• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excel Crusher - No Budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johntheman123

Hello,

I'm considering building a custom PC for both personal use, but also professional use. Like many of you I'm sure, I sort of have an obsession with having the latest and greatest, why is why I need your help to avoid making a big mistake.

Two things I spend a lot of time doing are (a) converting video files into different formats and (b) very intense excel work (heavy Macros, VBA, etc). My question:

I've read that for excel, its far better to have faster individual cores rather than more cores. Conversely, I've read that for video file converting, more cores typically means faster conversions. Looking at processors such as the 6700K, and the 5930K, which would you say would be a better bet for me both for what I'm doing, and also longevity? Additionally, if there's another processor you think I should consider, that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

I've been using various freeware applications I can find online (I do this for personal use). However, if there's an application that's optimized for newer processors and therefore more efficient, am definitely happy to hear reccomendations on programs to look into. I'm really just converting various formats into MP4.

Do you know how many cores you can utilize with the software you're using?

It has been a long time since I've worked with videos in anything other than Premiere.

I'm not sure - i will look into that. I'm actually more concerned about excel. Apparently excel can use all of my current 8 cores. While my computer (4900MQ, 32GB 12800 Ram, SSD 6GB/s) is definitely faster than the one at work, i'd assume that a desktop would be much faster

Well, the reason I ask specifically is because if you're not going to exceed eight threads then the 6700K will be faster.
If you can utilize twelve threads then the 5820K will be faster. No need to go 5930K.

i can't find out whether or not excel is able to use more than 8 threads. However, I can say that it's able to use all 8 cores of my current machine. Does that mean if I got a machine with 12 threads and was running excel along with a few other apps excel could have 8 cores allocated to it and 4 other cores could be running things like itunes, web browser, etc?

I do a lot of heavy Excel work and video conversion (using HandBrake).

Excel can use 100% of your cores if you are using the built-in Excel functions. The Excel functions are highly optimized.

If you are doing your own coding in Excel, it won't for your code, but it will for the Excel calls in your code. (I don't understand the need to do VBA coding in Excel...every time I think I have to go that route, I always find another way to do it without VBA code..and I've been a heavy user for 15+ years...my biggest spreadsheet is 80 MB!).

HandBrake takes everything I throw at it...and wants more! :D

Back