• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Graphics Driver Updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crimson Edition 16.5.2 Hotfix

Release Date: 5/11/2016

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2

Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD's revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience. Every Radeon Software release strives to deliver new features, better performance and stability improvements.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2 Highlights

Support for:
Doom™

New AMD Crossfire profile available for:
Battleborn™

Fixed Issues

**Radeon Settings may sometimes suggest upgrading to an older driver revision when using the new driver notification feature.
**Frame Rate Target Control may not keep the users previous settings when disabled.
**The option to enable/disable AMD Crossfire™ technology logo may be missing on some system configurations from the" Gaming, Global Options" tab in Radeon Settings.
**Radeon Settings game manager does not display icons for Origin Games.
**Radeon Settings launch with Eyefinity profiles may sometimes not take effect after system has been rebooted for profiled games.
**Some characters or game areas are rendered very dark in Hitman™ using AMD Crossfire technology mode.
**Restore factory defaults may occasionally not work for the "Display" tab in Radeon Settings.
**The power efficiency toggle in Radeon Settings may be available to some unsupported system configurations.
**The text in Radeon Settings drop down menus may sometimes get cut off when in windowed mode with some Windows DPI scaling settings.
**League of Legends users may experience minor graphical corruption when using AMD Crossfire technology mode.
**Star Wars™: Battlefront users may see corrupted ground textures in the Survival of Hoth mission.

Known Issues

**A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
**Users in Quad AMD Crossfire technology configurations may be unable to re-enable AMD Crossfire mode when using the global AMD Crossfire option in the "Gaming" tab and toggling it from on to off.
**The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt inventory and character pages may exhibit flickering in AMD Crossfire technology mode.
**Call of Duty™: Advanced Warfare may exhibit stuttering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology and AMD Crossfire technology in conjunction.
**Installing Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2 multiple times on the same machine after rebooting may cause the installer to hang.
**The AMD Crossfire mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
**Radeon Settings Additional Settings page may not be available when upgrading to Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2 from the current windows update driver. As a work around please clean uninstall all current Radeon Software when upgrading if your system exhibits this issue.
**Some textures may exhibit flickering in Fallout™ 4 when using AMD Crossfire technology.
**Forza Motorsport 6: Apex™ may exhibit brightness flickering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology.
**Frame Rate Target Control gaming profiles may fail to enable for some games.

Release Notes & Download Links etc...

I am getting some flickering issues every so often, mainly happens when playing video

I am getting some flickering issues every so often, mainly happens when playing video

If you have Dell Display Manager installed, make sure it is in manual mode and uncheck the "PowerNap options" box. Fixed a lot of issues I was having with my screens flickering or blacking out in the middle of use.

I just downgraded back to 16.5.1 and the issues went away, couldnt even launch games
would cause the screen to go into "out of sync" mode

Ive been using the Catalyst and Crimson drivers for a couple years and I they have not given me much guff. Just picked up an Asus Strix R9 390 this afternoon took out my HIS R9 290 and threw in the 390 and it's working great already beat my 290 in Firestrike by a decent margin. Didn't even touch the drivers. Now about that 290 and 390 CF........Insight would be much appreciated thanks =)

Now about that 290 and 390 CF........Insight would be much appreciated thanks =)

I asked the same thing a few months back, can't be done with different gen GPUs I was told. I figure it must be true since prior to R9 300 series the CF required a bridge. I now have two 390's and there is no bridge needed.

-Seabee

Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 Hotfix

Release Date: 5/16/2016

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 Release Notes

Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD's revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience. Every Radeon Software release strives to deliver new features, better performance and stability improvements.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 Highlights

Performance increase by up to 35% on AMD Radeon R9 390 series products in Doom™ versus Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2(1)

Known Issues

**A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
**Users in Quad AMD Crossfire technology configurations may be unable to re-enable AMD Crossfire mode when using the global AMD Crossfire option in the "Gaming" tab and toggling it from on to off.
**The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt inventory and character pages may exhibit flickering in AMD Crossfire technology mode.
**Call of Duty™: Advanced Warfare may exhibit stuttering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology and AMD Crossfire technology in conjunction.
**Installing Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 multiple times on the same machine after rebooting may cause the installer to hang.
**The AMD Crossfire mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
**Radeon Settings Additional Settings page may not be available when upgrading to Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 from the current windows update driver. As a work around please clean uninstall all current Radeon Software when upgrading if your system exhibits this issue.
**Some textures may exhibit flickering in Fallout™ 4 when using AMD Crossfire technology.
**Forza Motorsport 6: Apex™ may exhibit brightness flickering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology.

Recently sold my 980Ti before the prices plunged on eBay and went back to an R9 380X for the time being. Games and videos run fine with the 380X, but I get some flickering in Firefox reading email (Windows 10 OS). Kind of annoying and loading a few of the recent updates/hot fixes did nothing to help. Before the 980Ti I had a Sapphire Tri-X Fury and did not have the flickering, but did have some DisplayPort issues with it. The last AMD card I had zero issues with was my MSI dual-fan 290X, on the other hand I've had no issues with any of my recent Nvidia cards (960, 980, 980Ti). I've mostly been using AMD GPUs for the past 5 or 6 years (11 out of 15 cards) but really wish they could do a better job with the stupid drivers.

Crimson Edition 16.5.3 Hotfix

Release Date: 5/23/2016

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.3 Release Notes

​​​Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD's revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience. Every Radeon Software release strives to deliver new features, better performance and stability improvements.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.3 Highlights

Support for:
Total War: Warhammer™
Overwatch™
Dota™2 (with Vulkan™ API)

Total War: Warhammer™
Overwatch™

Fixed Issues

**Fallout 4™ may experience minor stuttering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode
**Radeon Settings may be removed from the system if the Radeon Software installer is launched while Radeon Settings is open.
**Radeon Settings "Additional Settings" option may intermittently fail to launch.
**Some game textures in The Division™ exhibit flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode.
**Intermittent stability issues with Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) using AMD XConnect™ Technology are no longer observed.
**Safe unplugging for AMD XConnect™ Technology no longer results in a random BSOD.

Known Issues

**Total War: Warhammer™ may experience stuttering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode if the AMD Gaming Evolved App or Plays.Tv is running in the background. A workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved and Plays.Tv applications.
**The Division™ may hang when using Quad AMD Crossfire™ technology. As a workaround users are recommended to disable AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Heroes of the Storm™ may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**The AMD Crossfire™ technology mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
**Catalyst Install Manager unable to detect the display driver while​ uninstallation.

I noticed after installing these drivers I had a small glitch. I went to play Diablo 3 and it seemed sluggish. I popped open MSI AB and the memory clocks were stuck at 150 mHz. I rebooted thinking it was just something odd in the new driver. Tried again, the same thing happened. I opened MSI AB up again and adjusted the clocks a bit and all of a sudden the memory clocks started going up as they should. I then reloaded my MSI profile and all seems to be well. And of course i rebooted and no more issues with the memory clocks. Otherwise the driver is stable and speedy. At least so far. :D ymmv

Z

Update: This driver seems to have a problem with Chrome's hardware acceleration. When playing a streaming video the memory clocks would lock at 150mhz and i would have to fool with the settings, as mentioned above, to get it working properly. The solution to this was to roll back to 16.3.2 or disable hardware acceleration in Chrome. I hope this bug doesnt get carried over to the final version. ymmv

Last edited:
Crimson Edition 16.6.1 Hotfix

Release Date: 6/6/2016

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6.1 Release Notes

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6.1 Highlights

Support for:
Mirror's Edge Catalyst™
Paragon™

Dark Souls III™

Fixed Issues

**Display flickering or corruption may be experienced when playing videos in a web browser.
**DiRT Rally™ may experience poor performance on some tracks with rainy/night scenes.
**The HDMI® display scaling options in Radeon Settings may be missing when the display is set to an interlaced resolution.
**The AMD Crossfire™ technology mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
**Fallout™ 4 may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode for some game textures.
**Flickering on Oculus Rift™ headsets may be experienced when multiple displays are connected with differing resolutions.
**Radeon Settings additional settings page may fail to open after performing a Windows Update and then installing the latest Radeon Software Crimson Edition.

Known Issues

**Battlefield™ 4 may experience crashes when using Mantle. As a work around users are suggested to switch to DirectX®11.
**Doom™ some game levels may experience shimmering textures.
**The Division™ may hang when using Quad AMD Crossfire™ technology. As a workaround users are recommended to disable AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Radeon Settings gaming profile options for Uplay applications may not take effect.
**On some AMD XConnect™ technology external GPU enclosures, a TDR may be observed when the dGPU is set to primary display and the laptop display is set to extended display with video playback.

How long ago was it that AMD announced there would only be monthly-or less-driver updates? I remember it at my advanced age so it couldn't have been too far back.

Well, thank God I still have my flickering!

And I still get crashes. Looks like we lucked out.

Since it's been six months now, it'd be nice to see another update on the Linux side...

I am interested in the R480 but I really wish AMD would test there drivers out thoroughly instead of the constant hotfix releases if they want to release the 480 as a main stream mid card they are going to have to make there drivers a lot more better

Back