• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for 1440p monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

Now that I have a 7900xt GPU, I’m looking at moving from 1080p to 1440p. Since I have only had 1080p before, I never had to think about refresh rate. I knew 1080p 60 was a good monitor.

Looking at YouTube clips for 1440p performance of the 7900xt, it seems FPS goes from 100 to 190 in games (Cyberpunk was around 100 and I saw Forza Horizon 5 hitting 188 in DX11 and 182 in DX12). Would 144Hz be a good option for 1440p? I looked up average refresh rate for 1440p and I saw 144Hz. I know there are higher refresh rates, but I don’t want to get a monitor that I can’t get smooth gameplay on (like, say, 240Hz). I guess I could get a 165Hz monitor, if you guys think it would be good too.

Since I don’t play esports, I’m not looking for really high refresh rates I don’t think. And it looks like the 7900xt couldn’t hit really high refresh rates anyway at 1440p. I’ve also seen that esports are better at high refresh rate 1080p monitors rather than using a 1440p monitor.

What refresh rate should I be looking for? I’m also not sure on the size. What would be a good size for 1440p? 25 to 30 inches? Maybe 32?

I'd go 165hz as well. Love my 28" Acer Predator (its arms length away from my face).

if you're a really competitive gamer, 240/360hz 1080p is the way to go.... but if not a 28" 1440p/165 is where it's at.
:)

PS... if you buy a higher refresh rate... it won't diminish your experience, because of Adaptive Sync (aka Freesync for Radeon GPU's or Gsync for Geforce) because the monitor will automatically adjust the refresh rate to match the framerate. Well, as long as the framerate is above around 50 fps. below that some monitors won't adapt.

i've heard it said that you will notice a difference going from 60 Hz to 120, another difference going to 240, and another at 560. (assuming your GPU keeps up with those numbers.)

i guess it really depends on how long you plan to use the monitor:
~Only a few years / on a singe GPU? buy whatever the best your current GPU can handle;
~10 years or more / for future GPUs as well? then don't worry about the upper limit, because future GPUs in that time will be able to.

i mention 10 years because of how long i've been using mine: the Dell 30" 2560 x 1600 60 Hz monitor in my signature is at least 10 years old now, and still going strong, having been paired with GTX 480s SLI, GTX 670s in SLI, and RTX 2070 Supers in SLI, so it's possible. Though i am a little disappointed that they don't make 16:10 monitors anymore, i'm actually looking forward to the Samsung 57" dual UHD 32:9 ultrawide 240Hz monitor to pair with my next GPU.

There are well priced 32" 144/165hz 1440p monitors. Brands like MSI have often promo prices for their last gen series (sometimes half year old). Personally, I wouldn't get anything below 32" 16:9 right now and if it's 120, 144 or 165hz it doesn't matter so much unless you play some specific games that are scalling with FPS (in some games more FPS/hz = faster character animation).
It's hard to recommend any specific model as there are a lot of them and they're changing quite often (specs too).

I highly recommend checking hardware unboxed roundups of the 1440p monitors. They do a helluva job compiling the information. Either way, get something that is freesync/adaptive sync to take advantage of higher refresh rates without tearing

I tend to overthink things, and I'm not trying to overload you with information, all of the suggestions above are great, so if this is too much just ignore it. On the other hand, what good does having an amazing PC do if the display cannot utilize its capabilities?

One factor you may want to consider is pixel density. In other words, a 1440p monitor at 27" is going to have smaller pixels than a 1440p monitor at 34". You're also likely to sit a little further from a larger monitor, so giving you some room to work. You can use this chart below to compare:

Assuming your current 1080p is 24", it's got a density of 92 PPI. Finding your current size and resolution on the chart and asking yourself, when I increase resolution do I just want a bigger screen, or do I also want smaller pixels. Going up to 1440p and 32" will be similar to 1080p 24" at 93 PPI. Going 4K 32" or 34" or 1440p 27" will get you notably smaller pixels.

I mention 4k because your card will actually probably get you pretty good 4k performance (depending on the game, please look up specific benchmarks before spending money). It seems like you're gaming at 60hz now, and depending on your playstyle you might be perfectly happy in the 70-100 fps range.

In other words, of the three factors: pixel density, screen size and FPS, you can pick the two most important to you and go from there. Large screen and high FPS: 1440p 32" 165hz; large screen and high pixel density: 4k 34" 144hz; high pixel density and high FPS: 1440p 27" 165 or 240hz. Of course price is a factor as well, but I'm assuming your budget is reasonable as it hasn't been mentioned.

Nano IPS 240hz panels are really nice.
I went from a BenQ EX3203R (Curved and I do not like curved I found out). 32" 1440P 144hz VA
to a Alienware AW2721D - 27" 240hz Nano IPS -flat panel.
I love the Alienware it does have the Nvidia Gsync module but it still works flawlessly on Freesync and it does definitly have better latency (hard to explain your click to hit feels better for sure).
I have no experience with QD-OLED monitors but I heard they look and feel great but potential of burn-in ? "needs more research"
Going from a 32 to a 27 was a bit odd at first but I feel its better for some situations especially if you have a extendable arm you can just pull it a bit closer when playing FPS.
the 32 was nice for movies and maybe a bit more immersive for games like Elite Dangerous etc (Simulations).
The 240hz nano-ips is more buttery in FPS games though regardless and your new GPU should put you into the 200's in most games at 1440P so give it a thought as they have come down alot in price now since QD-OLED's released.

Back