• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build Suggestion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tvo258789

Hello, I'm new to this forum and building PC/PC parts in general. I managed to save up to ~$1,200. Could someone help put together a list of what I should get? I want to be able to play games like Fallout 4, GTA V, etc. but won't be doing anything like CAD or 3D rendering. I already have a keyboard, mouse, and Windows. I would need a new monitor, though, if I want 1080p. I heard the new 1070/1080 is coming out soon, should I get that (probably 1070)? I don't know much about overclocking now, but might in the future just to squeeze another year or two before upgrading so I would like that option if possible. Oh, even though I'm doing some research on my own, any links for newbies on putting the things together, or just PC parts in general, would be helpful.

Thank you in advance!:)

Last edited:
For the CPU, get an i7 6700k. 8gb (2x4 dual channel kit) of 2800 mhz or better name brand RAM. Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157634. EVGA Super Nova GS 650 power supply. Samsong Evo 250gb SSD. Noctua NH-D15 cooler. That will get the discussion started. I love the NZXT Source 530 case in my sig but many on this forum are down on NZXT cases. The one I chose is inexpensive, well made, has lots of fan spaces and will accommodate a 3x120 or a 2x140 water cooler radiator as well.

Last edited:
Stop advertising my setup, it's mine I tell you, mine ;)

Get a 1070 when they come out (make sure to check reviews) or a 1080 now if you can't wait and that's really all the horsepower you will need for gaming for a long while. You won't even need to overclock in today's games :)

For the CPU, get an i7 6700k. 8gb (2x4 dual channel kit) of 2800 mhz or better name brand RAM. Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157634. EVGA Super Nova GS 650 power supply. Samsong Evo 250gb SSD. Noctua NH-D15 cooler. That will get the discussion started. I love the NZXT Source 530 case in my sig but many on this forum are down on NZXT cases. The one I chose is inexpensive, well made, has lots of fan spaces and will accommodate a 3x120 or a 2x140 water cooler radiator as well.
Thank you for the suggestions
Stop advertising my setup, it's mine I tell you, mine ;)

Get a 1070 when they come out (make sure to check reviews) or a 1080 now if you can't wait and that's really all the horsepower you will need for gaming for a long while. You won't even need to overclock in today's games :)

Your setup being advertised must mean that it's good ;).

What monitor would you guys suggest?

This is what I have so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2qQCpg. The rest will be put into a 1070 when it come out. The RAM has so many different versions around the same price point so I just picked the one with a review (a review, one lol). Any changes I should make?

With this build, what would be the first thing that would have to be upgraded in the future? I know it'll probably be a while but estimated time until then?

With this build, what would be the first thing that would have to be upgraded in the future? I know it'll probably be a while but estimated time until then?

Hard to say as everything in the future is kind of an unknown. We don't know how much for sure what the next Intel CPU coming out will actually improve performance over what we have already recommended. I'm not even sure if it will use the same motherboard chipset and socket. Future video card releases, maybe, might be the most significant performance improvement. I'd say you're good for three years with what we've recommended.

Most times, the first thing that needs upgrading is the GPU, which also usually ends up being the most expensive part.

Alright so I've been looking around and apparently a full tower is quite large. Do I need that for my build? Or will a mid-tower be enough? What about the NZXT S340? Any problem fitting stuff in there? I don't really care for amazing looking case, as long as it's functional and have good airflow, etc.. Plus it'll save me a couple bucks.

Also, what do you guys think of the Asus VX238H 23'' monitor?

Thanks again

Agreed with Trents here, my own experience with the s340 is somewhat lackluster. Although the case in itself is nice and small and stylish and very cool as the fans are right next to your components (according to the wife) if you use all fan slots it tends to get very loud. Got her Corsair LED AF140x3 + AF120x1 case + SP120x2 212EVO and even on the silent profile i can hear them over my own setup on maximum speed as it has a tendency to vibrate/rattle.

Monitor seems very solid for a 1080p :thup:

Imo, bump up the size on the ssd. Given your budget, I would even say you're probably ok getting a 1tb. You're spending ~130-140 on 256gb and 1tb spinner, another 70 bucks gets you into 1 tb territory. "Cheaper" SSD's are now better than ever, with near imperceptible gains going with the extremely high end (samsung/intel). If you can "Feel" the difference between 525mbps vs 498mbps youre name is probably clark kent. PNY and OCZ are giving great value for money nowadays.

Imo, bump up the size on the ssd. Given your budget, I would even say you're probably ok getting a 1tb. You're spending ~130-140 on 256gb and 1tb spinner, another 70 bucks gets you into 1 tb territory. "Cheaper" SSD's are now better than ever, with near imperceptible gains going with the extremely high end (samsung/intel). If you can "Feel" the difference between 525mbps vs 498mbps youre name is probably clark kent. PNY and OCZ are giving great value for money nowadays.

Hm...ok. Could you suggest which one I should get? I don't know much about SSD

Stay with Samsung Evo. Just get a bigger one if you feel there is merit to upsizing that component. Samsung is the brand of choice around here, no doubt about that. But there are some other good brands, too. Adata makes good units for less.

If you can I would look for a monitor with a IPS panel it has a better viewing 178 degree viewing angle, also better colors.

Stay with Samsung Evo. Just get a bigger one if you feel there is merit to upsizing that component. Samsung is the brand of choice around here, no doubt about that. But there are some other good brands, too. Adata makes good units for less.

While the merits for samsung are there, the "lesser" brands have certainly closed the gap considerably. Its getting to the point where youre starting to pay for the name. The controllers on the cheaper ones are actually pretty decent now. The major differences are write times... which in real world applications really aren't super noticeable anyway.

Back