• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with setting up GPU folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJ-5

I haven't folded for quite a number of years but would like to fold again for Team 32 on my only remaining computer and older GTX 295. I found some ancient directions in the sticky but surely something newer has come along since then or not...I just need to know so I don't waist my time with the old directions just to find out they won't work with the newer clients. The new FAH home page has limited options and I can't find a link to the more advanced project downloads. Any help would be appreciated on directions for optimizing the GTX 295 for 2 clients and then configuring them.

Sorry, Windows...It has been a few years. Windows 7 64 bit until I'm forced to use Win 10 or someone tells me it folds faster.

screw winten, corrupts itself even when turned off.
with this card chuck it in, pick an early release driver for that card, set up your ID and team, let it rip at stock and report back.

The new install of FAH is pretty much hands-off. When you install it, you will enter in your user name, team number and passkey. If you do not have a passkey, get one from Stanford. It will give you a boost in points once you reach 10 work units.

I have switched half of my farm to windows 10. for my main rig, I like windows 10. I work IT and my company still uses windows 7. They are both close enough alike that I do not have any issues going from one to the other.

When I installed FAH last night and the cpu client started running I saw the 2 gpu slots in the web control window, but since they were at 0% I thought there was more configuring to do. Now that I've found the advanced control page I see the 2 gpu slots. Under both gpu slots it says ready but the work queues it says download 0% and has for the last 24 hours.
Here is a portion of the log:

Empty work server assignment
01:25:02:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.204:80':

Is there something I need to do either to my computer or video card so the server will assign me a work unit?

Gave up on Win 7. Last 2 updates caused IE to not work and Windows unexpectedly closed down on me. I don't know if it's a hardware problem or Windows problem but I just changed to new HD and Win 10. GPU client still not working.

Work is very very limited for anything pre GTX4xx. My recommendation would be to pick up something like a GTX750 ti for as cheap as you can and fold on that, power draw is way less than the 295 and ppd is pretty good for a gpu of its size

Ok, I understand now. Thank you for the information. All good advice. I'm not particularly technical and was just figuring I did something wrong.

I figured out how to add the settings provided by HayesK, thank you. Once restarted I got two wu. Thought at first I really made a big mistake folding on gtx 295 because the time to finish for each wu was estimated at over 39 days. This morning, however, time was down to less than 12 hours...feeling a lot better now.

when the client downloads and starts a work unit, it has to run a while for it to figure how long it's going to take to finish so showing a few days for eta at first is normal.
I have retired all my ati cards so any info on ati from me is quite dated.

Back