• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

don256us

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm in for the long hall. Been folding for more than 14 years in total. You'll always have an opportunity to knock me down. I will not be back up to my 1.6 million with the remaining gear that I have on hand. I would be happy with anything over 1 million through the summer. 2 million ppd is my goal and has been my goal for over a year now. I have yet to reach it in any meaningful way.

Basic PC repair is what I do for a living, general construction is what I do for a hobby.

Well I hope to be in it for the long haul as well, but my track record isn't all that great so we'll have to see. I've been in the folding scene for ~6 years but haven't been folding for the past 3 or 4. :( All that said, we just built and moved into our "long term" house so we're (hopefully) done with major changes for the foreseeable future. At least for my sanity's sake. $$$, however, is another topic entirely!!!

...and I see the gap has dropped to 4.7 months. /sad panda. I'm almost ready to bring on a 1P CPU folder, but I'm afraid it won't help much, even if it was a 4P folder. *shakes fist at Vijay Pande*. Now if you want me to store some of those idle video cards you got there, just let me know. Climate controlled self storage, free of charge. I'll even cover shipping. :p

Side-note, I ordered some R8 insulated flex duct and it should arrive late next week. I might re-arrange the AC location at that time as well, as it's eating up too much space.

I guess the next big item will be Pascal, so the next three to four weeks will be interesting. Can't wait to see real world PPD numbers! :D :D :D

Unfortunately for you, I just put in another card and I'm waiting to see what that will do for me. Assuming that it will all work right, that will be 6 full time folders and 1 part time folding cards.

I can't send you any of my cards because if they work, I will put them baqck into production. If they don't work, you don't want them either. My problem is that more and more don't work and they are bringing down the ones that do work as I tryu to sort them out.

R-8 flex duct will help to keep your cool air cool. That was a good find. Don't forget to insulat as high up on the solid duct as you can. Idealy, you'll insulate it all. I'm looking forward to your charge and bracing myself for it when it happens.

The 1P will be a nice way to "test the waters" in your folding space. Give you an chance to see where it works out well and where you need additional attention. Taken a break or not, we are happy to have you here now. Fold on!

Crash and Burn.

I had four cards working in my "workstation" rig. Then I added a 5th card and CPU folding and haven't earned a point since. I took out the 5th card and turned off CPU folding but no love for me. I'll have to take another run at it over the course of the week.

OH NO!! :( :( :(

:chair:

That's bitter-sweet...while I love the (temporary) relieve of your oncoming approach, I really hate to hear about the continued farm issues.

Do you think it's software related or something with the hardware?

Nearly all of my issues have been hardware. I bought a bunch of ex-mining cards from fleaBay that all were only used for "2 months". I knew when I bought them that they all probably had more use. The cards that I bought from the forums are still going strong.

One of my other rigs that hosts three cards is having a software issue but I have yet to work on it. I will.

from reading don, what you need are a few water blocks and a pair of pumps, you seem to wear out a few fans........

from reading don, what you need are a few water blocks and a pair of pumps, you seem to wear out a few fans........

In my experience, that is primarily a 7970 issue and secondarily a 280X issue. They died much faster than any other video card fan I've run across.

I would have thought it would be the 290 fans that died most often, man do those fans get a workout!!!!!!!!

Fans have been a huge problem for me. Some cards just keep going and going. Others, I can't keep a spinning fan. I have a 7970 that I know had light use die just recently and the other two that I know had been used and abused are still going strong.

I'll be doing something different going forward. My current frustration is that I had my main folding rig going and earning good points and now it won't stay running. Everything is stock and otherwise looking good.

...side-note, got my 1P folder going. HA! It wasn't even worth my time. Hardly a blip in PPD (in comparison to GPU folding). Not sure what I was thinking. Or drinking. ;)

That said, my PPD won't really amount to much until the GTX 1070/1080 PPD numbers are confirmed by the community, so that I can make a purchasing decision (soon).
So you've got plenty of time to work out your hardware issues, I'm basically idle for the next ~30 days.

Same here. There will be no real movement until the next gen of Nvidia comes out. I don't think that I will be buying the next gen however. I'm looking at the 980 Ti when/if they knock the price down enough. I'm looking to get new cards instead of used with as long of a warrenty as I can afford. I'm not looking to water cool. I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money for cooling.

Perhaps not this weekend but maybe next I'll be looking at getting that "workstation" rig back up. I need to step back from it before I violently try to "fix" it.

I sorted out some of my problem. One of my "go to" cards has failed in a new way. Once it gets GPU load, the fan goes to 100% and the temps rise and rise until it shuts down the entire machine. I've never seen anything like it. The fan works great, it is not plugged up and has plenty of cool air so.... Another card shows up in Windows as "standard VGA" but FAH sees it as the 7970 that it really is. Unfortunately, that card brings the entire machine to a crawl when it is hooked up. E.G. Two 7970's are only earning 35k but if I take out the bad card, one 7970 earns 140k. I have two cards in the machine now with three more yet to test. My stock is failing fast.

What you described is what is happening to my 2nd 7970 and that is why I don't have it installed. Not worth my effort to mess with it. It is weird that your 2nd card brings the points down. Are they trying to run in crossfire mode? I really hate the new AMD catalyst. It is so confusing to me.

unrelated to topic, but I just ordered an A10-7860k cpu to replace the 860k I have now. My folding was much more stable when I was running the 6400k since it had an integrated gpu.

My folding was much more stable when I was running the 6400k since it had an integrated gpu.
N00b question here. Was the integrated GPU handling the OS GUI and thus allowing the dedicated GPU(s) to run FAH without interruption?
In other words, is it better to use a CPU with an integrated GPU for a folding rig?

Yes! For me at least. The overclocking on my 7970 was much more stable when using the dual core 6400k with igpu and having my monitor connected directly to the motherboard. It seems to be much more stable than trying to browse with the monitor connected to the GPU that is doing work, like I have now. When doing heavy browsing, my GPU clocks will drop from 1100 mhz down to 900 mhz. That is a HUGE ppd loss. It would not have done that with the 6400k. For this reason, the APUs from AMD are are really good setup for smaller folding rigs. The iGPU on the 7860k looks to be powerful enough for ALL my daily tasks, even 4k video.
Intel has a great iGPU in broadwell, but you will pay a mint.

Data center update: Well I'm definitely not a happy camper. It hasn't even hit 90 outside and the cooling is having a hard time. Thankfully it's not the AC unit, it's something with the insulation. Something isn't right when it's 82 outside and 80 inside of a foam sealed room with an 11k BTU AC unit. And that's with no GPUs!!!

My infrared heat gun shows the foam "walls" are 80-85 so I'm thinking it's not thick enough or not sealed properly, but I'm not a handyman/builder type so I really have no idea. But I do know it's not working properly.

Anyway until I get this issue resolved I can't put a heavy thermal in that room, or even a light load for that matter. Really irritates the &%!# out of me!!!!

We should invent a gizmo that vents the heat from our folding machines into our hot water heaters!

:D

Data center update: Well I'm definitely not a happy camper. It hasn't even hit 90 outside and the cooling is having a hard time. Thankfully it's not the AC unit, it's something with the insulation. Something isn't right when it's 82 outside and 80 inside of a foam sealed room with an 11k BTU AC unit. And that's with no GPUs!!!

My infrared heat gun shows the foam "walls" are 80-85 so I'm thinking it's not thick enough or not sealed properly, but I'm not a handyman/builder type so I really have no idea. But I do know it's not working properly.

Anyway until I get this issue resolved I can't put a heavy thermal in that room, or even a light load for that matter. Really irritates the &%!# out of me!!!!

It depends on the product that they used. 2lb, 8 lb? Open cell? The color tells me that it is probably 2 lb foam. If it is open cell, then it shrinks as it sets and creates air gaps that you don't want.

I have to run, but I can post more detailed info later on to help you troubleshoot.

Back