• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long ago was folding with a GPU new?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MisterEd

I just started folding here for Team #32 a week ago. However, many years ago I folded for another team. When I started folding for the other team the standard folding client only used the CPU for folding. I download and used a beta folding client that allowed the GPU to be used for folding also. They even gave bonus credit for people that used their GPU for folding. Does anyone remember how ago that was?

BTW, based upon how many points I earned back then it looks like in one or two days I can now earn as many points as I did back then in one year.

Oh boy.... I think mid 2000s was when they first released it (GPU client). But I don't recall when the bonus structure came in, but do remember it was really popular around 2010+.

It was just before 2007 so probably 2006. It was an AMD GPU that came first. I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on the AMD. STALKER came out in March 07. So the AMD was before that.

Nvidia came later maybe 08.

Yup, I was folding beta WUs with my X1900XT & X1900Master around 06-07. I read some people were folding with X800 & X850 cards too, But don't remember if I folded with my X850 Pro or not.

It was just before 2007 so probably 2006. It was an AMD GPU that came first. I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on the AMD. STALKER came out in March 07. So the AMD was before that.

Nvidia came later maybe 08.
The only GPUs I had in that time frame were these:
  • NVIDIA GeForce 4 ti4600 11/2002
  • NVIDIA GeForce 5 FX5900 02/2004
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 08/2009
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 03/2012
I suspect I started folding with either the NVIDIA GTS 250 or GTX 560 cards.

I built my 880GA-UD3H Phenom II 1090T PC in 2011 I had and still use a GTS 450 on it, I did not fold with it till V7 of the folding client came out.

Back