• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with a new board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

actionpie42

Registered
Hello Everyone

I'm in the market for a new motherboard that's actually not centered around gaming so graphics aren't at the top of the list. I'll be mixing lots of tracks and using a lot of cpu monitoring my work. I will be overclocking the computer as in the past and will need enough wattage for that. I'm using an amd 970 black edition and I'd like to move to ddr3 ram. (Msi 785gt-e63 finally gave out which of course is ddr2)

an hdmi output would be nice but its not a necessity. I'd just like something that's going to stay stable and preform fast. Most of all something that's not going to burn up in a year like my old board.

Thanks for any help everyone.

Same processor housed in the 785gt-e63. Most people who had that board had their mosfets fail. That's what I recall the common issue being with that board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=am3_motherboard-_-13-128-651R-_-Product

heck of a bargain if youre ok with open box (should be fine, can return if not)

Bob I'd be concerned about that board for a 970BE. Before I sold my 955BE, I got the same board from microcenter, which would only overclock core 0 via multiplier. There may be unlisted compatibility issues with that board. Honestly, I'd recommend an Asus M5A99X Pro, as a cheap and solid board for a Phenom.

Hello Everyone

I'm in the market for a new motherboard that's actually not centered around gaming so graphics aren't at the top of the list. I'll be mixing lots of tracks and using a lot of cpu monitoring my work. I will be overclocking the computer as in the past and will need enough wattage for that. I'm using an amd 970 black edition and I'd like to move to ddr3 ram. (Msi 785gt-e63 finally gave out which of course is ddr2)

an hdmi output would be nice but its not a necessity. I'd just like something that's going to stay stable and preform fast. Most of all something that's not going to burn up in a year like my old board.

Thanks for any help everyone.

Welcome to OCF actionpie42,
I' assuming from your posts that you were using the on-board video from the motherboard. For the most part there aren't many boards these days that offer that feature and not really any I would recommend. This is likely your best bet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131942
The board doesn't have any heatsinks on the VRM so I would at least put a fan on it to aid in cooling. The PII 970 isn't an FX but will still pull a lot of power. If you go with a "better" board then you will need to get a video card as well.

Yes I was. I used my large TV as the main and a standard flat screen monitor for accesories. the computer will also be used for watching some movies and other normal tasks. does this board do ok overclocking via fsb?

I've read some of the reviews on that board and I think it's worth sacrificing the hdmi out for a better quality board. Seems some people have trouble with the processors power supply cooling.

I'm updating my post since I think I've compiled a list of parts for my new build. does anyone know ok any compatibility issues I may have?

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX R2.0
Graphics: MSI GeForce730
RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro (2133)
Processor: AMD970BE

I'll also be using a 600w PSU.

Shouldn't have any. Check the ram compatibility on ASUS's site for that mobo. Also, take the ram compatibility for granted, they never update those :p

Be aware that you will get no where near ddr3-2133 most likely. The Phenom II's officially support DDR3-1600 in some cases. But it never hurts to set the ram higher and run some tests :)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro (2133)

The PII 970 won't run ram at this speed. Unless you're buying it to "futureproof" the max speed for the 970 is going to be 16-1800 MHz. It oficially only supports 1333 IIRC. I would also get G.Skill they tend to have better compatibility all around. Something like this you will still likely need to downclock them to around 1600 but you'll see later. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455 You mention FSB clocking is that CPU not unlocked?

I was considering that one day I may retire the 970 for a more powerful processor. But I'm in no rush to do that. I did think the ram I was looking at was a bit expensive but if I did upgrade I'd hate to have a bottle neck. I also considered if I clock the ram down over all I can overclock it's timings perhaps. Thanks for taking a look at that. I'll be sure to look at Asus to see if it's compatible.

It is unlocked but I've developed a personal preference to overclocking using the fsb and multiplier. I can always tell the difference when the fsb is up a little bit. It helps with tracks I'm previewing never having to lag.

Last edited:
I was considering that one day I may retire the 970 for a more powerful processor. But I'm in no rush to do that. I did think the ram I was looking at was a bit expensive but if I did upgrade I'd hate to have a bottle neck. I also considered if I clock the ram down over all I can overclock it's timings perhaps. Thanks for taking a look at that. I'll be sure to look at Asus to see if it's compatible.

It is unlocked but I've developed a personal preference to overclocking using the fsb and multiplier. I can always tell the difference when the fsb is up a little bit. It helps with tracks I'm previewing never having to lag.

Something to consider is that Zen (next AMD gen) should support DDR4. The Phenom CPUs are still quite strong in comparison to the FX CPUs. FX tends to be a side-grade depending on your usage. I would go for cheaper RAM, such as a set of DDR3-1600.

I would defiantly consider it. I looked at the cheaper ram and I could save some money but it seemed like the difference was only 10 to 12 dollars. I actually had selected cheaper ram bUT saw I could get free shipping with my order if I spent like 5 more. I used to be deep into overclocking about 5 years ago and I'm finding a few things have changed. Mostly for the better.

Most of the things I'll be doing range from the simple tasks of a home computer to labor intensive computing while I'm editing multiple instrument tracks in high bit rate. Probably a little bit of video editing too but nothing major.

If you are happy with CPU performance, there is more threads on FX, but the single thread performance is not as strong. I'd wait till Zen for a new CPU. For the ram, just expect to be limited to DDR3-1600.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but even if I was running my ram at higher speed wouldn't I still be limited by my HT? Just curious and trying to be sure I would have my facts straight.

Back