• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 1000W PSU would you buy today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
So I had a thread a couple months ago with this new build about using my Enermax 850 or a Silverstone Strider 1000W I had lying around, but since it seems I'm having problems with the Strider I used and the Enermax is going to stay in this current machine I need to buy a new one.

Oklahoma Wolf was a great resource for PSU information, but obviously he is gone and JonnyGuru's website is gone too. I actually bought this Silverstone from Oklahoma Wolf and it is the same unit he tested on the site. I think the Enermax, too, but both are quite old now and since I'm thinking I'm going to turn my new 3090 machine into a crypto rig, I want to get an 80+ Gold or Platinum unit that is new and warrantied.

So older super great brands like PC P&C have apparently gone downhill. Even Seasonic, Super Flower and FSP have a fair amount of poor reviews on the Egg, and those were brands OW frequently rated quite high.

I'd wanted to keep it under $200, and there are a few units in that range (incl PC P&C), but the more I look at the reviews and such, I am willing to spend a bit more. Under $300 would be ideal. I know EVGA usually is good but again - even they have some bad reviews. I know you can and do get some faulty units from any manufacturer on occasion, and that pissed off people will post a lot more reviews than happy customers. I also know Corsair is generally thought of fairly highly, but anything with a Corsair name has a "Corsair tax" and I'm not really convinced they're head and shoulders above other brands to justify the premium...

I'd actually buy direct from EVGA, but they don't have any 1000W units in stock and haven't for some time, as I've been looking intermittently for weeks.

So, bottom line, is, if you were going to buy a 1000W 80+ Gold or Platinum today, which would you choose out of the herd? I don't even see a single Enermax unit on the Egg anymore which is strange.

I even used some Rosewill units back in the day, and some got pretty decent test results on JonnyGuru, but I don't know that I want to trust them with a high end mining rig, either...

Last edited:
Wow... I never thought to look at Best Buy. Their prices are quite a bit better than Newegg. I wouldn't have guessed. Even leaving out 3rd-party sellers and only searching "Sold By Newegg".

I ask why 1000W? You can easily use a 850W PSU and save some cash.

Seasonic Focus are always solid... EVGA G/P series are also solid.

I ask why 1000W? You can easily use a 850W PSU and save some cash.

Seasonic Focus are always solid... EVGA G/P series are also solid.

I considered that. There's a possibility I might add another card someday, I guess, and may upgrade to a 5950x, may still do some OCing, etc.

If you add another card, then I'd go 1KW. If not, then 850W is plenty, including overclocking with a 5950X.

^ I have Several EVGA SuperNova 1300w Power supply that I have setup for Benching.. that I would recommend :) I have a Corsair 1200w (NON I Version - purchased from Witchdoctor) that I use for every day that I would also recommend. In the END my pride and joy is a a LEPA Gold 1600w and I would HIGHLY Recommend it - They are part of Enermax. -> Now where to purchase them here in the US is another problem :rolleyes:

^ I'll tell you just as I told my DAD when he bought a new cordless drill.. Even with a basic Hammer, someone will leave a bad review. I hate it because, it didn't have a Thumb/Finger protector OR I paid $100 US, EU, Ect..Ect.. and I still hit my Thumb/Finger with it. :facepalm:
If it does what you want it to and has a good warranty (min 7 years) then purchase it.

I went ahead with the EVGA 1000W G+. The Seasonic sold out on BB while I was debating. It should be here today. :clap:

Because of all the miners I recently sold 1200W PCP&C reviewed by Bobnova ... 10 years ago or something ... for $150 and it cost me $100 10 years ago ;) I still have 1200W Corsair HX that I found on sale for $110 about a year ago.

Because of all the miners I recently sold 1200W PCP&C reviewed by Bobnova ... 10 years ago or something ... for $150 and it cost me $100 10 years ago ;)
Turbo Cool 1200. I still have one. Still bench off it. More than 10 years old.

Back