• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus R3E - What To Expect??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would expect around 220-230 bclk. when you drop to slow mode I would guess 240

Well I just got done benching the i7 920 and I'm still stuck @ 215 bclk. I was reading a article over at the bot where the OP stated that the OCing capabilities of the bclk where directly tided to the quality of the CPU.

What settings do I need to add more volts to???? Another odd thing... After 4 hours of continuiosly playing with settings and such, I started dropping memory slots. At the end (8hours later) I had 1 memory slot still working.

The guide I linked earlier has the voltages you need to adjust. I don't recall off hand.

Did you try slow mode, etc? I know there was a lof advice in the thread already... just making sure you have used it so we don't repeat ourselves, etc. :)

The guide I linked earlier has the voltages you need to adjust. I don't recall off hand.

Linked guide in which post????

Did you try slow mode, etc? I know there was a lof advice in the thread already... just making sure you have used it so we don't repeat ourselves, etc. :)

I tried a lot of the advice that was given. I increased my PCIe to 115 anything higher and the board would not boot. I increased the QPI voltage to 1.65, board refused to post. I also enabled slow mode for QPI, it was the only one that had it. I got the FSB to 217 before the board became unstable, it was like I had forgotten a setting. If that makes sense.

I thought it was in here or one of your others threads...look! Ther eis only 25 posts in here, LOL!!

In the Intel section, the ultimate intel sticky, there is an article "How to overclock your I3. i5, i7". THis tells you exactly how to isolate the BCLK and find its limit (among other things).

But MM, you need to show us where you are at/what you did otherwise we spin our tires trying to help. Post up CPUz screenshots of the first tab, memory and spd tabs of the hardware you are using.

EDIT: Sorry, it was in another thread, but, know your forum and where to find things!!! :)

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

Last edited:
Good point E_D, if you look at some of the threads I started in here MM you'll see what he means. Try to give as much info as possible and it's a lot easier to see a problem. OC 101 only change one thing at a time words to live by. Well at least with something you're not familiar with.

I'll be able to pin it down more after the board dries out. I was changing this and that trying to find the component that would unlock the FSB. I stopped and dialed in settings that I knew worked before I ran out of Dice.

I was SO DESPERATE to break the 215 barrier..... If you look closely in this pic, I have a cup of DICE sitting on the North Bridge :)

Pic #5.jpg

SHEEET NO :(
In my manual, it shows this H/S as the MAIN cooler for the X58 chipset

Don't laugh, I ran a tinfoil pot on the NB on the EP-45

I have a chance to pick up an i7 980x ES chip for my R3E. I have never played with an ES before. Is it worth it to snag at $50 cheaper than a regular i7 980x

Depends on what it can do...

That said, you start submitting ES entries, they may put you in the elite category.

That said, you start submitting ES entries, they may put you in the elite category.

While true, I think that is generally geared towards people with current generation engineering samples, not ones from 7 years+ ago

I'm hoping to get bumped up from Apprentice from using LN2 at the party :)

I know that on the Intel side, it's an old has been (i7 980x). Looking at the BOT and submissions from the i7 980x 6c/12t and the FX-8350 4c/8t (<some info programs are listing it this way), the i7 980x beats the FX in Fire Strike, Ect, Ect. I read on here that AMD MIGHT be releasing their new GPU at the end of June. When it is in my hand then they did not do a paper launch :)
You guys have told me repeatedly that if I want a good score in 3D benches then run your GPU's with your best processor (Intel). For the up coming party I have the 980x and the 8350/8370 - x6 1100t and x4 955.
I was looking at pairing my GPU's with the 980x setup....

Yes, in modern 3D (think 3dMark 06 on forward), the amount of cores play a big role in most benchmarks due to the Physics tests.

While true, I think that is generally geared towards people with current generation engineering samples, not ones from 7 years+ ago
Ahh, that is a good point. Wow is that CPU 'old'... LOL!

Looking at the bot I think that Janus is correct. The only real mention of ES is"you get (engineering grade) hardware for alpha/beta testing overclocking capabilities" and this doesn't really fall into that category

You’re Elite If …

you get a personalized version of overclocking software (eg. Afterburner Extreme) on a regular basis
you get (engineering grade) hardware for alpha/beta testing overclocking capabilities
can request motherboard bios versions with special overclocking features
you have access to special publicly unavailable XOC or coldslow VGA bioses
you receive hardware for the sole purpose of overclocking
you get invited to private overclocking events organized/sponsored by industry
You’re Not Elite If …

you receive hardware for reviews, which you afterwards use for your overclocking
your friend gives you a version of afterburner extreme
you find coldslow bioses on the internet and use them
you win hardware in an overclocking competition
you qualify for an overclocking competition via an open or public qualifier

Yes, in modern 3D (think 3dMark 06 on forward), the amount of cores play a big role in most benchmarks due to the Physics tests.

Ahh, that is a good point. Wow is that CPU 'old'... LOL!

Looks like I was off by a year, Q1 2010 for launch of 980x. wow!

Back