• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question regarding high end CPU's and their sockets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom8872

Hi,

Just a quick question this one.

I learned recently after doing some research on prices and hardware that the LGA2011 socket processors are the best performance per cost. You can buy used, very cheap and quick processors on eBay, but have to fork out for the higher cost LGA2011 motherboard (and possibly higher cost ram). I am aware that there are a couple other sockets in high end, but I'm talking about buying the absolute best CPU per cost right now (which, I'm using used on ebay).

This, I see, is a small investment.

If you take a look at the high end cpu chart, https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html it pretty much establishes that if you want the high-end CPU performance, the LGA2011 socket is the only way to go. (again I'm aware there are a few other rare sockets).

I'm just here confirming my finding and making sure I haven't misinterpreted the data.

Thanks.

Excel database management, compression video, audio work, graphic work.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I was hoping for someone to clarify my original post - regarding sockets and the fact that the cheapest CPU's per cost are second hand on eBay using LGA2011 sockets.

Just wanted to make sure you had uses that would utilize the extra cores of a 2011 system.

I'd say that buying used 2011 equipment is definitely a good route for you.
They're still very solid performers and I don't know of a cheaper way to get a modern system with that kind of multi-threaded performance.

Are you going to be overclocking at all?

All depends what are the used parts prices but when I was switching X79 to X99 then I actually added only ~$100 to brand new setup as X79 parts were still expensive on auctions.
I guess you can find used 5820K and lower series X99 board ( which is still high end board as the are no low end X99 ). There are no bad X99 boards. Just better or worse for memory overclocking but all will still make 3000+. DDR4 are already cheap.
Other reason why I recommend it is that on many X79 boards there are issues with memory recognizing. I mean something like after some time board can't see full memory capacity.

Hi,

I don't know the difference between x99 and x79. Are they the same sockets but newer chips?

Also, I'm not too fussed about overclocking. I'd rather system stability and quietness than speed.

Thanks.

The sockets are similar but not the same. I picked up my HP mATX X79 board for $67 on eBay. Right now E5 2670 8 core/16 thread 2.6 GHz (3.3 GHz Turbo) CPUs are going for $69. X79 motherboards use standard DDR3. I ran one of those E5 2670s in my HP board just to test it out, but for my usage the E5 1620 4 core/8 thread 3.6 GHz CPU performs better. It is similar to the i7 3820 except it is PCI-e 3.0 vs. 2.0 for the i7.

The E5 2670 ran cool and quiet in my X79 board with a cheap Cooler Master T4 HS/Fan.

Back