• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestion for $800 Max Build for use with Focusrite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In terms of RAM, you could easily under purchase at 8 GB *IF* the MB has RAM slots that you can install your own RAM. I stayed with DDR4 for the higher speed from DDR3 and lower cost from DDR5. Buy all the 32 GB you want. It's probably cheaper to buy it seperate anyway. Just do your homework after you buy the computer to match size and speed. To give yourself an idea of costs, plan to buy an Intel CPU and look at dual channel RAM kits. This will ball-park you for what you want. Note: AMD compatible RAM can be more fun to find and will cost a few extra dollars. Nothing too bad but the very cheapest Intel compatible RAM will be really cheap.

I found a ASUS S500TD Desktop

$626 but only 8GB of RAM.

$190 for 3 year warranty.

I'd buy it with my credit card for that extra year of warranty. Save the $190 for upgrades or just buy more PC.

Link this for $800.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...y-512gb-ssd-mist-blue/6501298.p?skuId=6501298
In the options it does not show any ram above 16gb.....I would like to have 32.
I miss the old places where you could change components....

If he has a Costco near by, it doesn't have the same degree of support as a microcenter or bb, but they can have some pretty solid deals on PCs. For example a few months ago we were able to get a 12400, 16GB RAM and 512GB nvme lenovo box for $650 for the office. It looks like that sold out, but it's always worth checking imho.

$626 but only 8GB of RAM.

$190 for 3 year warranty.

I'd buy it with my credit card for that extra year of warranty. Save the $190 for upgrades or just buy more PC.

Link this for $800.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...y-512gb-ssd-mist-blue/6501298.p?skuId=6501298
You might find that if you buy with less RAM, toss it and install your own RAM, it may be cheaper than getting a machine with the RAM you want.

If he has a Costco near by, it doesn't have the same degree of support as a microcenter or bb, but they can have some pretty solid deals on PCs. For example a few months ago we were able to get a 12400, 16GB RAM and 512GB nvme lenovo box for $650 for the office. It looks like that sold out, but it's always worth checking imho.
I've noticed the Costco that I go to either has expensive slim PCs or expensive gaming oriented PCs.

I miss the days of beige box PCs. Not the super old days more like the 90s. Almost everything was expandable.

For sure, they have more budget stuff on line though. I honestly tend to ignore all that stuff at the front of the store but I'll include Costco if I'm shopping online.

Back