a good 1440P monitor if you don't have one. As for freesync vs g sync, it's two different ways to sking a cat but both work well. G synch always carries a premium though on the monitors too vs freesync (for the most part).

As for the hdmi 2.0 when I was going to do the cross fire fury's I was looking at an adapter that was at the time soon to be released I think it was by guru3d......would have to look it up, it's for DP to HDMI 2.0.....

:thup:

Thanks.
I'll probably follow your advice. Will get my 4K monitor soon and see how it behaves with my 780. If it is bearable, but lacking that edge, I will go for a second 780 in SLI and wait out the developments.

:cheers:

Problem is going to be with the 3gb of vram on the 780... or two of them (since vram doesn't add up in SLI/CFx).

The fury line of cards really shine at 4k resolutions due to their hbm memory architecture and it's bandwidth. I would also look at 2 nanos if you are set on amd.

Problem is going to be with the 3gb of vram on the 780... or two of them (since vram doesn't add up in SLI/CFx).

The fury line of cards really shine at 4k resolutions due to their hbm memory architecture and it's bandwidth. I would also look at 2 nanos if you are set on amd.

Ok - very good to know that - I thought the SLI would add-up the memory...

Question still remains - is Freesync worth having on dual Fury Nano or should one go for the better 980 Ti in SLI and hope the out put is closer to 60 than 42?
They seem to perform better than Nano - but also more expensive nowadays.

How much is Freesync worth having?

I would imagine if the games you play have sli support then the dual 980ti would stay at 60 very consistently as long as you aren't maxing out AA (no need at such a resolution).

Freesync is alright, I have a monitor that supports it, but ultimately I don't use it that often.

Back