• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving from AMD 955 to 4690K or FX-8350, advice on build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alkemyst

Registered
My full build is at http://www.30moons.com/pc_chiapet.php

I have been happy with the performance and don't do a ton of gaming, but I am getting 'cannot find BIOS' and other errors/problems that require me to unplug the PC to get it to turn back on.

I have decided the i5-4690K and not sure on the mother board. Here is what I have currently and plan on reusing everything, but the old motherboard and CPU. I will by the proper bracket for my TRUE and probably use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro this time. I would like to overclock if possible.

Here is the relevant parts of my current build, I have a rather large case as well:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE C3 (3200MHz) Deneb CACAC AC 0946EPDW @3800MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.5
CPU Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
CPU Grease/Compound: Shin Etsu MicroSi G-751
CPU Fan: Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15 120mm (Nidec D1225C12B5AP-53) (58.3 cfm / 28 dBA / 1850 rpm) x 2, Push/Pull
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C9D3/4GX (4GBx2) and G Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9-4GBRL (4GBx2); 16GB Total
Memory Speed: 1600MHz 11-11-11-28-39 2T (should be able to hit 9-9-9-2x but it's not running at that speed)
Memory Voltage: 1.5
Case: Addtronics 7896A, fan cutouts modded to venturi shape. Cut out middle divider in rear for Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme to vent properly.
Case Fans: 4 x NMB 80MM FBA08A12H1BX (39 CFM / 32 dBA / 2950 rpm) (3in/1out)
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W
Hard Drive 1: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS, 1TB, 32MB Cache at 7200RPM
Hard Drive 2: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721075KLA330, 750GB, 32MB Cache @ 7200RPM
Hard Drive 3: Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0
DVD±RW Manufacturer & Model: Pioneer DVR-216D with DVR-216L BIOS, 1.09 MCSE speedpatched firmware, 16x Max
DVD±RW Manufacturer & Model: Pioneer DVR-216D with DVR-216L BIOS, 1.09 MCSE speedpatched firmware, 16x Max
Video Card: XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB @ 900/1050MHz
Monitor: NEC LCD2490WUXi H-IPS LCD @ 1920x1200, calibrated via Eye-One Display LT/SpectraViewII
Wireless NIC: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260(7260HMWDTX1.R)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I am open to used gear/eBay. I am also open to considering the AMD FX-8350 and a nice motherboard...I was seeing unless I am running multi-GPU's the performance is about the same. Money is a bit tight now as a single wage earner, with a family of 6 (one infant right now).

Thanks
Å

Last edited:
go with the 4690K an asrock extreme 4 motherboard and a 240 gig or larger ssd and you should be set.

I will more than likely add an SSD this year. I am not familiar with ASROCK, they have a big catalog. What advantages does going to the OC or Fataility series give?

I have my own Intel 802.11ac card, would like more USB ports, the M.2 slots seem nice to have. As far as SATA, 3 HDD's and 2 optical are about what I usually run max. If I ever run SLI or CrossFire it will probably be just two cards.

Ease of overclocking is another priority.

It doesn't get any easier the up the multi and add voltage.

This is what I thought, but I keep reading how the OC Formula makes it easier? I am just not sure what all those extra features offer. It's great both the E6 and OC offer 12 phase power.

I just don't have experience with Asrock. I started with Gigabyte, had some issues with ASUS and went back to Gigabyte in my life. I haven't done a motherboard upgrade in 5 years.

it's really kind of hard to name a bad 1150 motherboard, so if you like gigabyte, get a gigabyte.
MR.Scott is right, it's just vcore and multi.

it's really kind of hard to name a bad 1150 motherboard, so if you like gigabyte, get a gigabyte.
MR.Scott is right, it's just vcore and multi.

Thanks again. Now I have to decide if I want to just go cheap and replace the motherboard then transfer my 3.8GHz 955 C3 to it and call it a day with an SSD added on, then upgrade to an 8350 (etc) as prices drop more or go for the full platform change.

Things are the tightest they have ever been, I support a family of 6 (new 13 month old addition :)) on one income.

I am still doing my research and since I do more productivity type stuff (although I do game at times), a E3-1231V3 or so and a cheaper H97 motherboard seems like a great choice. Plus I could sell my Thermalright TRUE for some money and maybe push Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD into the mi ($70 cheaper than the EVO 850 and close in performance).

well me i just built my gaming rig back in Oct. and i can run the latest games all the way maxed out on a 49" ips 4k monitor. i went with the asus crosshair v formula z mobo. and i went with the fx 9590 cpu. and my whole rig cost right around 800-900$ to build not including my gpu (zotac 980ti amp extreme) and my ssd (2tb samsung 850 evo). if i were you i would go with an amd build. now im not saying that because im an amd fanboy. all i ever owned before this rig was intel. but you say you are on a budget correct well i found that amd is a whole lot cheaper. and if you go with a fx series cpu you will be getting the same exact with the 8 cores. and you said something about water cooling right well if you do have some sort of water cooling then i would go with the fx 9xxx series.
I hope i was helpful
RUBEN

My only peeve with gigabyte is they seem to frequently have bios issues.

well me i just built my gaming rig back in Oct. and i can run the latest games all the way maxed out on a 49" ips 4k monitor. i went with the asus crosshair v formula z mobo. and i went with the fx 9590 cpu. and my whole rig cost right around 800-900$ to build not including my gpu (zotac 980ti amp extreme) and my ssd (2tb samsung 850 evo). if i were you i would go with an amd build. now im not saying that because im an amd fanboy. all i ever owned before this rig was intel. but you say you are on a budget correct well i found that amd is a whole lot cheaper. and if you go with a fx series cpu you will be getting the same exact with the 8 cores. and you said something about water cooling right well if you do have some sort of water cooling then i would go with the fx 9xxx series.
I hope i was helpful
RUBEN

Definitely no water cooling at this time and I am trying to bring down temps actually so that 9590 (which is an interesting chip) would be too much heat. I have been with AMD a long time even back in the 386/486 days :), but I am not really a fan boy. Intel has just been a worse bang for buck at the time.

The Xeon option is looking interesting to me sort of like the best of both sides (high cores/threading and performance), but not really a master at either. I don't need the fastest rig anymore, I just want something that runs cool and quiet and does what I need it to.

Thanks for the reply...I am still debating.

- - - Updated - - -

My only peeve with gigabyte is they seem to frequently have bios issues.

I have never had a Gigabyte BIOS problem. However; I avoid beta BIOS's. The only BIOS issue I had was a long time ago on an ASUS. I wasn't compatible with my hardware (can't remember what device, may have been my SCSI setup or my PCMCIA dock).

Back