• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with new monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

I just got a 144hz monitor today. I replaced one of the two 60hz monitors I had before. I was playing CS GO on the new monitor getting over 150 frames but then my computer randomly just shut off. I turned my pc back on and fired up CS. I wanted to try a different resolution so I changed it to 1920x1080 (it was on 1024x720 or something before). I went in game and it felt slow and then I saw I was only getting 60 frames. Then I change it back to my old resolution and its stuck at 60 frames.

I went into windows display settings and for the refresh rates it lists 60hz, 59hz, and 50hz. And I don't know how to view these refresh rate settings for each monitor individually. Can someone help me get my 144hz monitor to display at 144hz?

I am using a DVI-D cable to connect the 144hz monitor.

I managed to figure out how to put it back on for 144 hz. But while in cs go for 15 minutes the pc just shut off again. Any ideas how to get it to not shut off?

Edit. One thing that happens is for a little while after the computer shuts off it cant be turned back on for about a minute. Edit 2: removed.

Edit: tried to use just 1 monitor at 144hz. Crashed again after about 20min of csgo.

Edit 3: I did dust out my case before hooking the monitor up. I wonder if this could have done anything.

Edit 4: it crashed on 120 hz in the same way.

Last edited:
Is there a particular advantage to setting the refresh rate that high on the monitor? I believe 60 hz is the standard.

I found out the fan blades on my PSU were not turning. To answer the poster who asked if there's advantage 144hz there is if you play computer games. For me personally it helps my aim in a game i play competitively.

Back