• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boxed GTA V: no activation code included in box?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

All I got in my boxed GTA V was the 7 DVD's and the case. I'm guessing there must have been some sort of activation code card enclosed because the game installer is prompting me for an activation code I don't have. Thanks Amazon for selling me a game I can't use!

there should be a second little box, folder like thingy, a sticker holds it closed, looks like more marketing, the code is on the back of that.

there should be a second little box, folder like thingy, a sticker holds it closed, looks like more marketing, the code is on the back of that.

There was nothing like that in my box. Weird thing is, the box was still shrink-wrapped.

7 DVD's......:rofl:

Anyway, reach out to Amazon and explain the situation.

The installation process reminded me of the days of floppy disks -- DOOM came on something like TEN 3.5" floppy disks.

Why does GTA V need 7 DVD's? Why does it require 65 GiB of disk space? I'd better not be seeing any low-res textures in this game.

On the flip side, I appreciated not having my internet connection tied up for 24 hours.

Wow... how slow is your connection? With 75Mb/s down (9-11MB/s) it took less than 2 hours? You also say 'tied up' like you can't do anything else in the meantime. Sure things may be slower, but, it's plenty usable for most things. I even was streaming Netflix when DL from Origin.

I haven't installed a game of a disk in YEARS!

better bend over and grab your shins!!!! the first update is 60 gigs!!!!!!!

no it's not 115 gig, it's a 60 gig download, like they replace the WHOLE game!!!!!!
the game folder remains about 60 gigs when done.
I'll go get a snip from that rig.

that drive only has my gta5 install and after the giant update it's still in the 60 gig range, that's without any mods.
my heavily modded install makes this one look tiny............

Attachments

• gta 5.JPG
    gta 5.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Wow.. differential update please!

Yeah it was a huge deal when that first launched. Same with Mortal Kombat as they were pushing dozens of gigs over the wire multiple times for the patches. People were freaking out that had bandwidth limitations.

There was nothing like that in my box. Weird thing is, the box was still shrink-wrapped.

Magellan,

Where did you get your GTA program? I ask because it's not unheard of to have a nicely shrink-wrapped counterfeit version that would fool 98% of buyers.

Amazon has a very very large portion of its sales through third parties.

Amazon made good on replacing the game. I got a replacement boxed game set that has the black envelope w/the key in it.
The 60 GiB "update" has already started. What was the point of having 7 DVD's w/the game if I basically have to dl the whole thing anyway?
Do console users have to put up w/this kinda crap?

Yes.

That's why you may as well only use the key and it will download the latest version of the game from steam the first time.

Amazon made good on replacing the game. I got a replacement boxed game set that has the black envelope w/the key in it.
The 60 GiB "update" has already started. What was the point of having 7 DVD's w/the game if I basically have to dl the whole thing anyway?
Do console users have to put up w/this kinda crap?
in one day? Impressed...

Back