• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APC UPS OEM Battery Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
I bought an APC OEM battery to replace a failing one in an APC
ES550 backup power unit. Unfortunately I bought the wrong one and
they are not returnable individually. The one I bought is for a 260W APC
unit while my ES 550 is a 330W unit. They both are the same size
physically and they connect with the same connectors. You wouldn’t
know the difference except for a small label on the side with the part number.

They are both 12V batteries. What are the issues using it using anyhow?

Last edited:
Most likely you'll just have a smaller power capacity, I would wait for someone else to confirm though.

Most likely you'll just have a smaller power capacity, I would wait for someone else to confirm though.

I agree, I need an experienced "sparky" to advise.

I'm thinking it's similar to replacing an automobile battery with a smaller
one with less CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) but I really don't know that.

If APC did their job properly on that unit, which given that it's a power strip style floor thing isn't a given, a smaller battery will simply result in a shorter run time.
If, however, they cheaped out on the charging and did via x volts for y minutes without actually monitoring the charge level you risk a nice !BLAM! followed by sulphuric acid everywhere and unpleasant smells.

Now I'd hope they did it right, and they probably did, but it's not guaranteed.

Often times when the battery fails the rest of the thing isn't far from it, my general advice is to simply buy a new cyberpower unit.

If it were mine and money was tight I'd probably try the battery.

Check the voltage and amperage of the battery. It is likely the same capacity and battery, and the wattage limit is imposed by the unit itself.

EDIT: Bob beat me to it.

Back